Usable Fpen Friendly Comp Book $0.52 At Target

goatgolfer

My Roaring Spring comp book is nearly full and ebay is $4 + shipping. Purchased Vietnamese made 100 page composition book from Target for $0.52 today. Item #081-01-0244. Not terrible bleed nor feathering with my wettest combo Noodlers AHAB + Bay State Blue. Internet says they are only available in store.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink Stained Wretch

• wastelanded

• J85909266

• richila

My favourite paper at the moment is an a4 dot pad by Rhodia no bleed through whatsoever.Its a little more expensive than yours,but I think worth it.

The only thing I can't get used to is the fact that with fine nibs all dark colours look similar.

My favourite paper at the moment is an a4 dot pad by Rhodia no bleed through whatsoever.Its a little more expensive than yours,but I think worth it.

The only thing I can't get used to is the fact that with fine nibs all dark colours look similar.

Let me see...

Rhodia A4 dot pad - $14.50 Versus - Vietnamese made, 100 page notebook - $0.52. I suppose if one has the disposable income then money isn't an issue.

Please don't take this as a criticism because it is not intended that way.

Before I started collecting and acquiring fountain pens, about 10-12 years ago, I might have considered someone who paid $50.00 - $100.00 or more for a plastic, oops I mean acrylic, pen, somewhat misdirected in their priorities. Of course right now I might easily identify myself with that "label". I can justify my behavior by thinking of all the money I save by not having a television or cable access and using that disposable income for more important priorities.

Please consider this an observation of the "human condition" not as a criticism because it is not intended that way.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I love Roaring Springs and many of their sugarcane based papers. I use them for most of my writing as I was getting them for under $2 a notebook through a coop. Now Amazon is stocking them pretty regularly and with Prime I get them pretty easily and for a decent price, still cheaper than Rhodia, Miquelruis and Black 'N Red which I was buying regularly and didnt nearly accommodate my writing habits. With Roaring Springs, I can get the 2-5 subject notebooks with 150-250 pages of the larger 8 1/2 X 11 notebooks, which I easily use the whole thing in a month

I just recently found their composition book which I cannot find at Target (:

Life isn't always what you make it. Sometimes it just falls in your lap and you have to deal with it.

I use a Gregg Ruled Steno Notebook made by SCM Office Supplies as a journal and have no problem with bleed through or feathering, and you can pick them up at any office supply store for very little. Since my wife is a reporter, she uses them for taking notes so we usually have several around the house.

My Roaring Spring comp book is nearly full and ebay is $4 + shipping. Purchased Vietnamese made 100 page composition book from Target for $0.52 today. Item #081-01-0244. Not terrible bleed nor feathering with my wettest combo Noodlers AHAB + Bay State Blue. Internet says they are only available in store.

Right now I'm looking at SIX RS comp books that I use on a nearly daily basis for penmanship practice!!!!

I use at least FOUR different types/colors of ink with various pens....and have YET to see any serious bleed-through or feathering.....

Granted.....MOST of my nibs are EF, so that DOES make a bit of a difference....;)

IIRC....the average price was ~$1.50 each!!!")

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

I actually consider $0.52 to be too high a price :yikes: .

I bought some Composition Books at Target some years ago when they were going for $0.25 each. I considered that a tolerably good buy. During my most recent Back to School trolling last year I believe that Target had the Composition Books for $0.50. I passed on those.

I write using a clipboard a lot, or in cramped spaces. What I use for the most part are spiral notebooks. I can fold those over and easily clip them to the clipboard. I haven't tried that with a Composition Book, but I think that the Composition Book would not be so easy to use when folded completely in half and clipped to a clipboard.

Those $0.25 Composition Books I got years ago were of higher quality than most of the inexpensive notebooks that are around. They might have been made by Mead. The various spiral notebooks are frequently made in China, or Brazil or Mexico or Malaysia, as well as Viet Nam. I bought a pair of Viet Namese spiral notebooks for $0.17 each about three years ago; i found them to be prone to feathering. They didn't feather much, but it was more than is usual for the inexpensive papers I use.

My best buys of spiral notebooks have occurred, not that many years ago during Back to School sales at Target and Staples. I've paid $0.05 to $0.10 per notebook in those past sales. Alas, those days are apparently over :crybaby: . I think that the last time I made a large buy of this sort of thing, at Staples, I paid something around $0.15 each for the spiral notebooks. Target doesn't really try to be competitive with them in that particular item during Back to School sales anymore.

Luckily, I stocked up when the prices were good and so I've got at least five years of spiral notebooks around the manse awaiting ink.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Keep in mind, Baystate Blue actually performs better with bleeding and feathering on normal paper than it does on high quality paper. Very strange ink. It feathers like crazy on Rhodia and Apica, but almost none on cheap notepads or printer paper.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

There are many, many bargains to be had with fp-friendly paper. I've found that Mead and Cambridge branded products tend to take fp ink very well, even the index cards. And they can be found at most dollar stores.

Wal-Mart puts out some good notebooks, and Moleskine style journals that have good thick paper.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

could not get the page to cut and paste.. just saw this here, Im always looking for a5 size cheap.... 52 cents bout 5 with tax under 3$... wwoooot

I tried the bleed test and IF I try hard I can make it bleed, so like a Rhodia for me, the blob with my broad Delta 14k nib create zero bleed.. 100 sheets 200 pages... from Taiwan

thank you for the find... now if I could get this type of deal in an a4....

local target had it in stock!!! very nice find.. must be a disco

Edited by freeboy