Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Leaks From Converter.. Why Is This And How Can I Prevent It?

7heDaniel

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage (pictured) and for some reason it leaks from the converter and into the barrel. It doesn't actually leak out of the nib, and I only ever see the ink when I unscrew the barrel but, as I'm sure you can appreciate, this is annoying regardless.

I currently have Mont Blanc Irish Green in there. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the ink properties, but I don't think it's done this with any other ink before. Another thing I'm thinking it might be is the temperature. I walk to and from school every day, and at the moment (here in the UK), it's extremely cold. In fact - it was even snowing here today (I'll only take one pen to school tomorrow I think and make sure I keep it warm). Could a low temperature make the pen leak a little? It's fine sitting on my desk at the moment. I've written with it and there are no leaks, until I get to school and have a look inside the barrel to find ink over the converter.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7heDaniel

• jar

• corgicoupe

• ppdiaporama

The first step would be to switch to a cartridge to see if the leak goes away.

If there is no leak with the cartridge, get a new Sheaffer converter.

Also, make sure you only use Sheaffer converters, but I'm sure you already know that.

My Website

The first step would be to switch to a cartridge to see if the leak goes away.

If there is no leak with the cartridge, get a new Sheaffer converter.

Also, make sure you only use Sheaffer converters, but I'm sure you already know that.

I'll certainly give that a try. Will a Parker cartridge work okay, or should I get a specific brand of cartridge?

I carry my pens (including a Sheaffer) everyday in my shoulder bags in temperatures far below anything that you'll ever experience in London and I've never had any issues with leaking from the bottom. If the pen was to completely freeze, the ink would expell from the nib as it alsways takes the path of least resistance.

I believe that Jar is right in pointing you to the converter ... I've only ever had ink leak through the bottom when I didn't insert the cartridge or converter correctly.

I'll certainly give that a try. Will a Parker cartridge work okay, or should I get a specific brand of cartridge?

I believe only a Sheaffer cartridge will work.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Hi,

You need to use a Sheaffer cartridge, other makes will not fit. unless you find some with flat ends like the standard Sheaffer one.

Andy

No, a Parker or International Standard or Cross or Lamy or anything other than a Sheaffer cartridge or a Sheaffer converter will leak.

My Website

The OP says *pictured*, but I don't see one. Perhaps it's leaking because the current converter is not a Sheaffer?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Can't see any picture as well, and most probably the current cartridge/converter is not sheaffer.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

The OP says *pictured*, but I don't see one. Perhaps it's leaking because the current converter is not a Sheaffer?

For some reason I can't get the image to load up, which is annoying. But it was only a picture of the Sheaffer capped. I doubt it would have served as any help for diagnosing the problem.

This is what your converter should look like --> gr_5583.jpg

Notice how the top is flat ... there is no nipple like on a Parker or international converter.

Cartridges look like this --> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IKr56NqKL._SY300_.jpg

They are a simple cylinder. They are not tapered like Parkers or International cartridges.

Notice how the top is flat ... there is no nipple like on a Parker or international converter.

Cartridges look like this --> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IKr56NqKL._SY300_.jpg

They are a simple cylinder. They are not tapered like Parkers or International cartridges.

That's what my converter looks like and I can't see any problems with it.

That's what my converter looks like and I can't see any problems with it.

Look very closely at the (likely red) plastic end. Sometimes a crack can develop there. The next most likely failure is a leaky piston head which will show ink getting on the turning knob. The answer in both cases is to just replace the converter.

My Website

There is sometimes, some variation in the diameter of the piercing tubes from one pen to another. Don't know why, but I've encountered it often. A converter may be a snug fit on one pen, and a loose fit on another. I haven't had a chance to try putting the end of the converter in boiling water to see if the ID of the nipple (and there is one - internal to the converter) returns to the original, tighter ID.

In any case, when a converter leaks around the end and the piercing tube, I replace the converter.

There are still some of the old red end squeeze converters left. They work better in a Legacy, and will allow you to use the TD filling option in the orlginal Legacy pens with the TD tube. Higher in price than the piston converter because the supply is distinctly limited. Back in 2008 the service center had a big garbage bag full of them, and that was IT.

You can BTW, pull the plug with the nipple out of a black end converter and install a PVC sac, which was the only difference between the black (latex) and red (PVC) end converters.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Look very closely at the (likely red) plastic end. Sometimes a crack can develop there. The next most likely failure is a leaky piston head which will show ink getting on the turning knob. The answer in both cases is to just replace the converter.

Is the problem likely to be the converter, rather than the pen itself then?

Is the problem likely to be the converter, rather than the pen itself then?

That is certainly the first thing to check. Converters are cheap and easy to replace.

My Website

That is certainly the first thing to check. Converters are cheap and easy to replace.

Okay. Thanks a lot for your help! Just confused about what's causing it is all, as I still can't see any damage to the converter.

Yes, and no.

Yes, you must use the Sheaffer cartridge.

The Legacy Heritage (and I have four now, they are my favorite pen), came in a regular version that could use a cartridge or a converter like shown above, or you could have the Legacy heritage touchdown. The touchdown version can use a cartridge or you can use the removable touchdown converter. You cannot use a regular converter. (Unless you follow Ron's instructions above - I found the process to be too time consuming). My touchdown versions all leaked inside the barrel and it was annoying. I now use the cartridges. I am very happy.

The trick to it all, is to use the cartridges, but use a syringe to drain out the dumb black ink and then refill with a pretty ink. So don't throw away the empty cartridges. Oh, and in keeping with what Ron said, I keep the cartridge with the same pen until it is time to toss the cartridge.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Legacy Heritage touchdown? Hmmmm. Legacy 1 and Legacy 2 were the touchdown versions.

Are we sure the converter is shoved in all the way? Sometimes there is a little resistance. When you fill it, do you see air bubbles mixed in with the ink in the converter chamber?

TERI

Well, my Fantasy Sheaffer that I got from you, Teri, does not leak at all. I use the cartridge and I love it.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/Pens/01-2016_In_Use/20160103_141950.jpg

Equally, this one is my Heritage and it was not a touchdown - again, no leaks and I use the cartridge.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Pens/20150126_125437.jpg

The two sterling ones in the center, which I guess are not Heritage Legacy pens? both had the touchdown (removable) system and that leaked. Once I switched to the regular cartridge, life was great and I had no ink on my hands.

http://sheismylawyer.com/album/In_Use/20151204_191334.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY