La Couleur Royale (? ? ?) - Noodler's

visvamitra

Noodler's is one of the companies that don't need introductions. Nathan's Tardiff work is unimaginable. The guy must be a vampire who doesn't sleep and feeds on developing ideas: new inks, new pens.

The color is nice and the ink behaves well. On the other hand I have a feeling IT"S NOT LA COULEUR ROYALE. I've got this bottle. I enjoy the content but to be honest I expected La Couleur Royal to be violet. It seems my bottle was mislabeled. If anyone could guess which Noodler's I got instead, let me know.

fpn_1452938119__lacouleurroyale_bottle.j

Ink splash

fpn_1452938151__lacouleurroyale_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1452938131__lacouleurroyale_rk.jpg

Software Id

fpn_1452938182__lacouleurroyale_leuchttu

Tomoe River, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

fpn_1452938201__lacouleurroyale_tomoe_1.

fpn_1452938209__lacouleurroyale_tomoe_2.

fpn_1452938218__lacouleurroyale_tomoe_3.

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

fpn_1452938162__lacouleurroyale_leuchttu

fpn_1452938172__lacouleurroyale_leuchttu

fpn_1452938191__lacouleurroyale_leuchttu

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• tfwall

• dcwaites

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two bottles of La Couleur Royale. The first was given to me, but sadly seems to be a mis-labelled bottle of Noodler's Blue. I couldn't tell the difference between that bottle of LCR and my bottle of NB. So, it seems that I now have two bottles of Noodler's Blue, so I scanned the label of the Blue and stuck a printed copy onto the LCR.

So, I ordered a bottle of LCR from the good guys at The Goulet Pen Co, asking them to check that it was of the Bluey-Purply kind, rather than the Bluey-Blue kind. Which they did, and it was. It came with one of the new round plastic 'pill' bottles, so I know it was new stock.

I think that there are a few bottles of mis-labelled Noodler's Blue around, masquerading as La Couleur Royale. I have on, fellow member Tas has one, and now you have one.

As well, if you look through the reviews, there was an older batch still which was much more Reddy-Purply than the current batch.

When I determined the proper recipe of Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire for member amberleadavis, this is the mix I used.

fpn_1448165442__noodlers_inkyman_sapphir

You can clearly see what LCR should look like.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Snap.

As dcwaites recalls, I bought a bottle purely to mix up amberleadavies Inkyman Sapphire. Like you say visvamitra, it's a lovely ink and colour but found I had to nix 2 parts of it with one part of Navaho to make an acceptable version of Inkyman Sapphire.

I'm not a big purple fan so am glad for the error. I use the ink in my parker Urban and adore the marriage.

It does look like Noodler's Blue, however my Noodler's Blue has not even a hint of the pink sheen I'm seeing in these images, not even on Tomoe.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

What you have is a very nice blue, but it's not LCR. I'd like to know what it is.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm gonna give up on this one and stick to my old NB (hoping it has always been a real NB, of course). Although, this new thing might dry a lot faster.

MIke

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Might just have to try this, on my next purchasing sojourn from Goulet.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have 2 bottles of LCR, one purchased about 2 years ago that is purple, one from last year that is blue, but not the same as Noodler's Blue.

Below picture shows the Purple LCR, the Blue LCR, and last swab line is Noodler's Blue. It is on rather absorbent paper and for my own records, sorry for the picture quality.

post-106631-0-50208800-1453006735_thumb.jpg

Edited by zchen

Is Zhivago a green ink, a grey ink or a black ink?

Is Legal Lapis a blue, a blue-green, a green-blue or a turquoise ink?

Starting with the different ways people perceive the same color, adding in display factors from photos and monitors and finishing with batch-to-batch security variation, supply shortages, re-formulations, incremental improvements and in-bottle aging, it is very challenging to meet expectations of those who are buying sight unseen.

Enjoy your bottle of La Couleur Royale from the blue period.

If you are looking for a nice ink in the purple family, check out Purple Martin or Purple Wampum.

Tough question (meant seriously) ==> How could I order and then in fact get the ink (whether or not it is "a" or "the" or "a mistakenly called and/or bottled" LCR) shown above in Post #1 ?

Is anybody starting from Nathan up to the seller who could actually know that ??

I really like that colour and would like to buy it (whatever it's called, or supposed to be called).

Mike

Is Zhivago a green ink, a grey ink or a black ink?

Is Legal Lapis a blue, a blue-green, a green-blue or a turquoise ink?

Starting with the different ways people perceive the same color, adding in display factors from photos and monitors and finishing with batch-to-batch security variation, supply shortages, re-formulations, incremental improvements and in-bottle aging, it is very challenging to meet expectations of those who are buying sight unseen.

Enjoy your bottle of La Couleur Royale from the blue period.

If you are looking for a nice ink in the purple family, check out Purple Martin or Purple Wampum.

I don't agree. There's no way Vis' sample can be called a "purple/violet" as LCR should be. These two colours are totally in different ranges. However huge the displays factors from photos and monitors are, these two are by no means similar.

You may say it's the so-called "batch-to-batch security variation" Noodler's seems to be proud of, but I'd say such a huge difference cannot be that. The difference between this two is as if I got a black ink when I'm trying to buy, say, an Apache Sunset. If such a huge difference in colours is the allowed "security variation" Noodler's can just give up the ink names and start selling random bottles.

As for reformulation, I still don't agree with Noodler's selling Black Swan in Australian Roses under the same name while changing the colour drastically and doesn't mark the change anywhere on the packaging.

I'm leaning more toward the opinion that this is a mislabelled ink, rather than LCR with "security variation"/"reformulation".

Just my two cents.

Edited by Lgsoltek

I'll go along with that completely. WAIT! I'm not bashing but let me say that IMO Noodler's is without doubt the company with the widest and most often seen batch variation. Not the end of the world but I just accept that. Mislabelling is much less common (anywhere) and -- funnily enough -- IMO more "forgivable".

Mike

Tough question (meant seriously) ==> How could I order and then in fact get the ink (whether or not it is "a" or "the" or "a mistakenly called and/or bottled" LCR) shown above in Post #1 ?

Is anybody starting from Nathan up to the seller who could actually know that ??

I really like that colour and would like to buy it (whatever it's called, or supposed to be called).

Mike

As I said in my previous post, I just asked the guys at Goulet's to check the bottle before they packed it. If you want the bluey-blue version, just order a bottle of Noodler's Blue.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I've got the NB (Noodler's Blue) and it looks different than the blue up in Post #1

Mike