Vanness - More Bung Box Colors Available (For Now) 01/15/16

haruka337

Vanness received additional Bung Box colors today, one of which is L'Amant, a color a few members have been waiting for.

Price is $40 per bottle, but with it comes free priority shipping--more affordable and larger color range than available on the Bung Box's amazon website. The inks are in jar bottles, but I prefer that. :)

Enjoy.

Post Edit 11:06 AM Pacific:

L'Amant is now gone, but there are still 8 other colors available.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• haruka337

• pepsiplease69

• swanjun

• Chrissy

4B is a swell color. Love that sheen!

Bungubox/Bung Box: I'm not sure why, but they seem to use the two spellings interchangeably. Though, I think Bung Box is the spelling mostly used outside of Japan.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

4B is a swell color. Love that sheen!

Bungubox/Bung Box: I'm not sure why, but they seem to use the two spellings interchangeably. Though, I think Bung Box is the spelling mostly used outside of Japan.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I did a comparison between 4B and Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. Found them to be similar, 4B seems to have more blue component.

4B was not very cheap though. Might be the costliest bottle of ink I've gotten so far. (I've dropped caran d'ache ink long ago). But I figured: hay I needed to reward myself for no particular reason so I pulled the trigger on it.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I did a comparison between 4B and Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. Found them to be similar, 4B seems to have more blue component.

4B was not very cheap though. Might be the costliest bottle of ink I've gotten so far. (I've dropped caran d'ache ink long ago). But I figured: hay I needed to reward myself for no particular reason so I pulled the trigger on it.

Interesting, though I imagine Shin-Kai is a bit grayer. While it's certainly no doppelganger, the ink I've found to be closest in color and habit to 4B is Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, but it's a mere shadow.

Ah, I love "...just because..." as a reason to buy inks!

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

You're right. Shin-kai is on the greyer side.

I was thinking of also throwing a bottle of Bung box Ink of the Witch into my order at the time I was getting the 4B but I shied away from it at the precipice.

If you've tried ink of the witch, what has been your impression of it, do you like it? Hate it? Indifferent?

I asked myself what kind of a person am I nowadays, and the answer came: someone who is likely to dabble only with austere shades of blues and blacks and very unlikely to be playing with purples and oranges. The decision was made henceforth.

I was thinking of also throwing a bottle of Bung box Ink of the Witch into my order at the time I was getting the 4B but I shied away from it at the precipice.

If you've tried ink of the witch, what has been your impression of it, do you like it? Hate it? Indifferent?

I asked myself what kind of a person am I nowadays, and the answer came: someone who is likely to dabble only with austere shades of blues and blacks and very unlikely to be playing with purples and oranges. The decision was made henceforth.

I happened to see a review of Ink of Witch the other day. The buyer hated it and said it was just black ink with the faintest hint of very dark purple. She said she was really disappointed. It put me off it completely. I'm pleased I chose 4B when I had the opportunity to buy that from Vanness previously. Mine is in the vase bottle too which I prefer.

If you like subtle inks, it's a great color. It can pass for black, but upon further inspection, it's decidedly a dark purple--fantastic work ink and work appropriate (as long as no one looks too closely at it). This ink isn't meant for one who enjoys louder or more obvious colors--wait, doesn't Amber like Ink of the Witch :huh:?

Personally, I enjoy it and its clandestine qualities. As far as behavior goes, it's typical of a Sailor ink, which is quick to moderate dry time, nice lubrication and plays nice in most pens.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I got a bottle of bung box 4B not too long ago from vanness.

Silly question: on the packaging, the branding says "bungubox" instead of "bung box". Anybody know why?

I think it's probably because of the Japanese syllabary (versus alphabet). They don't have a letter for just G, so the closest they could get when writing it out would be the syllable "gu." It happens often with syllables ending in "u" that the vowel sound is quiet—for example "sou desu" (meaning "that's right") comes out sounding like sew dess—so when a Japanese speaker says this aloud, there might be a tiny hint of a "u" after Bung, but not much.

Did that make sense? Kinda rambly...

ETA: Basically, when you spell it in Japanese, it's Bungu, and when they turned that into English, they kept the U.

Edited by swanjun

If you like subtle inks, it's a great color. It can pass for black, but upon further inspection, it's decidedly a dark purple--fantastic work ink and work appropriate (as long as no one looks too closely at it). This ink isn't meant for one who enjoys louder or more obvious colors--wait, doesn't Amber like Ink of the Witch :huh:.

Personally, I enjoy it and it's clandestine qualities. As far as behavior goes, it's typical of a Sailor ink, which is quick to moderate dry time, nice lubrication and plays nice in most pens.

I agree. I really appreciate the qualities of this ink.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I think it's probably because of the Japanese syllabary (versus alphabet). They don't have a letter for just G, so the closest they could get when writing it out would be the syllable "gu." It happens often with syllables ending in "u" that the vowel sound is quietfor example "sou desu" (meaning "that's right") comes out sounding like sew dessso when a Japanese speaker says this aloud, there might be a tiny hint of a "u" after Bung, but not much.

Did that make sense? Kinda rambly...

ETA: Basically, when you spell it in Japanese, it's Bungu, and when they turned that into English, they kept the U.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

The other name I saw was Iroshizuku Kosu-mosu with the English name Cosmos. Maybe the same thing is going on there.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

The other name I saw was Iroshizuku Kosu-mosu with the English name Cosmos. Maybe the same thing is going on there.

Yes, exactly! :D

I have several Bungu Box inks that I bought direct...I really like them...BUT with the recent price increases that have occurred with the Bungu Box inks, I have moved on to other, MUCH better value inks.

Happy Writing!

I'm waiting until they get the old style bottles back...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I'm waiting until they get the old style bottles back...

I hope the old bottles never come back as it can be a nightmare to open. T-T

The jar bottle, while not as elegant, has its own modern charm and does not glue itself shut with its own ink. :P

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I hope the old bottles never come back as it can be a nightmare to open. T-T

The jar bottle doesn't glue itself shut with its own ink. :P

But don't you have trouble filling from the squat bottles that don't come with reservoirs? My bottles are mostly full, but I'm already hitting the bottom of the bottle with the nib in order to fully submerge it, and it's a small nib. :(

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

But don't you have trouble filling from the squat bottles that don't come with reservoirs? My bottles are mostly full, but I'm already hitting the bottom of the bottle with the nib in order to fully submerge it, and it's a small nib. :(

That is an unfortunate drawback to the jar bottles, but I fill most of my pens via ink (industrial) syringe. No mess involved and I get a perfectly full ink fill every time. An ink syringe is also very useful when preparing ink sample vials. :)

I do understand that some pens cannot be filled directly with a syringe, such as most vintage pens. However, there is a bit of a time consuming method around that: dripping ink from the syringe, drop by drop, on to the feed, which will draw in the ink. Slow going, but it works.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

That is an unfortunate drawback to the jar bottles, but I fill most of my pens via ink (industrial) syringe. No mess involved and I get a perfectly full ink fill every time. An ink syringe is also very useful when preparing ink sample vials. :)

I do understand that some pens cannot be filled directly with a syringe, such as most vintage pens. However, there is a bit of a time consuming method around that: dripping ink from the syringe, drop by drop, on to the feed, which will draw in the ink.

I'm using Japanese C/C pens with my squat Sailors, so thankfully don't have the vintage pen problem. :) I've been thinking of filling the converter directly using a syringe, but I'm so clumsy I can end up squirting ink everywhere even when refilling a cartridge with a syringe. :P The bottles don't leave one with much of a choice though.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

• 5 weeks later...