Air Corp Blue Black - Noodler's

visvamitra

Noodler's is one of the companies that don't need introductions. Nathan's Tardiff work is unimaginable. The guy must be a vampire who doesn't sleep and feeds on developing ideas: new inks, new pens.

Air Corp Blue / Black has great flow, doesn't bleed, and I haven't observed any feathering. I wonder though why it's called blue black? It's more of a green/black. The color variation is quite nice.

fpn_1452804256__aircorp_bottle.jpg

Ink splash

fpn_1452803310__aircorp_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1452803287__aircorpblueblack_rk.jpg

Software Id

fpn_1452803335__aircorp_leuchtturm_3.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

fpn_1452803351__aircorp_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1452803358__aircorp_tomoe_2.jpg

fpn_1452803363__aircorp_tomoe_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

fpn_1452803317__aircorp_leuchtturm_1.jpg

fpn_1452803328__aircorp_leuchtturm_2.jpg

fpn_1452803342__aircorp_leuchtturm_4.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Biber

• TheVintagelife

• Chumango

• Abner C. Kemp

There definitely is blue in there,but yes, it appears more green. Then again, in fine nibs, it sometimes looks just black. Which is why this is one of my favorite inks, the variation from pen to pen is rather large as far as color is concerned, but it is always well behaved. It has worked well in all my pens for years now.

Thanks for the review and the very nice scans.

Edited by dan in montreal

This ink was recommended to me as a very close analog to Sailor Miruai, which was discontinued when I became interested in it a few years back. Great color - is it green? is it blue? is it black? Very vibrant and reminiscent of the mineral dioptase.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I had a sample awhile back -- way too much green in there for my tastes. It does behave quite well apart from the usual dry times associated with super saturated Noodler's inks.

Green black, very well behaved on most papers, and good water resistance. But it takes a long time to dry, especially on higher grade paper.

Don't care what its title is, it's a fabulous ink!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

i had this ink once. a very interesting teal shade of color. too bad i'm not a fan of greenish ink and was expecting more blue from this ink, and so i gave it away. otherwise, a nice ink.

-rudy-

It's most certainly in no way blue. But it is one of my desert island inks, an Indispensable. ACBB is also a versatile ink. One can dilute it 1:1 with almost no change except more shading. Keep diluting for a very useable green that comes close to Diamine Umber.

Excellent review as always!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

This was one of the first inky I bought and it is still my favourite green black. Green, though. Not blue.

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

• 1 year later...

I'm hooked on this ink. It grew on me from not preferring the green color, to really appreciating the balance and vibrancy of the colors.

As I grew to like it I really appreciated the teal aspect that gives quite a bit of depth to the green which, all in all, is close to black, something I love about it. It's a great alternative to using black inks while maintaining a threshold of legibility black inks use to only provide for me. I think it's because, though dark, the colors are vibrant, but not vivid, which I like of course.

The dry time can be a pain unless you have some blotter papers. I got one in my Seven Seas Writer, and just ordered a packet more of sheets from Goulet.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post - but how does the color compare to sailor miruai - I am in the market for a dark teal / green-black ink and these are the shortlist right now...(since lamy petrol is hard to come across). I guess the sailor has more sheen, but what about the base colors, are they similar?

I believe Miruai is more green, though overall pretty similar. At least Miruai is a bit more green than my ACBB was. I'd rank these three very similar inks as follows, from more blue to more green: ACBB -> Lamy Petrol -> Sailor Miruai

(Disclaimer: there's some batch variation with Noodler's inks. One bottle might have more or less green-tinted ink.)

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I believe Miruai is more green, though overall pretty similar. At least Miruai is a bit more green than my ACBB was. I'd rank these three very similar inks as follows, from more blue to more green: ACBB -> Lamy Petrol -> Sailor Miruai

(Disclaimer: there's some batch variation with Noodler's inks. One bottle might have more or less green-tinted ink.)

Thank you. Very helpful.

Check out the comparison thread of dozens (?) of greens that was done a couple of years ago. If I can find it real quick I'll post it. It shows Miruai in the context of other greens.

Here it is:

Part 1: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/215593-30-green-inks-reviewed-part-1-introduction-and-swabs/?hl=greens

Part 2: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/215599-30-green-inks-reviewed-part-2-writing-samples-and-performance/?hl=greens

Now that I try to recreate my comparison, I'm at a loss to remember how I actually connected the two inks, as one is usually considered a green and the other a blue black. When researching inks i find it best to do a google image search, which will bring up photos of the inks. Flikr is a good source. Scans are just not accurate.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Be sure to shake the ACBB. It appears to be a mixture of a turquoise or teal ink (Noodler's [standard] Turquoise??) and Noodler's black. The black probably has a hint of yellow in it which shifts the color a bit towards the green. I think it is an amazing color and quite permanent.

• 5 weeks later...

Reminds me of Private Reserve Ebony Blue.

No way I'm calling that ink "blue", either!

I'm curious if you mean ebony green?

The reason I ask is I bought a bottle of ebony blue from Goulet and it was green.

Contacted them and they sent a replacement and let me keep the green on and the new one was ebony blue and actually blue.

Bottle 1st bottle that was green said ebony blue but was mislabeled I was told. So I now have both ebony blue and ebony green.

The true ebony blue is a really nice dark blue black.

Edited by stoof2010

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg