mehandiratta

PILOT CUSTOM 74 - MUSIC NIB

211.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Music Nib

This happens to be my latest addition or you may call addiction to Pilot Pens. After buying and using PILOT CAPLESS I realised that I need more Pilot Pens and lot of fellow fountain pen users and friends recommended me to buy Custom 74 and here I must thank Dhruv for connecting me with Bunkidou Shop. Dealing with Bunkidou was an amazing experience and his service was excellent. I actually bought two PILOT pens from him, CUSTOM 74 and CUSTOM HERITAGE 92. And the EMS service was so amazing that the pens reached to India from Japan within 5 days. I will be doing reviews of both, however this review is about PILOT CUSTOM 74 WITH MUSIC NIB.

DESIGN & BUILT : 4/5

The pen is regular sized classic cigar shape pen. The pen comes in various colours like Black, Burgundy, Dark Green and Dark Blue with gold trims. There are demonstrator versions also available with chrome trims also, but the music nib is only available in Black colour in Japan.

221.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Beauty Shot

6.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Uncapped and Capped – Classical Cigar Shape Pen

The classical cigar shaped pen is thickest at the cap centre-band and cap tapers down to rounded finial at top. The finial is visually separated by gold colour band. The clip is stiff and sturdy and has a ball end.

161.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom – Cap View – The clip is stiff and sturdy and has ball shaped end

171.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Cap View

151.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Cap Inner View

The cap has dual centre band, with slim one at top and broad one below where branding is done and reads “PILOT – MADE IN JAPAN *CUSTOM 74*” . The clip also displays the the brand name PILOT engraved.

201.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Centreband

5.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Close up showing clip & centreband branding and beautiful nib

The pen is extremely well detailed out. There is a gold colour band at the bottom of barrel separating it from the bottom finial and also there is gold colour band at the bottom of grip section (as you can see from above image) separating it from barrel.

191.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Rounded Finials separated via gold trim bands

The material used is plastic resin which is of same quality as Pilot 78G, thus nothing premium in that regards.The material is very well polished and finished. The quality control is superb and amazing and that is where Pilot excels.

The pen uncaps in 1 – 3/4 turns and the grip section is slight concave albeit just a little bit.

Below are the few images showing the comparative with other pens:

4.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 vs Jinhao X-750 vs Lamy Safari

2.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 vs Jinhao X-750 vs Lamy Safari – Capped

3.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 vs Jinhao X-750 vs Lamy Safari – Uncapped and Posted

I actually wanted to buy demo version but music nib was not available available in any other colour, so I had to settle for this. But this black colour has grown over me because of its classical, understated and professional look.

BALANCE : 5/5

The pen is made of resin and is light weight and superbly well balanced whether you write with cap posted at the back or not. yes the cap posts securely at the back. The pen is of regular length comparable to that of Lamy Safari as shown in comparison above. The pen is slim and the grip is perfect.

8.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Writing Unposted

9.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Writing Posted

Few specifications are as follows:

Length (Capped) : 141 mm

Length (Uncapped) : 125 mm

Length (Posted) : 158 mm

Dia (Section) : 9.7 mm

Dia (Barrel) : 11.5 mm

Dia (Cap) : 14.5 mm

Weight (Capped) : 20 g

Weight (Uncapped) : 12 g

Pen is very ergonomic. I absolutely love this pen because of the grip and balance.

NIB & INK FILLING MECHANISM: 4.5/5

Now comes the best part for which the pen was bought irrespective of the colour and by the way this colour has really grown on me. It looks so decent and professional. Well the pen comes in various nib widths, EF, F, SF, SFM, M, SM, FM, B, BB, MS, & C but the I am here using Music (MS) nib which has 3 tines. The friction fit nib is #5, 14 K Gold nib and writes amazingly soft and wet. I would say it writes fairly wet on higher medium side. The nib offers amazing and precise line variation . Its actually a kind of very wet stub and thus it helps in shading a lot. Even this black ink shades a little bit. It suits my script writing very well.

7.jpeg?w=1000
Pilot Custom – 14k #5 Gold nib – Beautiful Nib
Writing cursive with the nib gives you a feedback but by no means it is scratchy. Feed is made of plastic. When first I inked this pen it used to get dry but after flushing the pen its a loveliest wet stubby pen I have. Ink just dries at 25 sec mark.
101.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom – Nib Unit View – Top

111.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Nib Unit View – Side

121.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom – Nib Unit View – Bottom

The pen actually came only with black ink cartridge so had to purchase the converter separately. It actually takes all the Pilot proprietary converters , CON 20, CON 50, CON 70 and also Pilot cartridges. I like CON 50 because its easy to fill and clean and also I like its small ink capacity because I like changing inks.

131.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom – Ink filling via Pilot cartridge or converter

The pen can not be used as eyedropper because of metal tenon underneath the grip section which accepts the cartridge or converter.

141.jpeg?w=1000

Pilot Custom – Metal tenon

I have enjoyed writing every single letter with this pen. Below are the images of my handwritten review containing ink drying times and writing samples:

custom-74_1.jpg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Handwritten Review – Page 1

custom-74_2.jpg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Handwritten Review – Page 2

custom-74_3.jpg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Handwritten Review – Page 3

custom-74_4.jpg?w=1000

Pilot Custom 74 – Handwritten Review – Page 4

CONCLUSION: 13.5/15

The pen is no nonsense , classic looking pen. And at 82 USD shipped via EMS from Japanto India in 5 days, its terrific value for money. Cant beat that. Lot of retailer are selling it at 160 USD. So buying via Rakuten really helped. I recommend this to all the fountain pen users who like using stub nibs. Must buy.

What I Like:

Classic Design

Superb Finish & very well detailed

Ergonomic Size & Wonderful Balance

Beautiful 14K wet Nib

Better than many higher priced pens

Complete Value for money

What I don’t Like:

Material quality is same as Pilot 78G

Proprietary Converter and Cartridges.

img_20160110_151341-01.jpeg?w=1000

This is for the love of my life

My other reviews can be checked at my blog here : MEHANDIRATTA

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• bone215

• Cryptos

• SeminarianMike

Nice review. I've been toying with the idea of a music nib.

Your point about the plastic being the same as in the Pilot 78G has just killed the whole Pilot 74 line for me, as I really do not like the feel of the 78G. That's okay, saves me the trouble of buying one and finding that out myself. So, helpful review from that aspect. :)

With regard to the music nib itself, in your opinion how does it compare to - say - a 1.5 mm stub?

Nice review. I've been toying with the idea of a music nib.

Your point about the plastic being the same as in the Pilot 78G has just killed the whole Pilot 74 line for me, as I really do not like the feel of the 78G. That's okay, saves me the trouble of buying one and finding that out myself. So, helpful review from that aspect. :)

With regard to the music nib itself, in your opinion how does it compare to - say - a 1.5 mm stub?

Plastic is like 78G but a bit more thicker...

Secondly the instrument is wonderful...

if i compare it with 1.5 stub... it is more wet and soft in comparison with stiff stub nib... JoWo 1.5 have bit drier flow... this is super wet...

I loved it... As far 1.5 stub is concerned you can still write cursive smoothly... with this you will have more feedback... but not scratchy at all...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Very nice comprehensive review and nice to hear of the good service by Bunkidou I think I may have to buy one of these.

I have the demonstrator model with a medium nib for which I paid the top retail price here in the US. My pen writes nicely and the nib has a slight bit of "spring" which makes writing with it more enjoyable. The plastic on the demonstrator does not at all feel cheap; indeed it feels high grade to my hands with a bit a softness. I have a 78g which was the only Pilot pen that ever disappointed me as a writer and the plastic on that pen is clearly inferior compared to my C74. If the plastic on the regular C74s is the same that is a negative for me.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Very nice comprehensive review and nice to hear of the good service by Bunkidou I think I may have to buy one of these.

I have the demonstrator model with a medium nib for which I paid the top retail price here in the US. My pen writes nicely and the nib has a slight bit of "spring" which makes writing with it more enjoyable. The plastic on the demonstrator does not at all feel cheap; indeed it feels high grade to my hands with a bit a softness. I have a 78g which was the only Pilot pen that ever disappointed me as a writer and the plastic on that pen is clearly inferior compared to my C74. If the plastic on the regular C74s is the same that is a negative for me.

It is not inferior by any means... Plastic resin is similar to 78g in color and material.. However on C74 it is very well polished and feels tad better because of more thickness...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thanks for your comprehensive review, Vaibhav. It answered a lot of questions I had about this pen, and particularly the music nib. It's always a pleasure to see how a pen performs in your expert hands. Your writing skill evokes "old school" architect, from before the days of CAD, and becoming a lost art, I'm afraid.

Edited by Manalto

James

Excellent review that leaves me with no questions to ask. Great handwriting, too. I like this pen because it performs well and doesn't cost too much but the nib is really very interesting. Thanks for sharing your impressions with FPN.

Truly Amazing review Vaibhav. We are lucky that you spend so much time and effort in compiling a review of such quality and calibre The effort that has gone into making it really shines through. Please keep up the great work.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Thanks for your comprehensive review, Vaibhav. It answered a lot of questions I had about this pen, and particularly the music nib. It's always a pleasure to see how a pen performs in your expert hands. Your writing skill evokes "old school" architect, from before the days of CAD, and becoming a lost art, I'm afraid.

Thank you Sooo much for liking the review... well i agree with you that the art is becoming lost...

vaibhav mehandiratta

What a review. There is a lot of detail in this. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Thank you again... M glad you liked it

Excellent review that leaves me with no questions to ask. Great handwriting, too. I like this pen because it performs well and doesn't cost too much but the nib is really very interesting. Thanks for sharing your impressions with FPN.

Thank for the compliments... Nib is amazing....lovely wet stubby nib...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Truly Amazing review Vaibhav. We are lucky that you spend so much time and effort in compiling a review of such quality and calibre The effort that has gone into making it really shines through. Please keep up the great work.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Thank you... means a lot coming from you...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Excellent review, thank you.

My pleasure... Thank you for reading and appreciating the review...

vaibhav mehandiratta