Looking For A Pen That Suits Me Specifically That Is Under $200

nmcnick

Uh oh, I may be throwing in a monkey wrench here lol.

I love the 3776 and I actually prefer the look of the pilot 74 to the 92.

However.. I love the look of the Sheaffer 300- my question is, is there another pen out there that is higher quality with some of the same aesthetics? (Multi-colored nib, elegant look)

Is the Waterman Expert comparable in quality to a pilot 74?

Thank you so much for your replies!! I'm digging these pens but I think I'm looking for something that makes even more of a statement, if that makes any sense.

If there's not a high quality writing pen that makes more of a statement under $200, I'd probably go with the pilot 74. I just really think it looks like a reliable pen.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nmcnick

• sirgilbert357

• ink-syringe

• NinthSphere

What pens would you recommend if I wanted to make my presence known? Haha. Not too flashy, but a little "edgy", as the stealth black invincia is.

Is there a pen that actually does this? LOL. Unless you're at a pen show or something, most people won't notice or even care about your pen. Get whatever YOU like best.

I like the Pelikans with their striped bindes. They stand out to me and I adore the way my blue striped M405 writes. My Lamy 2000, although on the other end of the visual spectrum, is also a superb writer and everything about it is just so smooth and fuss free. I'd recommend either one. As to which one offers up more visual appeal...well, that's in the eye of the beholder, so I leave that up to you.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Uh oh, I may be throwing in a monkey wrench here lol.

I love the 3776 and I actually prefer the look of the pilot 74 to the 92.

However.. I love the look of the Sheaffer 300- my question is, is there another pen out there that is higher quality with some of the same aesthetics? (Multi-colored nib, elegant look)

Is the Waterman Expert comparable in quality to a pilot 74?

Thank you so much for your replies!! I'm digging these pens but I think I'm looking for something that makes even more of a statement, if that makes any sense.

If there's not a high quality writing pen that makes more of a statement under $200, I'd probably go with the pilot 74. I just really think it looks like a reliable pen.

Exactly what kind of "statement" are you trying to make?

Exactly what kind of "statement" are you trying to make?

Good question. I'd say generally, a really elegant looking pen. Something that says I'm a writer, I'm dedicated- this is my career (writing).

But- I guess really just a neat looking pen. Maybe making a statement is the wrong phrase- and I know visuals/aesthetics are all preferences, but something that is fairly luxurious and elegant.

Six-pack of black Pilot Varsity pens ------------------- $22
One bottle of Pilot / Namiki black ink ------------------ $17
Heavy-gauge needle & large syringe ------------------ $ 3

Sub -Total $ 42

Repeated three times $ 126
Grand Total $168

Refilling the Varsity pens a few times will make them last a year, or longer. This is enough to get you through college. Statement made : " I have easy-writing pens. I don't get hand cramps. College does not hurt as much as it hurts you. "

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Good question. I'd say generally, a really elegant looking pen. Something that says I'm a writer, I'm dedicated- this is my career (writing).

But- I guess really just a neat looking pen. Maybe making a statement is the wrong phrase- and I know visuals/aesthetics are all preferences, but something that is fairly luxurious and elegant.

Using a FP to start with a pretty good show of dedication to your writing, so bravo on that. I'd say you have that nailed down. Unless you wanna go even more hardcore and get into dip pens, LOL.

To the bold: well, honestly, most of what has been suggested thus far would fit into the luxurious and elegant category. There's been a lot of suggestions with gold nibs, some "classic" black & gold options, some more "edgy" (I'd casually put the Lamy 2000 into that category I guess -- its anything but typical!), etc. Some of these pens just won't have a lot of visual impact until you have one in your hand. I never cared for the Sailor Pro Gears, for instance, until I saw one in the flesh. I was smitten. GORGEOUS but so simple and understated. So go to a brick and mortar store and handle some pens in real life if you can -- it makes a difference.

You might just need to see a bunch of different pens until that ONE pen stands out...and when it does you'll be like "That's the one. That's what I want!". So go to www.gouletpens.com and use their filter by price and limit it to 200 and get started looking. Then do the same thing at another website and another...go to stores if you can. The search is half the fun of buying these things! But the real love happens when the nib meets paper for the first time...

Edit: Oh and most hand cramping can be eliminated with a lighter grip and arm writing instead of finger writing. The pen itself can make a difference, but the best improvements usually come from correcting a bad technique.

Also, read up on nib smoothing and tine aligning techniques. Its not hard at all and once you learn, you don't need to worry about getting a scratchy nib -- you can likely fix it yourself in no time. Practice on a couple of Varsitys (Varsities?) to get the hang of it. Goulet sells a nib smoothing kit if you want to go all out, or just get their micromesh sheet and a cheap loupe off ebay and you'll be able to handle most "scratchy nib" situations.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Hmm. Thanks so much for all the feedback! The pilot custom 92 was mentioned as well. What are the main differences between the 74 and the 92? I think I'm going to get a pilot pen.

There are two main differences - the price and the flat top (and clip). I can't say why, but the flat top and clip don't do it for me; the C74 has quite pleasing lines and I like the ball shaped clip. I have two and have travelled with them and the ease by which you can switch from bottled ink to cartridge makes them trusty companions. The Con70 is fun to play with - it takes more ink than most converters and just seems ingenious. The whole pen is very solidly made and will take some abuse. The M nib maybe lacks the character of more sophisticated pens - Sailor comes to mind - but in school or on the road I would prefer the unfussiness of the tip over, say, vintage pens. I'm sorry but Pelikan M2xx, while collector's items, are expensive for steel nibs and not very comfortable in the hand (small section; I know, I know, there's some disagreement about that).

Anyway, the CH92 is quite a bit more expensive - I never found a good way to justify that difference although I usually prefer piston fillers. The Con70 is actually better in many ways than the Sailor Realo piston; I recommend it.

If I was traveling with my backpack across Europe, say, or taking copious notes, I probably would grab the C74 and experiment with inks and paper until I was satisfied. I maybe would also look for a good deal on a Pelikan M6xx with an EF nib, which you may find if you look long enough.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Something that says I'm a writer, I'm dedicated- this is my career (writing).

Attach a speech bubble to a headband & wear it when you go out. That way noone will think you're dedicated to being an orthodontist or somesuch.

I like the Platinum 3776 so much i have 2. I like the Pilot Custom 74 almost as much and am using a SFM almost daily now. But i would not get the 91 or the 92, which are no more comfortable or deluxe feeling than the C74. Get the 74 and save some scratch or ...

If you are going for the full $200 you have budgeted get a Custom Heritage 912. That will feel like a step up and the section on that pen is really nice and beefy. A great note taker filled with a con70 and Pilot Blue Black.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

In my experience, the way to get a pen you love is to learn how to tune your nibs. Once you've done that you'll not only enjoy using pens that write wonderfully, but you'll enjoy the process of making them great.

Get some micromesh pads and a 10x magnifying lens. Start on that Lamy and make it great.

One other point; gold nibs are not any better than steel nibs. So if you want a $120 to $150 discount on a gold nibbed pen, buy it with steel.

Alan

Attach a speech bubble to a headband & wear it when you go out. That way noone will think you're dedicated to being an orthodontist or somesuch.

I didn't actually see the "I'm a Writer" part.

In that case ... Pick up a Pelikan M605 on the 'bay. Here's a good one:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-Kolbenfuller-M605-Dunkelblau-F-Feder-Fountain-Pen-with-F-nib-/221996213189?nav=SEARCH

Also, the Pilot CH912 is great. I returned mine for a Sailor PG -

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Professional-Gear-Silver-21K-Fountain-Pen-With-Converter-Brand-New-/181981281329?nav=SEARCH

but I would also recommend the Pilot.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I'd always cross shop www.engeika.com for Sailor and Pilots...

The 14k nibbed Sailor Pro Gear is 105 with a 5 dollar off coupon (you DO have to "register" to see the best price FYI) right now. I doubt you'd be able to tell much of a difference between 14k and 21k...except that the 21k will probably be stiffer...

Thank all of you so much for your replies. I have $200 in an amazon gift card, so unfortunately everything IS limited to amazon. The Franklin-Christoph pens for example are absolutely awesome, put unfortunately do not sell on Amazon. But thanks so much for the recommendations, I will be saving them all for later.

I really love the look of the Xezo Incognito Brass Fountain Pen in Copper, but I can't find any reviews for it other than on Amazon which makes me skeptical. Does anyone else know anything about the Xezo brand?

Otherwise these are a pretty solid representation of the pens I want and the cost. Tell me what you think is most worth my money! Money that is left over is fine. I would like to get some extra inks as well, so whatever the next level pen is- doesn't really matter. I'll find something else to do with the rest of the money. I figured I needed about $60 for other things. (Case, ink, perhaps shipping)

Platinum 3776 - $77

Waterman Hemisphere Deluxe White - $80

Pilot Fountain Pen C74 - $76 + Converter = $86

Pelikan Pura P40 - $90

Xezo Incognito Brass Fountain Pen - $93

Parker Sonnet - $100

Waterman Expert II - $110

Pilot CH92 - $111

Pelikan M205 - $119

Waterman Perspective White - $120

Cross Townsend, Medalist - $128

Sailor Fountain Pen Professional Gear Gold 1911 - $140

As of now I really love the look of the white bodied pens, the waterman perspective and pelikan m205 look appealing because of this. I also love the dual colored nibs, so expert II and Sailor Fountain Pen 1911 look good. In terms of overall aesthetic, I'm a large fan of really all of these though. It's tough to pick pens.. Thoughts though?

There is only one choice to make. Flip a coin. Pick one of these. Come back and thank me later. Or maybe the CH92 if you absolutely must have piston filler but these 2 pens are probably the best value in all of pendom. Workhorse pens, great everyday carry pens that almost never leave my 3 pen carry pouch. I have the 3776 in a glorious B nib and the C74 in the sproingy SFM.

:lol:

Platinum 3776 - $77

Pilot Fountain Pen C74 - $76 + Converter = $86

There is only one choice to make. Flip a coin. Pick one of these. Come back and thank me later. Or maybe the CH92 if you absolutely must have piston filler but these 2 pens are probably the best value in all of pendom. Workhorse pens, great everyday carry pens that almost never leave my 3 pen carry pouch. I have the 3776 in a glorious B nib and the C74 in the sproingy SFM.

:lol:

Thanks, ink-syringe, and thank you to everyone else!

I ended up purchasing a C74 SM with a CON70 converter and gold pilot ink. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival next week.

I can't thank you enough for all the wonderful replies!!

Edited by nmcnick

I'm going to go the other way here and suggest sone sturdy dependable writers for under $20. The JinHao 159, and the JinHao X450. They are presentable in a business setting but most inportantly you are not going to break the bank if they get dropped, dinged or even stolen. For the most part they write first time everytime.

Not everyday, but mostly I carry a Sheaffer Amber javelin demo, or a 159 and X450. I've also found what I think is the coolest lightweight pen out there. It's the wing sung 233 with a conical nib. This pen always brings a comment from others at the table.

Going up a notch in price to $50 or so are the TWISBI family of piston fill, made to be worked and worked on. Definitely worth looking at.

Thanks, ink-syringe, and thank you to everyone else!

I ended up purchasing a C74 SM with a CON70 converter and gold pilot ink. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival next week.

I can't thank you enough for all the wonderful replies!!

Excellent choices.

Spent my day with my C74 and a Con70 full of Pilot blue and a thick pad of L!fe B5 paper.

Love the C74 and the SM is a sweet nib. Not a big fan of converters but the Con70 is a very good one.

I hope it arrives in good shape and you enjoy it.

One question though... What do you mean by gold ink? I was not aware Pilot made gold ink?