Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

Another wonderful design, with the by now customary excellent photographs from Neal.

And seeing that CS nib reminds me that I wrote mine dry last night, so must go and refill it before going back to work.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just had to stop and fill my pen up too, it seems to happen more frequently when the pen you're using has a double broad nib in it!

S'logical!!!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

I've just had to stop and fill my pen up too, it seems to happen more frequently when the pen you're using has a double broad nib in it!

S'logical!!!

Oh very logical and so true. That CS with the broad italic that I purchased from you does consume ink, but hey, ink is cheap - especially when my family just buy me more for Christmas.

I'm just about to finish another 80ml bottle of black ink, and the green ink currently in another pen is also about to be run out. Time to decide on which colour to use next for proof reading :)

I will refrain from explaining in too much detail, but I have spent the best part of the last two days, trying to work on the problem of getting the overlay to fit tightly on the barrel of the Parker International sized pen.

Having got the engraving, and the Hallmarks done at the Assay Office, I then curled the overlay, and then got it silver soldered by my good friend up at Hatton Garden. The next thing was to 'finish' and polish it, which did not present anything untoward, but then when i tried to slip it onto the barrel, it wouldn't go on!

Using fairly course carborundum paper, I first worked on the plastic barrel of the pen. It still wouldn't oblige! So I worked on it some more, and then I had a go at grinding the inside of the overlay, using a small wooden dowel covered in fairly course carborundum paper, and placed in a hand-drill! [You have to compromise if you haven't got the correct equipment to hand!] I protect my hand by using a piece of stiff leather to grip the overlay.

Anyway, if you have ever tried to make one cylinder fit tightly onto a slightly smaller cylinder, my advice [if it doesn't slide straight on!] is to give up! I can assure you, it is almost impossible!!!

Anyway, being the determined individual that I am, I persisted, and now it is done, so the lady who commissioned the pen can collect it tomorrow at Portobello Road.

I must love my work!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol:

And that, Truffle, is why we leave creating such works of art to you.

I fear that in my hands the barrel would have suffered ...

Today at Portobello I had a very good day, the lady who commissioned the overlaid pen came along shortly after I had set-up my stand, to collect it. She paid me, and seemed to be very happy with the end result. I took the liberty of asking her if she could perhaps take a few photographs of the pen being presented to her vicar as and when the time comes for it to be given to him. I'm hoping that he will not object to having his picture posted on this thread, along with his pen.

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many fountain pen collectors, one of them I hadn't seen for a good few years! So, we had quite a lot to chat about!

I sold a few vintage pens during the course of the day, which is always nice!

I will refrain from explaining in too much detail, but I have spent the best part of the last two days, trying to work on the problem of getting the overlay to fit tightly on the barrel of the Parker International sized pen.

Having got the engraving, and the Hallmarks done at the Assay Office, I then curled the overlay, and then got it silver soldered by my good friend up at Hatton Garden. The next thing was to 'finish' and polish it, which did not present anything untoward, but then when i tried to slip it onto the barrel, it wouldn't go on!

Using fairly course carborundum paper, I first worked on the plastic barrel of the pen. It still wouldn't oblige! So I worked on it some more, and then I had a go at grinding the inside of the overlay, using a small wooden dowel covered in fairly course carborundum paper, and placed in a hand-drill! [You have to compromise if you haven't got the correct equipment to hand!] I protect my hand by using a piece of stiff leather to grip the overlay.

Anyway, if you have ever tried to make one cylinder fit tightly onto a slightly smaller cylinder, my advice [if it doesn't slide straight on!] is to give up! I can assure you, it is almost impossible!!!

Anyway, being the determined individual that I am, I persisted, and now it is done, so the lady who commissioned the pen can collect it tomorrow at Portobello Road.

I must love my work!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol:

Phew...that was close. I reckon there's a good few people out there who are glad you do love your work. :thumbup:

A good friend of mine [steven Hull, of Conway Stewart, and Onoto fame!] is coming over to see me today. It is always a great pleasure to see him, [and of course the main topic of conversation will be centred on 'pens', what else!?] Then after chewing the fat for a while, we will be going out for lunch somewhere locally.

No doubt, a bit of 'horse-trading' will take place while he is here!

A good friend of mine [steven Hull, of Conway Stewart, and Onoto fame!] is coming over to see me today. It is always a great pleasure to see him, [and of course the main topic of conversation will be centred on 'pens', what else!?] Then after chewing the fat for a while, we will be going out for lunch somewhere locally.

No doubt, a bit of 'horse-trading' will take place while he is here!

There are a number of people who are interested in buying Steven's new book on the Onoto. Perhaps you might ask how they can do so Henry?

Perhaps via an email address or a website?

Well, Kenlowe, I have seen the 'proof-copy' of the book, and it was wonderful to see all the beautiful pictures [in colour] of all the different models that De La Rue Company made, but in Steven's very thorough manner, every aspect of the company's production has been covered, including the Table Games and playing cards that they also made.

Sadly the book will not be officially released until the London Pen Show, which I think is to happen on the first Sunday in October of this year.

I will almost certainly be in touch with him very soon, and I will ask him if he will be selling any copies before October, and I will post any news on this thread, OK? But I will obviously have to check with the man himself first!

Sounds good to me. Subject to approval of the Moderators it may be better for Steven if there is a designated thread for this book as opposed to being within this thread but within Market Watch.

This may then permit selected images from within the book and ordering information, either pre or post WES Show.

I can imagine that some would like to preorder, collect at the show and have Steven sign the book.

Talking about the authors of books, one of my clients today, was a gentleman who simply loves Dunhill Namiki fountain pens! I met him first of all about 4 or 5 years ago, when he came to my stand at Portobello, having been told to come and see me about a Dunhill Pen that had a chunk missing from the mouth of the cap! I have no idea who actually referred him to me, but I can only assume that I must have done a similar repair for that person, whoever he was!

Anyway, I did the repair for the gentleman, and he came and collected it from me when he was next in London. He was astonished at the result, and ever since then he keeps providing me with 'crippled' Dunhill Namiki Pens to restore for him! He must have been collecting for quite some time now, and he is in the process of writing a comprehensive book about Dunhill Makie decorated products. I am hoping that he will mention me in the book when it gets published!

Today, he came to see me, with about 6 Dunhill Namiki, and Pilot pens, all of which need various things doing to them to bring them back to a reasonable standard.

So, I will have plenty to keep me busy over the next few weeks!

I have visited the thread which you have referred to Alfredo.

There are two problems here, firstly that I cannot reasonably be expected to know all about the history of a fountain pen which I have bought, and subsequently sold, having got it back to working order! Secondly, having looked at the thread, I am confused about what exactly the man wants in terms of 'more information'!

When I bought the pen, [about a month ago] the cap was quite badly damaged, and consequently I had to find a replacement cap for the pen, I can remember that the lever was not correct for the approximate date of the pen, [it had been fitted with a later Watermans one, in all probability because they frequently broke because there was an inherent weakness at the central pivoting point of the lever-box!]

I was attracted to the pen, mainly because it had an extraordinary flexible nib in it, and the detailed engraving on the broad gold barrel band gave it intrinsic value. I found it interesting to see that it was dated Christmas Day 1915, but that is about as much information as I can give, I'm afraid!

I wish the person who bought it from me the best of luck trying to trace the original owner of the pen, but I think that it would be almost impossible to do that.

Truffle Finder. :)

Tomorrow at Portobello, I'm hoping to see a couple of my fairly regular pen collector people at my booth. One of them will be coming to collect his pen which I have repaired, and the other one has phoned me to tell me that he is starting to get 'withdrawal symptoms', and needs a 'top-up' visit to keep his collection going!

It is awful to think of myself as an 'enabler'!!!

I had a quite pleasant surprise today! Instead of just a couple of my regular customers coming to see me, a couple of tourist groups turned up, one looking for a Mont Blanc ballpoint pen for himself, and the other couple wanted one of the MB Mozart 'mini-pens' that I had in stock.

I also picked up a few pens repairs while I was there, nothing too complicated, so I told the owners that they would be ready to collect next Saturday.

Not a bad day, for this time of year!

🤗🤗🤗 Funny, but on this end I see my emoticon display of pleasure at your winning day. Guess FPN doesn't support the formatting used by this Google phone.

They need an update....haha.

Carry on dear Truffle.

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

It is always a pleasure to get a response from you on this thread, but try as I might, I have been unable to work out what information you were trying to convey!

I have had a few words with some of 'my people', and even the forensic department are stumped!!!

Perhaps you might like to try again!

Truffle Finder. :yikes: :unsure: :rolleyes: