Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

Earlier in the week, I had two phone calls from an old friend of mine, who now lives in California. He was born and bred in London [quite a while ago!] and after working in the jewellery business for most of his working life, he got involved in the Vintage Fountain Pen business.

The reason for the 'blast from the past' was to let me know that he will be flying over here, and arrives on Friday, and he will be coming to see me this coming Saturday with a view to buying a variety of 'spare' nibs.

Whilst I always welcome the idea of keeping busy at my stand at Portobello, when I consider that I will be seeing several other people this Saturday, it could well be a little 'crowded', while my friend selects and inspects each individual nib before he buys them!

Still, 'Pen People' are usually very understanding, and I'm sure that they will try their best to accommodate him, if their visit coincides with his!!!

Of course, I am hoping that they will all arrive nicely 'spaced apart' from each other, but that maybe wishful thinking!

"Che Sara Sara" as they used to say, a long time ago!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some might have said que sera sera too!

Sounds like an opportunity to send your friend away to a coffee shop with his loupe and your spare nibs.

Two years ago I bought a wonderful restored Sheaffer set from a retired American jeweller who was trying his hand at pen restorations for the first time, the set was possibly the best restoration I have seen and I felt very guilty that they only brought $20 at auction. deserved more than that in just the mans time.

Hello 'smiffy20000', I stand corrected regarding the spelling of the motto 'Che sera sera'! And I'm sorry if I have caused you to go around all day singing that Doris Day hit tune!!!

Here's hoping that tomorrow is nice and busy.

Yes indeed Ghost Plane, 'Whatever was going to be, really was!!!'

The various people who came to see me today all bought a lot of fountain pens, as well as some coming to pick up their repaired pens, and of course paying for the work done!

Also, I had a surprise visit from a gentleman from Turkey, who I haven't seen for quite some time. He bought one of the books about the history of Conway Stewart, by Steven Hull, as well as few pens that caught his eye.

The 'Film Props Buyer' was the first to arrive, and he bought six fountain pens from me. [strangely enough he wouldn't disclose the name of the film that he will be working on! Sorry Esterbex!]

Another unexpected arrival later on in the day, was another Film Props Buyer, who needed a selection of ball-point pens as well as a few fountain pens.

There again, it was a lady who I have dealt with in the past, but I haven't seen her for about a year. She also would not tell me any real details about the name of the film that is due to be made! All she would tell me was that the film was about the rise to fame of a 'big name' English Pop Group. Actually, you don't need to be a pop expert to be able to guess who the film is about!

One way and another, it was the best Saturday that I have had this year!

A busy day, Truffle - and quite a coincidence that props buyers for three films turned up on the same day.

Please check your journey to Portobello on Saturday 2nd September. The Central Line is closed from Bethnal Green east for planned engineering works.

I will indeed 'View from the loft', and thank you very much for letting me know about it!

It's strange, but I had been wondering recently, just how long it has been since the line has been affected because of the 'planned engineering works', so I suppose these things have to be done at some point, I just wish it didn't happen on a Saturday!

Apart from having a really good day on Saturday, I seem to have about a dozen vintage pen repairs to do this week, which is very good. Best of all, is a rather more complex one, which is a Conway Stewart 286, in 'silver jazz' patterned casein. The cap is broken into three parts, which will require quite a lot of work. I'm quite looking forward to doing it!

I've just finished all this week's pen repairs!

There were about six pens to do from people who came to see me on Saturday. There were also a few which arrived by post.

Only one was a 'complicated repair, but I'm pleased to say, that not only did I enjoy doing it, but it has worked out to be a very good result.

A good week's work!

After the success that I had last Saturday, it was a bit disappointing to have not sold any pens yesterday.

I did however see quite a lot of my customers, who dropped off their pens for repair. It certainly kept me busy during the course of the day!

This morning, I will be driving over to Brentwood [in Essex] to have a good browse around an Antiques Fair there. When the weather is fine, there are plenty of 'outside-stands', which usually is more 'fruitful' when it comes to buying vintage fountain pens. But of course, with all such Antiques Fairs, there is no telling what is going to be there, until you get there, and have a good look around!

Part of the reason why I look forward to going to this particular fair, is that I usually see a couple of general antique dealers, who I have known for several years. As is very often the case with such people, they have been 'retiring' from the trade for quite some time, but they always seem to be there, selling the remains of their stock! It's always a pleasure to see them, and to have a chat!

As I half expected, the Antiques Fair did not produce many vintage fountain pens of any great note! But the whether was very good, and there were plenty of outside stands to browse around, which was very enjoyable, I certainly feel 'at home', when I'm looking around 'old things'!

My two dealer friends were there, [still intent on 'retiring from the trade'!] and we chewed the fat for quite a long time. It is always nice to talk with them when we meet.

I found two fairly decent Parker 51's during my search around the stalls, and a blue marbled Conway Stewart pen from the 1930's. Fortunately, one of the Parker 51's had a very broad italic nib in it, so that was a bonus!

Last Saturday, I had a stroke of unexpected inspiration!

It happened when a pen collector friend came to see me, after a break of some 6 or 8 weeks. I showed him most of my recently bought vintage pens, and we chatted for a while. Then he noticed a rocking blotter, which was sitting on the side table in my booth, and asked to have a look at it. It is made of hardwood, and has a 'repousee' panel on the flat surface, with the handle [which is also silver covered] which screws tightly in place to hold the blotting paper in place.

He had a good look at it, and then asked me how much it was to buy. We settled on a price, while I decided to give the tarnished silver a quick clean. I must say, that it started to look really lovely as I gave it a polish! Then I noticed how beautiful it really was!

The design of the flat silver just 'oozed' the typical Art Nouveau style, with a floral pattern in one corner, and very liquid flowing 'tendrils' to set it off.

I told my friend that I would sell it to him, but only after I had copied the design, with a view to making an overlay for one of my pens.

Needless to say, that I spent quite a long time yesterday afternoon, copying it, so now I will be able to transfer the design to the sheet silver.

My friend is coming to see me again this coming Saturday, to collect the rocking blotter!

It would seem that I need a 'nudge' occasionally, to be able to see 'the wood for the trees'!

Inspiration collecting dust on a shelf....sounds like a Divine nudge. B)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

It's now about 7.00am, and I'm sitting here waiting for a mini-cab which will take me to East Ham underground station.

Thanks very much once again 'View from the loft' for that valuable information!

It does look as though it will be quite a busy day today, several people will be coming to pick up their repaired pens,and of course there might well be some buyers of pens as well!

We'll see!

Hope you had a good day Truffle.

Only four weeks to go to the London show ... Pennies being saved.

I'm pleased to say that I did have a successful day at Portobello Road yesterday. Strangely enough not because of any of my usual customers coming to see me there.

I was very lucky in that there seemed to have been a fairly steady flow of people who either wanted to replace their 'lost' fountain pens, or were inspired to use one, having seen my selection of vintage fountain pens!

I was offered a few pens to buy, but they were basically what I would call 'Stock-Fill' pens!

The journey from East Ham underground station went well, and I arrived in good time at my booth, [thank you once again 'View from the loft' for warning me about the planned engineering works!] The journey back home however was not so good, because I got on the wrong train, and ended up at Aldgate East, so I decided to just hail a cab, and come home as quickly as possible. I was a bit concerned about getting back to prepare the supper for my Aunt and her Carer!

Despite the few problems, it was a good day!

Last Saturday, I had a stroke of unexpected inspiration!

It happened when a pen collector friend came to see me, after a break of some 6 or 8 weeks. I showed him most of my recently bought vintage pens, and we chatted for a while. Then he noticed a rocking blotter, which was sitting on the side table in my booth, and asked to have a look at it. It is made of hardwood, and has a 'repousee' panel on the flat surface, with the handle [which is also silver covered] which screws tightly in place to hold the blotting paper in place.

He had a good look at it, and then asked me how much it was to buy. We settled on a price, while I decided to give the tarnished silver a quick clean. I must say, that it started to look really lovely as I gave it a polish! Then I noticed how beautiful it really was!

The design of the flat silver just 'oozed' the typical Art Nouveau style, with a floral pattern in one corner, and very liquid flowing 'tendrils' to set it off.

I told my friend that I would sell it to him, but only after I had copied the design, with a view to making an overlay for one of my pens.

Needless to say, that I spent quite a long time yesterday afternoon, copying it, so now I will be able to transfer the design to the sheet silver.

My friend is coming to see me again this coming Saturday, to collect the rocking blotter!

It would seem that I need a 'nudge' occasionally, to be able to see 'the wood for the trees'!

and here is that beautiful art-nouveau design.... :yikes: I think it will make a beautiful overlay, especially if a suitable design can be found for the cap? Any ideas there Henry?

fpn_1504796751__henry_nouveau_august_201

Edited by billydo

Let put my order in now.... :yikes: :wub: :rolleyes:

It has a fairy aura for some reason....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's Tuesday, and I'm pleased to say that all the pens that had come in for repair have been done and are in the post back to their owners.

One of the more complicated repairs, was to a Demetrio [i think that was the name of it!] where the cap had broken in two pieces. Thankfully the break was very 'clean' and I was able to bond the two pieces together quite easily.

Having removed the clip, I was then able to 'cut-back' the glue that had seeped out from the break, using very fine gauge carborundum paper, then using 'ooo' gauge wire wool, and finally polished it on the burnishing machine.

It is always very satisfying when I have sent off the week's repaired pens, but even more so when I have worked on the more complex ones.

Happy Days!

About time you checked in, Truffle. Don't make us send out search parties along the rail lines to see if you're in one piece.