Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

It's funny that you should say that Ghost Plane, because I was a little worried about you with the hurricanes that have been visiting your area in the USA!

I take it that you were out of range!

Or in a sheltered area!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Putting things back together. Only regained power this week. First repairman rolls in today and you do NOT want to be downwind of our rubbish piles at the street.

Well, it's Tuesday, and I'm pleased to say that all the pens that had come in for repair have been done and are in the post back to their owners.

One of the more complicated repairs, was to a Demetrio [i think that was the name of it!] where the cap had broken in two pieces. Thankfully the break was very 'clean' and I was able to bond the two pieces together quite easily.

Having removed the clip, I was then able to 'cut-back' the glue that had seeped out from the break, using very fine gauge carborundum paper, then using 'ooo' gauge wire wool, and finally polished it on the burnishing machine.

It is always very satisfying when I have sent off the week's repaired pens, but even more so when I have worked on the more complex ones.

Happy Days!

That would be my [Danitrio] Cum Laude, Henry.

Eagerly waiting for it to land home! I will show it to you, when it arrives :)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

As is quite usual on Saturday mornings, I have had absolutely no indication about what is likely to happen up at Portobello Market, but all I know is that this time last year there was a steady stream of pen collectors/users, who kept me busy for most of the day! But I will keep an open mind about it!

Ghost Plane, I hope that things are starting to get better for you where you are!

Builder has been around to see about the squishy room, so now I’m waiting for the workers to check in on when hammering and sawing might occur.

My sincere sympathy goes out to you Ghost Plane.

Many years ago, I had the awful experience of being flooded, so I am quite aware of how horrible it is in the aftermath. I hope that things can get back to normal again soon.

On a brighter note, Saturday turned out to be a very good day at Portobello. Half-way through the day, a gentleman arrived and paid me for a 9ct gold Parker 51 pen and pencil set, [which his father had seen a fortnight ago] for a little over £1,000! This was a very pleasant surprise!

There was a fairly steady stream of customers during the course of the day, so needless to say, I came home in a very happy frame of mind!

Thank you for posting those pictures Fountainpagan! I do hope that you will enjoy using the pen again!

Yesterday, I worked on restoring a Parker 51 [double tassie] 1930's early Vacumatic pen. It has an unusual gold-filled cap, with a window-pane pattern on it. I suspect that it is a rare pattern, as I have never come across it before. While I was working on it, I noticed that the clip is marked with 14K, so I assume that it is solid 14 carat gold!

I think that I am correct in that Parker produced these early models of Parker 51's in small numbers, and only sold them 'locally', and they contacted the owner of each pen, to find out what they thought about how the pen was 'behaving' when being used. This all happened about a year before mass-production of the Parker 51 began.

It really is a great pen, and I am tempted to put it in my 'Pension Scheme' folder!

Truffle Finder :) :D

Good morning Everyone! Who is looking-in on this thread! [i've just noticed that there are 8 people here at the moment.

I am looking forward to seeing quite a few [old faces and some new today], it being the day before the London Pen Show.

I'm actually only aware of two people who are coming to see me today, but I am sure that it will be a good day today.

I know that I often comment on this thread about 'getting older', but by the time I got home yesterday evening, I was really tired!

Two early starts, and two fairly long days, coupled with all the transporting the stock around takes it's toll I have to admit, but it was quite enjoyable. I saw plenty of familiar faces on both days, some of whom I hadn't seen for a long time.

I bought and 'horse-traded' only about half a dozen pens, but I was very pleased with those that I ended up with.

I picked up a surprising number of pens for repair during the weekend, so that should keep me fairly busy for the next few days, at least!

I'd like to think that today's activities have been very therapeutic, in that I have just returned from meeting with an old work friend who used to be the Duke of Bedford's gentleman's gentleman [in the 1070's].

It was a lovely French restaurant near to Sloane Square, in the West End of London.Conversation was good, and we chatted away about past times, and time past very quickly.

I must say, that it was rather nice to get changed out of my usual jeans, and wearing black trousers, and a nice tweed jacket, I'm sure that it is good for one's peace of mind!

I'd like to think that today's activities have been very therapeutic, in that I have just returned from meeting with an old work friend who used to be the Duke of Bedford's gentleman's gentleman [in the 1070's].

It was a lovely French restaurant near to Sloane Square, in the West End of London.Conversation was good, and we chatted away about past times, and time past very quickly.

I must say, that it was rather nice to get changed out of my usual jeans, and wearing black trousers, and a nice tweed jacket, I'm sure that it is good for one's peace of mind!

Just out of curiosity, who was the Duke of Bedford in the 1070s?

And the dukedom only from 1414. But it would be nice to think of Truffle being a time traveller.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

In answer to your question 'ehemem', the Duke of Bedford's birth-name was Ian Russell. [bertrand Russell's cousin].

He inherited the family 'seat' of Woburn Abbey in the late 1950's, after his father's untimely death at that time.The death duties were enormous, so he had no alternative but to open the house to the public, which he did very successfully. Woburn was only the second grand house to be opened to the public at that time, the first one was Longleat, managed by the then Marquis of Bath.

I think that the estate is still open to the public, it being managed by the present Duke of Bedford, [ian Russell's grandson].

I hope that that is a help!

Here's a couple of images from the London show last Sunday. Eagle-eyed Simploe fans might see a now-rare-to-find Tendril pattern pen finished in Vermeil. Henry is featured with with his security guard, Tim. :-)

:yikes:

fpn_1507216945__henry_lwes_2017.jpg

fpn_1507216997__henry_lwes_2017_2.jpg

Edited by billydo