Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2016

RMN

Not an exceptional day today up at Portobello market, but I did have a pretty steady flow of 'Pen People' who stopped by to see various pens, both vintage, and modern.

A very nice gentleman from Washington, USA came and asked if he could see some flexible nibbed pens, so I showed him a few, and let him try some. While he was engaged in doing that, we chatted, and suddenly my name came up in the conversation, he then realised who i was, [or maybe he had just heard of my name before] anyway, we carried on talking about the various American Pen Shows which happen during course of the year.

He ended up choosing two pens, and he went to get the cash from the nearby cash machines, and before leaving I asked him if he would like to take a photograph, so there might appear on this thread a couple of the shots that he took!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You really do have an international clientele....I think everyone has heard of Henry Simpole...or are at least familiar with your work! :happyberet:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I have just finished doing a slightly tricky repair on a Conway Stewart No:225 reversed Cracked Ice pen. The cap had the frequently seen problem with the casein, in that the cap had broken off about one third of the way down from the top of the cap. This problem [i suspect] is due to the absorption of ink at the end of the pen's section and then drying out, eventually the casein fails, and the cap breaks at the weakest point.

Anyway, I selected the correct width of brass tubing to create an internal 'splint' to support the joint, and then used Araldite resin glue to fix it, and left it over-night to set.

The actual break was fairly clean, but there were a few gaps, which had to be filled, and then 'cut-back' using different grades of carborundum paper. Then I burnished the cap, and now it looks really great!

I'm sorry to perhaps bore some people reading this, but I am so happy, I felt the need to 'share' it!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

That's actually very timely, Henry - I was looking at a pen for sale last night with what sounds like exactly the same problem with the cap, and wondering how it had happened, and (hypothetically) whether it was repairable, and how that would be done. You've answered it all. Is more epoxy used to fill the gaps? If that's a trade secret, pretend I never asked!

Well I for one enjoying hear about how such pens are repaired, why they fail, where they fail etc. It is thanks to the skilled efforts of those such as yourself that these pens are returned to use and don't end up being tossed aside as irrelevant rubbish.

It's no wonder you feel the need to share such achievements when the time and skill is taken into consideration.

I have just finished doing a slightly tricky repair on a Conway Stewart No:225 reversed Cracked Ice pen. The cap had the frequently seen problem with the casein, in that the cap had broken off about one third of the way down from the top of the cap. This problem [i suspect] is due to the absorption of ink at the end of the pen's section and then drying out, eventually the casein fails, and the cap breaks at the weakest point.

Anyway, I selected the correct width of brass tubing to create an internal 'splint' to support the joint, and then used Araldite resin glue to fix it, and left it over-night to set.

The actual break was fairly clean, but there were a few gaps, which had to be filled, and then 'cut-back' using different grades of carborundum paper. Then I burnished the cap, and now it looks really great!

I'm sorry to perhaps bore some people reading this, but I am so happy, I felt the need to 'share' it!

This is fascinating. Thank you. And I am so looking forward to seeing this soon ;)

Has Anyone Heard of Henry Simpole? - Well, it seems I was one of the few who hadn't, until I sent my Conway to a nice 'repair man' I picked in hope more than expectation. Seems I lucked in for once! :)

Hi there, missuslovett!

I wasn't aware that you were familiar with the Fountain Pen Network!

Your Avatar looks like an Aubrey Beardsley picture, but I can't say that I have ever seen it before anywhere.

Welcome to this thread, and perhaps when the pen arrives, you could perhaps post a couple of pictures on this thread. [i have no idea how to post photographs on FPN!]

Here are some photos of my lovely pen (apologies for quality of pics). The cap was in two pieces, the join site slightly warped by water damage. It has been seamlessly restored. Thank you Henry!

As seems to be 'the norm:' recently, I have very little indication with regards to who may [or may not] be coming to see me up at Portobello today! I know that a gentleman will be coming to pick up his grandfather's two Watermans pens which I have repaired for him. They are both made of orange and black hard rubber, and both had got broken lever-boxes which needed to be replaced, as well as servicing both pens, so that he will be able to use the pens as writing instruments.

Other than that, I am just keeping an open mind on the day's events!

Some of you might remember that I attended the Careers Fair at my old school, about a month ago.

Well, last Thursday, I went with a good friend of mine, back to the school, to hear a talk given by Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen about William Morris. [He was born and brought up in Walthamstow, which is very close to the school grounds. I'm talking about William Morris, not Lawrence L. Bowen now!]

I was aware that he was connected to my old school, but not to the degree that he quite obviously was at that time. For example, it turned out that he was responsible for all the stained glass windows in the Chapel, amongst quite a bit more, so it was a very interesting and informative talk to listen to.

There was a break in between speakers, and we all decamped to the dining room, for some light refreshments, and while we chatted, Sue the PR lady approached me, and explained that a teacher who is in charge of 'DT' [no idea what that stands for, can anyone help?] had meant to ask me at the careers fair, but was way-laid somewhere, and had missed speaking to me. It turns out that he would like me to give a talk to some students, about my transition from my previous profession, to becoming a 'pen-smith' and dealer in vintage fountain pens.

As you can probably imagine, there is a considerable difference between giving a talk to 5th and 6th year students, and the local Rotary Club, so, I will have to work out a 'talk' that will hopefully be both interesting, and informative!

Edited by Truffle Finder

Went to London for work on a week ago. On Saturday I had some time before my flight so I walked to the Portobello Road Market with its craft booths, souvenir shops, food and 1,000 antique dealers. I only had a couple of hours so I randomly picked out a few antique malls to visit. I saw no fountain pens until about my fifth mall where I spied a small booth. I was looking at the cases and asking the dealer what he had when I suddenly realized I was talking to Henry Simpole. I bought a few flexible writers and had a wonderful time chatting with Henry. fpn_1459113448__henrysimpole.jpeg

Some of you might remember that I attended the Careers Fair at my old school, about a month ago.

Well, last Thursday, I went with a good friend of mine, back to the school, to hear a talk given by Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen about William Morris. [He was born and brought up in Walthamstow, which is very close to the school grounds. I'm talking about William Morris, not Lawrence L. Bowen now!]

I was aware that he was connected to my old school, but not to the degree that he quite obviously was at that time. For example, it turned out that he was responsible for all the stained glass windows in the Chapel, amongst quite a bit more, so it was a very interesting and informative talk to listen to.

There was a break in between speakers, and we all decamped to the dining room, for some light refreshments, and while we chatted, Sue the PR lady approached me, and explained that a teacher who is in charge of 'DT' [no idea what that stands for, can anyone help?] had meant to ask me at the careers fair, but was way-laid somewhere, and had missed speaking to me. It turns out that he would like me to give a talk to some students, about my transition from my previous profession, to becoming a 'pen-smith' and dealer in vintage fountain pens.

As you can probably imagine, there is a considerable difference between giving a talk to 5th and 6th year students, and the local Rotary Club, so, I will have to work out a 'talk' that will hopefully be both interesting, and informative!

DT = Design Technology (at least I am fairly sure that's right, rather a long time since I was in full time education!) :)

DT = Design Technology (at least I am fairly sure that's right, rather a long time since I was in full time education!) :)

Yes, DT is Design and Technology (youngest just through GCSEs).

It's good to see that the focus is turning away from university for all to the various career paths that are out there. I receive an average of one invitation a month to participate in such events, but I am still amazed by the number of people involved professionally in education who imply that I am strange because I am a woman working in a traditionally male sector and worse - I enjoy the mucky bits servicing and repairing vehicles! Honestly, things have moved on. Let's encourage the younger ones to be as good as they can, whatever their chosen field.

Back on topic - I remain in awe of Truffle's skill :)

Thanks for that information View from the Loft!

At least I have an idea of the title of the department that he is in charge of, when I get to meet him, over a school lunch!

... I am still amazed by the number of people involved professionally in education who imply that I am strange because I am a woman working in a traditionally male sector and worse - I enjoy the mucky bits servicing and repairing vehicles! Honestly, things have moved on. Let's encourage the younger ones to be as good as they can, whatever their chosen field.

Back off topic, I used to get the same reaction when I went out to the hangers. You're dealing with contracts, why would you possibly want to muck about with the aircraft?

Ohhhh, small things, like having an idea what it is we're buying or selling and what the problems are and why so I can visualize and produce a better work product because I have a clue and can ask pertinent questions? Small stuff like that :rolleyes: Besides...it's FUN! :D :bunny01:

A few days ago, while I was looking through the Watermans spares draws, I came across a Watermmans 58 pen without a cap!

I decided to 'rescue' it, and sent the pen off to my good friend down in the West Country, asking him if he could make me up a replacement cap for it in Hard Rubber. I sent the pen to him later that day, and hopefully he will be working on it as I write this.

I'm planning to make a Droplet Pattern overlay in silver for the pen.

I can't wait to get started on this new project!

Thank goodness for the pen repairs!

These last few weeks business has been comparatively 'slack', and it is very satisfying to cover the basic expenses with the income from the 'repairs' side of the business.

Today, I am expecting one [possibly two] collector/dealer friends of mine, so hopefully there might be some of my recently acquired vintage fountain pens which will attract their attention.Either way, it will be nice to be able to 'chew the fat' with them, about our favourite topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pens!!!

Thank goodness for the pen repairs!

These last few weeks business has been comparatively 'slack', and it is very satisfying to cover the basic expenses with the income from the 'repairs' side of the business.

Today, I am expecting one [possibly two] collector/dealer friends of mine, so hopefully there might be some of my recently acquired vintage fountain pens which will attract their attention.Either way, it will be nice to be able to 'chew the fat' with them, about our favourite topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pens!!!

I have a feeling you can probably make a few pens "appear" to tempt a buyer. Good luck!

I am very pleased to tell you that today turned out to be a quite brisk day at my booth. A fairly steady stream of people visited my booth, to buy and chat about recent pen purchases, hand over their repairs etc:

What particularly made my day, was an American, [who knew me through FPN, incidently!] who decided to treat himself to one of the 'half-overlaid' Onoto fountain pens. He seemed rather pleased when I told him that the one that he had just bought, was marked as A.E. [artist's example, there is only one of them in that series of pens.]

Anyway, all in all, it was a good day!