Maron - De Atramentis

visvamitra

De Atramentis is a German manufacturer of calligraphy and writing ink. The inks are hand made (the entire production process is done manually in their manufacturing center) by its founder - Dr. Franz-Josef Jansen. I believe he uses high quality dyes from well established European companies like BASF and Bayer.

Maron is interesting ink. I enjoy the color because of it's complexity. On the other hand the writing properties of this ink haven't met my expectations. That's good. It means I can still look for my grail ink ;).

What I find disappointing is medium saturation and average flow and lubrication. The ink feels dry especially in finer nibs. It looks cool in my amazing but ugly Kaweco Sport Classic (Seriously this broad nib is amazing) but once used in pen with finer nib . worse flow the ink looks less interesting.

fpn_1452342858__maron_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1452342824__maron_da_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1452342879__maron_l_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1452342865__maron_l_1.jpg

fpn_1452342873__maron_l_2.jpg

fpn_1452342894__maron_l_5.jpg

Lamy Al-Star, Oxford notebook, fine nib

fpn_1452342902__maron_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1452342911__maron_ox_2.jpg

fpn_1452342917__maron_ox_3.jpg

Lamy Al-Star, Oxford notebook, medium nib

fpn_1452342959__maron_oxx.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• visvamitra

The color is unique, but loses its saturation in a fine nib.

Reminds me of the Lamy blue-black.

Does anyone know why is that so? Why do some inks lose saturation in finer nibs?

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Great review. This one didn't motivate me at all.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 8 months later...

Tas, does that mean that you loved it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 years later...

This is in my top three at least, if not right up on top!

Caveat: I have four bottles of this under two different labels, and they are two different colors, not aligned with the labelling!

Bottle #1 = Maron: I was expecting an ashy grey brown as reviewed here but found instead a stealth green. Some mistake surely? Dirty rinse water or . . . . my holy grail!

After quite a bit of research I found that Anderson Pens (I think, unless it was VanNess) had a De Atramentis "Masters of Writing" ink Jean Jaques Rouseau that was cross referenced to Standard Range ink Maron and described as green (the description and swatch have subsequently been changed!) - so I snapped that up too and it was indeed the same, glorious, greenish dirty rinse water! So Bottle #2 = Jean Jaques Rousseau.

I remembered reading Visvamitra's review of the ink "Paris" (= Sepia Brown?), which did not appeal to me at all, in which there was mention of two of the De Atramentis inks being renamed so what was Sepia Brown would now be Maron (which makes some sense, as I always considered Maroon a kind of reddish brown), and what was Maron would now be labelled as Sepia Brown! This was confusing enough to lead me to write to Dr. Janssen himself, who I have always found to be both courteous and helpful. He responded by sending me three bottles of ink (Wow! That's customer service!); one of Maron = Bottle #3 = the color reviewed here, one of Jean Jaques Rousseau = Bottle #4 = the color reviewed here, and one of Sepia Brown = the Russet Brown reviewed by Visvamitra as "Paris".

Phew!

I like the ink reviewed here very much, an ambiguous neutral, certainly not black, but neither grey not brown, warm nor cool (I consider the similarish R&K Sepia to be cool, Herbin's Cacao du Bresil to be warm - and I love them both!), but the green tinged version is my treasure! I am trying to limit my use of it as I doubt it's replaceable. I have found Kobe #49 and Birmingham Pens Arugula to be in the same general range (greens that are so neutral that you read them as grey, but not cool grey, so maybe its brown?), but of those three Maron is the most ambiguous of all!

I have referenced this ink quite a lot on here so good to set forth (I couldn't say "clear up"!) the confusion.

Will post a couple of swatches later if I get a chance.

Update - more intriguing than ever!

Different batches? Rotting? Maybe maturing like a fine wine or cheese?!:

fpn_1559240041__marone_x4.jpg

(The Kobe is way off - by eye it's not too dissimilar, just slightly more green - but the rest are somewhat close.)

Edited by pgcauk

Things that make me happy:

I was just looking up Guri = Kuri (as in Yama Guri) in the old Kanji Etymology book (it's a sealed, decorated bag in/and a tree) and was delighted to find that a synonym for Kuri is . . . . .

(I'm going to pause here to download a Japanese keyboard!)

栗 = くり = クリ = (synonym) マロン

Phew!

. . . . . or for Anglo only . . . Kuri = Maron

:D

Three chestnuts in a pod!

fpn_1559498181__maron_x2.jpg

(Please excuse my lack of skill at everything I am attempting here - at least the old dog is trying!)