rocketman_0000_

Hello fountain pen experts,

I recently inherited a Montblanc Meisterstuck pen and would like to know more about it. Here are all the identifying numbers on the pen:

Bottom of cap: Montblanc - Meisterstuck

Top of cap: CB274493 W-Germany

Nib: 4810 14k Montblanc 585

I want to know more about this pen so I know what ink to buy. I'm fairly new to the fountain pen world. The pen came with cartridges but they were dried up inside. The dried-up cartridges have beige-colored casing and say "Mont Blanc" around the top. I'm pretty sure it's black ink, since the dried-up ink inside looks very dark black.

My questions:

1. What ink should I buy?

2. When was this pen made?

3. What model is this pen?

4. How much is this pen worth?

5. Based on the serial number and other features, is it real?

Thanks you in advance for any help. I'll upload pictures soon, if you guys think it's necessary to answer my questions.

Edited by rocketman_0000_

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Chrissy

• NinthSphere

• rocketman_0000_

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics would be a big help. Based on being a cart pen, I'm guessing it's going to be a 144.

We need pictures before we can assist. If your pen has a gold band around the bottom of the grip, next to the nib, and a push on, pull off cap, it might be a 144 or old style Classique.

If it doesn't have that band next to the nib and has a screw on cap, it might be a 145 or Chopin, now called Classic.

I say might be, because without pictures we don't know if it's authentic.

Only Montblanc in Hamburg could potentially tell you what pen the serial number started life on.

Gold coloured cartridges are so old. I would throw them away and start again with some new ones. If the ink has dried out inside the pen it will need soaking to get it clean.

A good long soak overnight in a glass partially filled with enough warm water to cover most of the grip, would be a good start.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

If it really is a Montblanc then there are a few strange discrepancies. Having a serial number puts the pen after 1992 but the cartridges you mention point to the 70s or maybe early 80s.

Serial numbers on Montblancs don't really show authentication these days, the fakes have them too. That is not one of the known fake numbers at least so that is good news.

The post above has good tips on identification; slip on cap would be a 144 model; threaded cap would be a 114 or 145.

Post a picture and maybe we can add more info.