Goulet Pen Flush Vs. Pilot Custom Heritage 92

Peppers

I got a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Clear Demonstrator for christmas. Do I run into any danger zones if I use the Goulet Pen Flush to clean up my CH 92?

Beautiful pen, will probably be my favorite from now on.

My common sense tells me that:

1. Flush chemicals may haze the clear plastic.

2. Flush chemicals may slowly eat the piston seal or make it brittle.

I don't want anything to happen to my pen.

It is too precious!! :wub:

Please throw all your knowledge at me! :D

Ty!

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• httpmom

• Peppers

• miwishi63

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used one of the pen flushes in each of my pens that I've inked in the past two years, including my Pilot Heritage and my vintage ones. By "flush" I mean that i intake and expel the liquid 10-15 times in succession, followed by a similar number of flushes with plain water. At no time would I leave the pen soaking in flush (I will leave it soaking in water). I have not noticed a problem with any of the pens as a result.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

My CH92 has had a variety of inks through it in the year or so I've owned it. It has only ever been cleaned with plain water, this having done the job admirably. Even the most caked on ink stains seem to sucomb to a soaking in water eventually.

Water, at the moment anyway, is still a very cheap cleaning medium for my pens!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I have been using Goulet's pen flush for more than a month now in a variety of pens of various ages and haven't had any problems.

Thanks everybody! :D

It seems that the overall suggestion is to use water only. I feel very comfortable with this suggestion as I know 100% it will not damage my pen.

Here is a follow up question to that: Can I leave my CH92 soaked in distilled water over a few days if there is a stubborn stain?

Sailor Doyou is also a good option to get rid of stains and miscoloring.

haruka337 had suggested me exactly the same thing. Any good store that you would like to recommend me? :P

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

Goulet's Pen flush I believe is a mild cleaner, should be safe. A lot of people have and are using it..

Personally I *seldom* use Kooh-l-noor but very sparingly (about 5 drops in 500ml water). l I usually need to reapply silicone grease when using it but aside from that no problems with vintage, modern or demonstrator pens.

What you need to avoid (or be really careful with if you know what you're doing) is bleach or concentrated ammonia

Sailor Doyou is also a good option to get rid of stains and miscoloring.

Just curious...why would you use an ink to flush a pen? I have Sailor Doyou, it's a brown gray color. Does it also clean or am I missing something?

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I use the Goulet pen flush on the occasion that I have some stubborn ink. I've used it on modern and vintage pens from around the world, including modern ones from Japan. In general, you will be best served by using water to flush your pens.

However, you should not be soaking your pens in water. As nib and pen meister Richard Binder told me, pens are designed to hold water-based ink in them, not be surrounded by water. You can do damage to certain pen materials by soaking them in water. This is especially true with vintage pens.

Be careful with the ultrasonic cleaner. You could loosen the adhesive on the arrow in a Parker 61 or cause problems with a Sheaffer inlaid nib. I use my cleaner for the tough inks and big collectors, but I'm careful when using it.

For stains, you are probably stuck with them. Go over to the Inky Thoughts forum and see the line of posts about the stain remover. That may help. Otherwise, ask some questions about inks that stain.

Enjoy your pen.

Buzz

Just curious...why would you use an ink to flush a pen? I have Sailor Doyou, it's a brown gray color. Does it also clean or am I missing something?

My understanding is you don't flush per se, but by using a fill of it. Apparently certain inks have an ability to clean clear plastics.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My understanding is you don't flush per se, but by using a fill of it. Apparently certain inks have an ability to clean clear plastics.

Correct

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

<snip>

Any good store that you would like to recommend me? :P

I by my Sailor ink localy in Sweden, but I know Anderson Pens sell Sailor ink in the US. Otherwise Rakuten have all the standard Sailor ink to very low prices.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

it's magic!

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I have resurrected some old pens which have had ink sitting in them for decades using only tap water.

A very mild soap solution washed off thoroughly is sufficient more often than not.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

I've been using Kooh-I-Noor pen cleaner on every pen I own over the last couple of years. Including a Pilot Custom 823 and just about every pen material - st6eel and gold nibs, plastic and ebonite feeds, plastic, metal and ebonite sections, convertor and body fill pens.

I use mostly iron-gall and pigmented inks which require many, many flushes to remove with plain water. With a shot of Kooh-I-Noor in the rinse water the ink clears out much faster. I've not had any issues with clouding clear plastic or removing lubricant from pistons etc.

My method. Fill shot glass with warm tap water and fill and empty the pen a couple of time to get most of the ink out. Empty and refill shot glass with warm tap water, add a squirt of Kooh-I-Noor (about 2-3mls), fill and empty pen 4-8 times. For heavy build-up, dried ink or pen show 'finds' I let it soak in the shotglass with the water and Kooh-I-Noor mixture 20-40 minutes and then cycle the mix through the pen a few times. To finish cycle pen with fresh tap water to remove any cleaner residue and air dry.

A large bottle of Kooh-I-Noor will last a couple of years at least. I've found it is more effective than plain water and a water ammonia solution.

YMMV.