Goulet Pens Has Done It Once Again

jodi_maloney

I'm not sure if this is the right category to put it in so please move it if its not.

After Christmas, I decided to treat myself and order something from the Goulets. I got myself a Banditapple Carnet peewee notebook among other things to go into my new Nock Fodderstack XL. Now, since Banditapple seems to be going under some changes according to Goulet, they are not restocking their products at the time. So, I had received an email about my order from Cindy, and she said they were out of stock and sold it to me due to an inventory issue on them, and so offered to replace it with something else along with a free gift. Now, I assumed the free gift was whatever I had asked to replace it with, as when I emailed them back and asked for a stick of J. Herbin sealing wax and pay the $2 difference, Jeremy emailed back (in place of Cindy) and said it was on them.

So I waited patiently for my package to arrive. Usually, it takes two days to get here where I live, and they shipped it on the 29th, so I was a bit worried when it didn't come on the 31st, and tracking info didn't update. I thought someone had tampered with my package, but it just turned out they just didn't scan it in their original destination, since I found the tracking info late at night finally in my state.

It came today, and I opened it, gladly since I saw that their signature bubble wrap, cling film, Tootsie Pop and all other goodies were here. I opened it and received the J. Herbin sealing wax as promised, but I also saw that they included a full bottle of Private Reserve "Chocolat" (yes not Chocolate) ink! And it was in a fancier looking bottle, not the cylindrical bottle advertised everywhere else.

So once again, I'm extremely happy about my order with Goulet Pens, and thrilled how they handled everything. While not necessary, they included a full bottle of ink ASIDE from giving me a replacement item for no extra cost in compensation for something that was out of stock!

Thank you Goulet Pens, for another ridiculously wrapped package of amazing pen goodies!

Edited by jodi_maloney

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KKay

• TSherbs

• graystranger

• Laefar

That's one of my favorite inks from my favorite vendor. Enjoy!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Jodi, that is good to hear about Goulet Pens like that. So many times we hear of bad vendors, or horror stories. This gives one faith of an honest company, and a darn good one at that! It made my day to hear this!

They have always given exceptional service. I like PR Chocolat, too. I keep my Pelikan La Crème[sp]loaded with it.

It seems to be the right ink for a cream/brown pen.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

You just can't beat Goulet Pens' customer service, I never order from anywhere else unless Goulet Pens can't get what I want. Glad you shared this experience with us. I had a Goulet Order leave VA and it headed north all the way to Maine before the PO caught that it was on the wrong truck and turned it around back to VA. I emailed Goulet Pens to see if they had any info on the tracking that I did not have. No new information, but they gave me free shipping on my next order, and the mistake was the post office's, not theirs! I got to me 2 or 3 days later than it should have. The USPS tracking info only said "miss-routed" in one update.

My experience with the tracking is that USPS tracks packages intermittently, skipping some days, taking 24 hours to update. Plus the scanned times are not always correct. I had a package scanned at its second station at a recorded time before the package had been picked up by USPS. I've also had the scan show it arrived at the destination post office before it had left the previous post office. So the USPS tracking updates have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Man -- I wish I could arrive at my destination before I leave home. It would make traveling so much easier!

Remember back in the day when you mailed off for something and were told "Please allow up to 3 weeks for delivery." And that was it - you went about your life and sometime 'round about 3 weeks later, your item arrived. Nowadays, even though items arrive within a few days, we have no choice...NO CHOICE but to check the tracking information every 10-15 minutes or so just to see if there's an update. It's incredibly stressful.

Anyway, I have also had the pleasure of doing business with the folks at Goulet so you can add my name to the list of admirers.

Life is too short to hurry through.

~ Kenny Salwey - The Last River Rat

I ordered for the first time last week from Goulet. It was a pleasure and great experience even thought I just purchased a bottle of ink I felt like I was a major buyer for them. Like your experience they really go the extra mile.

I really like Goulet Pens too. Their customer service when you have a problem is amazing! Any problem I had with them was always self-induced but they did't care, they bent over backwards to make me happy.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that I can do without is their "sale" prices. Most often, this is only 10%. Sometimes it is 13-15%. A few times it is 20%. Even on the "Bottom Shelf" listing, the discount is typically 10-15%, but here there is a "no return" policy--not an attractive tradeoff for a pen that is somehow marred, even if only cosmetically.

There was a time when Goulet offered some nice sale prices on returned or damaged products, but it has been a few years since I have seen anything that I would call an attractive "sale price." It is of course their prerogative to set whatever prices they want, and to call them whatever they want, even to offer no reduced prices at all. But "sale" and "bottom shelf" seem misnomers for their current pricing patterns.

I did not know that about Bottom Shelf items. I won't even look there then. I have had good luck with them so far. I haven't been a customer for that long though. They seem to be top notch with what little experience I've had with them.

The Bottom Shelf items include several different categories: slightly damaged items (which are marked down accordingly), undamaged returns (which are marked down slightly but still have full warranty), and pens that have been tested or otherwise used by staff for videos etc (also full warranty). In other words, merchandise that can no longer be sold at full price, but which are pretty much as-new

I've bought a couple of items from the Bottom Shelf - a 1.5mm TWSBI stub nib, and a Lamy 2000 (both listed as "gently used, but otherwise in great condition). Both were a good bargain - not massively discounted, but enough to make it worthwhile. Both were exactly as described: no damage, no dings, no problems - the stub nib had a bit of inky watery residue, but that was no drama at all.

The Goulets have a business model that doesn't involve a lot of sales - they focus on excellent customer service, rather than bargain basement prices. That means you'll sometimes get a better deal from someone else - but I'm happy to support their business when I can (Aus-US exchange rate isn't helping me with that right now though!).

The Bottom Shelf items include several different categories: slightly damaged items (which are marked down accordingly), undamaged returns (which are marked down slightly but still have full warranty), and pens that have been tested or otherwise used by staff for videos etc (also full warranty). In other words, merchandise that can no longer be sold at full price, but which are pretty much as-new

I've bought a couple of items from the Bottom Shelf - a 1.5mm TWSBI stub nib, and a Lamy 2000 (both listed as "gently used, but otherwise in great condition). Both were a good bargain - not massively discounted, but enough to make it worthwhile. Both were exactly as described: no damage, no dings, no problems - the stub nib had a bit of inky watery residue, but that was no drama at all.

The Goulets have a business model that doesn't involve a lot of sales - they focus on excellent customer service, rather than bargain basement prices. That means you'll sometimes get a better deal from someone else - but I'm happy to support their business when I can (Aus-US exchange rate isn't helping me with that right now though!).

Well said. I have gotten bargains on the Bottom Shelf. 5 to 10% savings is savings. I got a Clairefontaine notebook that was said to have a bent cover. When I got it it was hardly noticeable at all. So minor. I always look at the bottom shelf when I place an order. A "Bottom Shelf" bottle of ink had hardly any ink stain on the label, which does not bother me at all, saved me $3. All in all I have probably saved $20 or more getting their Bottom Shelf items over the past 2.5 years. I won't shop anywhere else (unless Goulet Pens cannot get what I want), the risk is just not worth it to me.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Okay then. Maybe I will glance at the bottom shelf items...as long as there is a description, and it is something that is doable for me. Thanks for the comments. :)

The Goulets have a business model that doesn't involve a lot of sales

Indeed. This was my only point. I buy from them, occasionally, too. Just not when I am looking for a good bargain.

But, I will add, I have never had a bad sales experience with any other vendor, even sales from private parties. So I don't have a real preference or sense of loyalty to any vendor. Each person/group I have bought from has tried to make me happy with professional work (and I don't mean lollipops and book marks and stickers festooned with logos).

Indeed. This was my only point. I buy from them, occasionally, too. Just not when I am looking for a good bargain.

But, I will add, I have never had a bad sales experience with any other vendor, even sales from private parties. So I don't have a real preference or sense of loyalty to any vendor. Each person/group I have bought from has tried to make me happy with professional work (and I don't mean lollipops and book marks and stickers festooned with logos).

I, actually, tend to add their great videos to the service they provide. Although I can get them for free, I like to think I pay for those too when I buy from them. This is kind of service not a lot of retailers provide.

I, actually, tend to add their great videos to the service they provide. Although I can get them for free, I like to think I pay for those too when I buy from them. This is kind of service not a lot of retailers provide.

Laefar,

You make an excellent point in regard to the videos. Are you aware that their videos are also another, very effective form of marketing?

Now what I am saying is NOT meant as a form of criticism. To the contrary, imo, Brian Goulet has done what I recommend to my clients as a way to reach out to people and demonstrate value before, or at least, in addition to the typical forms of quality products and excellent services. To my knowledge (please correct me if I in error) Goulet Pens does little or no "traditional" marketing.

Rather Brian has brilliantly and quickly established himself and his organization as a resource in addition to being a source for pens and related products. He has built his credibility and solid customer service relationships by delivering, for free as you pointed out, information that other vendors have/had but never saw fit to organize and and make easily available to an information seeking audience aka his potential market.

He used his own creativity, personality and unique assets to establish trust, value and an excellent reputation as well as one of the best well structured "Go To Sites" - Web or brick and mortar, for general fountain pen information anywhere!

For people who have watched him over the years, and I am one of them, and observed as his business has grown he has used his knowledge, skills and other assets to "organically" attract high Internet search ratings and the resulting customers (I think) without spending large (or any) amounts of money on Google "sponsored" ads also know as buying advertising position for lots of money.

Finally, the question in my mind is - will he and his organization, be able to leverage what he knows and what he has done in a way that expands to include his staff AND whatever direction his business moves in. Time and continued success will demonstrate how Brian and his associates maintain and expand their growing position in the fountain pen industry. I do wish him every success and admire his accomplishments.

Over my years in personal and small business marketing many successful businesses move away from their initially successful approach and gravitate to the more standard ways of throwing money at advertising.

Over the years I have made several purchases fro Goulet Pens and been very satisfied with my orders and personally, I would much prefer no fancy wrappings, no candy, a simple "thanks & signature" on the invoice AND less expensive shipping. This would probably boost the frequency of my purchases from Goulet Pens.

Please note that I have no affiliation with Goulet Pens and tremendous respect for what he AND Rachel (sp?) have done.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”