(New) Black Swan In Australian Roses

Charles Skinner

Has anyone heard of "new" Black Swan in Australian Roses causing damage to fountain pens? I really love the color, but need to be careful not to harm any of my pens. Again, I love the color and want to continue using it. C. S.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graystranger

• amberleadavis

• Charles Skinner

• Fuzzy_Bear

I have ten or more different Noodler's inks, including the original BSAR and the second one from 2014. I have used my Noodler's inks in some 20 or more pens, and the inks have been left in pens capped and unused for weeks to months. Also, I had Kung Te Cheng ink dry up in a pen when left for a couple of years unused. When it was cleaned out (used an ultrasonic cleaner and took multiple baths) it was just fine. Pens with steel, plated, and 14k to 18k gold nibs. Never harmed any pen. Cartridges, converters, pistons, vacuum fillers, vintage Sheaffer Snorkles and Touchdown pens up to 60+ years old, no problems. This includes ebonite pens.

Been using Noodler's inks since I first discovered them in 1999.

Don't know where these ideas come from, but I'm guessing it is from pens that have problems unrelated to the ink, and the ink is being blamed for the problem. Nathan Tardiff is an expert on ink, I trust him. Some of his inks are quirky and formulated for different reasons to have unique properties (like chemically bonding with cellulose paper, freeze resistance, lubricity, UV fluorescence, fade resistance). I should mention that my pens range from a Platinum EF nib to 1.5 mm stub nibs.

BSAR is one of my favorite inks of all times. It has never given me any trouble at all. I have it now in a 1.0 mm Vanishing Point nib and a Fine Vanishing Point nib. Performance is perfect.

Some Noodler's inks in wet nibs can take a long time to dry on Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Tomoe River papers that are not as absorbent as cheap paper, but that is due to their high saturation of dye. Dilution with distilled water will tame this for those in a hurry.

I never use any Noodler's ink in a pen until all the previous non-Noodler's ink has been thoroughly flushed out of the pen, including the nib and feed. I will remove the nib for a thorough cleaning if it is practical (not on pens like my inlaid nibs: Waterman Carene or 1965 Sheaffer Lifetime or my vintage Sheaffer Snorkel or Tuckaway pens. But I do not hesitate to use Noodlers in these pens and they have been inked with Noodler's inks for years and are inked with Noodler's now.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

But I do not hesitate to use Noodlers in these pens and they have been inked with Noodler's inks for years and are inked with Noodler's now.

I use Noodler's in all my pens. Just be sure to completely clean your pen.

Peace and Understanding

Gray where did you get that 1.0 nib? Is it a stub?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Gray where did you get that 1.0 nib? Is it a stub?

I got the 1.0 mm stub nib from Goulet Pens as soon as they had them in stock, last July. It is a stub, but not as dramatic writing as my 1.1 or 1.5 mm stub nibs in other pens. However, I do like it.

There is a big demand for it when it came out, Goulet sold out fast. Here is a link to Goulet Pens: http://www.gouletpens.com/replacement-nibs/c/294/?facetValueFilter=Tenant~Brand%3Apilot%2CTenant~Nib_Size%3A1_0mm_italic

In Goulet's Dec 30 blog they said that demand is so great that they are backordered until this spring on these nibs. You can have them email you when they come back in stock. Only choice of 1.0 mm nibs is rhodium plated or black coated 18k gold. Great photo of the nib in the blog.

post-106621-0-60593000-1451863751_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's the one I have. I love it. I now use my capless all the time. I got mine from Larry Dromgoole at Dromgoole's. Thank you for sharing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

I have ten or more different Noodler's inks, including the original BSAR and the second one from 2014. I have used my Noodler's inks in some 20 or more pens, and the inks have been left in pens capped and unused for weeks to months. Also, I had Kung Te Cheng ink dry up in a pen when left for a couple of years unused. When it was cleaned out (used an ultrasonic cleaner and took multiple baths) it was just fine. Pens with steel, plated, and 14k to 18k gold nibs. Never harmed any pen. Cartridges, converters, pistons, vacuum fillers, vintage Sheaffer Snorkles and Touchdown pens up to 60+ years old, no problems. This includes ebonite pens.

Been using Noodler's inks since I first discovered them in 1999.

Whoops!! I slipped up here. I first discovered Noodler's inks in January 2009, NOT IN 1999. I have used their inks more than any other inks ever since I bought my first bottle of Noodler's Black in 2009. Never had a problem with any in my pens at all.

Edited by graystranger

• 3 weeks later...

I recently cleaned Black Swan out of my Edison Nouveau Premier Lilac. There was a bit of a leak into the nib section while it was in there (for a few months :unsure: ), and there is a pink stain around the inner rim. Goulet's Pen Flush got a bit of it out. I'm still working on it, gently.

The colour, however, is amazing. I love the deep saturation and the unique wine colour.

Has anyone heard of "new" Black Swan in Australian Roses causing damage to fountain pens? I really love the color, but need to be careful not to harm any of my pens. Again, I love the color and want to continue using it. C. S.

I love the color too, along with Apache Sunset. But I only put Noodlers in newer pens.

I have had four different versions of BSiAR and have experienced no problems with any of those bottles. Each one was slightly different; a couple were drastically different. My personal favorite is the #2 Purple version, but I also like the #3 Magenta version too. The original was more brownish and I traded it for the purple one. The fourth one, which I think is the "new" version that is being sold currently, is sort of in the middle of all the other versions. Anyway, in whatever version, BSiAR is beautiful and a great ink! I have left it for a couple months in a pen and never had any trouble with it.

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1