A Newbie's Guide to Inks - Part III

dcwaites

Wonderful articles, everyone need to read them so our lovely Mods have pinned them.

It must be noted that even the lightest of pink ink can stain translucent acrylics, if left too long. Ask me how I know.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• andymarrison

• amberleadavis

• DannyB

Experience?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I am ever so grateful for all three of these articles. It truly helps me understand the world of ink more.

Before reading these today, I was concerned about using Noodler's inks even though the saturations levels in these inks is so enticing. I was thinking of getting some Preppies to use with the higher saturation inks because of what I had read elsewhere. Now, I see that I just need to care for the pens more often. It's a whole new world now that high saturation inks are not a strict no-no in my more prized pens.

I know I will be referring to these guides over and over again going forward. This is a true contribution to FPN.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Experience?

Yup. Luckily, the pen is not transparent and the ink is a match to one of the crackled pattern color, but...

It has given me the idea to use only dark or clear sections and caps, leaving the color to the body which is not in contact with ink on cc pens.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant posts dcwaites. All three parts. Thank you so much. As a newbie these are invaluable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm delighted to have come upon this very informative post. Being quite new to fountain pens, I'm sure that I'll constantly be coming back to it in the future. Great post!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DavidW, Thank you! My "go to," daily carry pen is the lowly Hero 616 inked with Parker Quink Permanent Black. As somewhat of a newbie, I assumed that Parker Quink Permanent Black was a "safe" ink for the most part. I have several 616's in service and have noticed that the one loaded with PQPB has some staining of the sac (a sort of red violet color) and a slight blackening of the aerometric filler's clear plastic components. It would have taken me another few years to see the mounting empirical evidence and come to the conclusion that PQPB is, what you have labeled: a level III ink. I agree with you completely and will be washing out my daily carry pen more often and will be a bit more discriminating when it comes to what I put in my more delicate vintage pens. Thanks!

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

• 4 months later...

David,

As a noob, I find your 3 part series outstanding. Extremely informative and a huge "feather in the hat" for this site.

Thank you for this contribution!! :thumbup:

Thank you.

There is another instalment which I must post RSN*.

*Real Soon Now...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

As a favor to noobs, I've seen several comments telling a noob to see Sandy1s comments/evaluation/reviews etc. How about a link? I can find everything but that reference.

As a favor to noobs, I've seen several comments telling a noob to see Sandy1s comments/evaluation/reviews etc. How about a link? I can find everything but that reference.

Open this link and search for "Sandy1".

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this cogent and clearly written introduction to inks. The explanation of saturation levels was particularly helpful to me as a noob.

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much for writing these beautifully written articles. I feel like you have added to the lexicon!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice article, especially on pen hygiene. Poor hygiene is probably the most frequent cause of pens having to go to a repairman somewhere.

Is there a list of level 3 inks please?

There are so many inks out there, that it would be impossible to compile a complete list. However, as mentioned, all Pigmented, and all Iron-Gall inks can be considered to be level 3.

As for Dye-based inks, all the highly saturated inks. This includes all Noodler's, Private Reserve, Wancher, Monteverde, Robert Oster, Blackstone and some of the Diamine inks like Sargasso Sea.

I think I would now include Akkerman, Iroshizuku and Pelikan Edelstein.

There are many that I haven't listed at any level because I haven't tried them, including Faber-Castell, Caren d'Ache, Omas, Aurora, and most Indian, Chinese and Japanese inks.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 2 months later...

Thanks for such a helpful post. I'm a newbie and after reading all three posts a lot is making sense to me like why it felt different with different inks. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Those, allmost professional, articles have encouraged me to clean more regulary my pens! So I can use them the rest of my lifetime! Thank you all.