Modern Duofold Or Cross Townsend

Brian C

Duofold Centennial or Cross Townsend  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pick the Townsend or Duofold Centennial?

• Parker Duofold Centennial
    • Cross Townsend

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Rice

• pankaj

• jar

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Both beautiful pens but being a Parker collector a modern Duofold would nearly be as good as a vintage Duofold.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I have both and have had them for many years. And both are inked right now. Hmm, very difficult, But as I have to choose, I'll go with the Parker.

Reason - JUST BECAUSE.

Agree with others, both great pens.....so, very difficult to choose one over the other.....a bit of choosing apples over oranges as they are very different designs.....

So, can't go wrong with either one.....

However, if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Parker Centennial with their italic nib.....and because I tend to like chunkier (width...) pens....the Townsends are a bit slim feeling to me......

But again, both great pens....

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I have both. Actually the Townsend cap DID wear over time. Cross promptly replaced it. In my view there's not a lot to recommend one over the other. But, my Duo is the 1992 sunset orange version, I'd hate to lose it.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Agree with others, both great pens.....so, very difficult to choose one over the other.....a bit of choosing apples over oranges as they are very different designs.....

So, can't go wrong with either one.....

However, if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Parker Centennial with their italic nib.....and because I tend to like chunkier (width...) pens....the Townsends are a bit slim feeling to me......

But again, both great pens....

:)

Mark

+1

I think Cross TS is slim but longer, the cap is heavier in comparison. Posted, TS feels substantially back heavy. I prefer Centennial which is relatively better in ergonomics. Nibs...ouch, both are nails, imo. But then again the Centennial Italics really a treat !

A comment on the caps (and this applies only to me):

I never post my Centennial as it does upset the ballance.

I always post the Cross. I have had the Cross (USA) for a very long time and the cap snaps on and off just like it did the day I bought it.

Durability:

The Parker is plastic.

The Cross I have is metal and it was literally dropped in the snow in a parking lot and then run over by a pick-up truck. A few minor barrel dents were the only result. (Yes, I did cry)

Edited by Charles Rice

I have both.

This is a really tough call. I think I'd go for either a jade or sterling silver Townsend with either a stubby B or BB nib over a modern duo fold, although the 1992 orange Duofold might make think more than twice about this decision.

I do not like the latest versions of the Duofold.

As others have said very different pens. Worth trying to see them before you buy if at all possible.

Edited by da vinci

Had both. Still have the modern Duofold Centennials but gave the Townsends and all my other Cross pens to my brother-in-law. He loves Cross pens.

My Website

Between a Parker Duofold Centennial and a Cross Townsend which would you pick and why?

Wrong comparison. I would go for the Peerless over both of these.

Edited by Tancred

Not sure. I am in the same predicament as the OP....

without trying either my initial instinct would be the Parker. But I would want to try both.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I did not bother with either brand for the longest time. That was until I found these older Parker italics and oblique italics when I was traveling through Asia this year.

Today I have 5 Duofolds, both Centennials and Internations, all fitted with their more unusual nibs. Broad, medium and fine italics, as well as an oblique italic broad and an oblique fine. The shape of the Duofold, together with said nibs, make the Parkers wonderful writing instruments.

I am very late to the game, but at least I'm here!

Duofold. Aesthetics.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Being a cross guy for years when I got into fountain pens the Townsend was naturally the pen to aspire to so I have several examples from the sterling silver with 18k nib down to the chrome one with steel nib. They are a great value and performer, especially the steel nibbed ones. The modern Duofold on the other hand with its higher cost and the generally lack lustre reputation of modern parkers, it never appealed to me. There were other pens I wanted more at that price point before a c/c duofold. The 51 and sonnet were more affordable and seemed to have a better reputation when it came to Parker's. So i have a few 51s and sonnets. Maybe one day if I come across a good deal on a duofold will try one.

Edited by max dog

Both are on my wish list. I'm leaning toward the Townsend, as I already own 4 nice Parkers, and I prefer click caps over twist, usually.

I also feel the Townsend design is more unique and iconic. I'm interested in either a sterling silver or lacquered model.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Duofold, I have one 1929 vintage, and several of the newer versions. I do not have a Townsend, nor do I want one, strictly on asthetics. I have a couple of older, smaler Cross fountain pens, and will say they write as good as the Parkers, but are much slimmer match up better with a couple of Cross ballpoint/pencil sets.

Regards

Jeff