Pelikan M1000 Arrived With Damage (Photo)

n2o

I have shopped at Farhney's online and their Pelikan prices are not full retail, at least on the web site. I don't know about what is listed in the store.

I'm not very familiar with Visconti, but a web search told me that Power Filler is a kind of filling system used by Visconti on some of their models. It's possible the sales person was not familiar with Visconti, and this specialized filling system. I can't say. But I think if you had asked about a specific model, maybe they would have been more knowledgeable.

The fountain pen world is very tiny, so sometimes our expectations may not be met when these stores cannot rely on a steady stream of customers. If price is the only criteria, then everything will eventually be made in China. And I'm going to be quiet now and sip my American-made whiskey.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• n2o

• white_lotus

• Charles Rice

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to know that their website offers prices other than retail. They don't have pricing on any of the pens in the store, but when I asked the salesperson they said all their normal pens are retail, and the sale pens are specially marked and in a separate cabinet. I didn't mean to sound unhappy with my visit, it was certainly a pleasant experience. They are leagues better than any of the other stores I have been to.

I'm just going to say something unpopular here. In my opinion, luxury pens are hardly a necessary item to own. If you do go in for that kind of thing, doing a bit of homework on your seller or accepting the consequences of buying at premium is the least I would expect. Amazon is not a trusted purveyor of specialty items. If you were lucky, count your blessings.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Unfortunately not everyone can afford to purchase their pens from reputable US distributors. . . . . . I understand that I pay the price for overseas discounting when I get defective or damaged products, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

That pretty much says it all. Like I said before, "ya pays yer money and takes yer chances."

The OP only states that he didn't buy from a reputable "US" seller. Nothing was said about the third party Amazon seller from which he/she bought. Many of those sellers have hundreds of positive reviews and many are also Pelikan authorized sellers (I've bought from Amazon third party sellers and had the nib exchanged by Chartpak, for example). Any statements about whether the OP did research the seller or about the reputation of the seller are just assumptions.

Also, as I mentioned before, buying from "reputable" US sellers is no guarantee that everything will go smoothly. I've had bad experiences with some such sellers US or not (which I'll not name). Finally the "money" paid by the OP was very good money, nothing of the kind "too good to be true".

Sometimes I wonder why so little solidarity whenever somebody, that paid good money, gets a defective pen or has trouble with the repair centers... It seems to be a phenomenon more common in the German pen forums than with the other brands (even when, as is the case here, the OP never says a bad word against the brand). Why? Can't we just put ourselves in their shoes and hope everything will get fixed?

Obviously on the Amazon Marketplace there are usually many sellers available for the more popular items. There was a whole list of potential sellers available to me when I purchased my M1000. I did not buy from the cheapest, as they had little or no ratings to support them. I won't purchase from anyone without an established seller history, it's just too much money to risk. I balanced cost with rating/number of reviews and ended up with a seller that had a decent price and an acceptable number of positive reviews. This is normally my process when purchasing from any online marketplace.

I'd choose a seller with 100 reviews and a 90% rating over a seller with 5 reviews and 100% rating.

Sometimes I wonder why so little solidarity whenever somebody, that paid good money, gets a defective pen or has trouble with the repair centers... It seems to be a phenomenon more common in the German pen forums than with the other brands (even when, as is the case here, the OP never says a bad word against the brand). Why? Can't we just put ourselves in their shoes and hope everything will get fixed?

People can buy where they want to. I personally think there is a difference between nib problems such as a fine writing more like a broad, or the reverse, and what seem to be actual defects in manufacturing as here. I certainly hope retailer, distributor, and/or Pelikan, make good and n2o gets a quality M1000.

But unless you have a retailer that opens the box and inspects the pen, or you are able to personally inspect the pen before purchase, these things are possible. Hopefully this was an exception at Pelikan QC and will be corrected.

But there are many pens I cannot afford at the usual selling price and I choose not to buy them, even though I like the pen. I have more pens than a Hindu goddess has arms, I don't need any more pens.

Buying via the internet has it challenges, and unseen defects are probably a greater risk than some other purchases, even when the vendor has a relatively good rating.

Obviously on the Amazon Marketplace there are usually many sellers available for the more popular items. There was a whole list of potential sellers available to me when I purchased my M1000. I did not buy from the cheapest, as they had little or no ratings to support them. I won't purchase from anyone without an established seller history, it's just too much money to risk. I balanced cost with rating/number of reviews and ended up with a seller that had a decent price and an acceptable number of positive reviews. This is normally my process when purchasing from any online marketplace.

I'd choose a seller with 100 reviews and a 90% rating over a seller with 5 reviews and 100% rating.

I really feel the need to apologize here. I was speaking in general terms and making assumptions. Of course, you should expect a perfect product. I'm more concerned about the nib than what may be glue residue - on a recent M800 purchase I examined two pens of the same nib width and found that one had the slit slightly off center. Unfortunately, these things do happen and if you have to order online, you should be given the opportunity to exchange the defective product. I hope all works out well!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang