Pelikan M1000 Arrived With Damage (Photo)

n2o

Hello,

I just received my second Pelikan M1000 in the mail (the first had to go back due to frequent skipping). When I opened the package and thoroughly inspected the pen I found a defect in the cap, it almost looks like a scrape in the gold plating. I purchased the pen through the Amazon marketplace (a Japanese seller). I don't know how this pen could have passed through Pelikan's QC inspection. Do you guys think this was sold knowing it was damaged?

post-96214-0-08181600-1451617456_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• n2o

• white_lotus

• jkingrph

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really sorry that your pen is damaged. It is such a frustration when that happens. Not to mention the long wait to have the pen exchanged, unfortunately.

I really doubt that the pen left Pelikan's headquarters that way, it seems to me the kind of damage that happens due to misuse of the pen (maybe the pen was dropped or something). You should file a complaint with Amazon to get the pen exchanged.

Good luck.

Edited by Lam1

Yeah the pen is on it's way back to the vendor. The pen took 3 weeks to arrive, what a pain. Now the lowest price on the Amazon marketplace is $70 more. Anyone have any suggestions on where to acquire a replacement from a reliable vendor at discount pricing?

Also, the tines were pretty far out of alignment. It seems like this pen was a floor model or something. It also came in a small, very generic-looking Pelikan box (no white pleather envelope or paperwork whatsoever).

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Definitely a piece to return with damage like that. I have never seen damage like what you depict from the factory. I guess anything is possible but I wonder whether this was damage incurred at the vendors hand. One of the reasons that the pen was cheaper is the generic box. The fancy gift boxes have to be purchased separately by vendors and that extra expense gets passed onto the consumers. A lot of the more cheaply priced Pelikans on Amazon will come in just the generic cardboard sleeve. Not really a big deal unless you're specifically looking for the gift packaging. Hope you get this sorted out in the new year. Good luck.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Welcome to the club.

I too recently purchased a M1000, brand new. The feed fins were damaged towards the base. I posted some pictures of it in the pelikan forum. I returned the nib unit for exchange.

The replacement nib unit feed fins was fine but the tines were maligned.

I really now think the QC from pelikan is just poor. I am not surprised that you too are having trouble.

Welcome to the club.

The replacement nib unit feed fins was fine but the tines were maligned.

I really now think the QC from pelikan is just poor. I am not surprised that you too are having trouble.

I do believe that you are placing the blame in the wrong place. Buy that way on-line and ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

I do believe that you are placing the blame in the wrong place. Buy that way on-line and ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Surely, when I buy a brand new pelikan pen for a price of M1000. I expect a certain level of quality. I also have several M 200 and the nib is not what I expect for the price I pay for. TWSBI jowo nib is much better for fraction of the price. Although cracking of the barrel is an issue.

Ok, let's compare apples with apples. My MB 149 and several 146 solitaires have no such problems out of the box. Price must = quality. I believe QC is not just up to scratch. I am not alone in this opinion. Feel free to search the pelikan forum see opinions of others who share my view.

Whether I buy on line or from a brick and mortar store makes no difference. It's the same production pen.

Whether I buy on line or from a brick and mortar store makes no difference. It's the same production pen.

If a pen is damaged after having left the Pelikan factory, one has to consider the vendors. I think there are real differences between brick and mortar stores and online shops, and an Amazon shop. I personally would never buy a Pelikan off Amazon, especially if my reason is "because it was cheaper".

At a physical store, you can inspect the merchandise in person. And folks that have gone to the trouble of setting up a real online presence with their own website and establishing their credentials have a better chance at supplying quality products than an Amazon vendor.

Honestly I do not think I will ever try to buy a pen from an amazon vendor again. Recently I tried for one of the Pilot 742 pens with a FA nib, got shipping notice, ect and it never showed up. Vendor said it might be lost or delayed and asked me to wait another week which I did, no pen. THis was after about 5 weeks total. Then they said they would reship, and I asked for a tracking number which turned out to be invalid, so I requested and got refund. I wonder if they had really shipped with a good tracking if they would have given a refund so quickly. It makes me think it was just a short term interest free loan to them.

Edited by jkingrph

Regards

Jeff

A lot of us have to "take our chances" I live in east Texas and closest places the have good pen shops are Houston, 200 miles one way or Dallas, about 120, so all my purchases are online.

Regards

Jeff

A lot of us have to "take our chances" I live in east Texas and closest places the have good pen shops are Houston, 200 miles one way or Dallas, about 120, so all my purchases are online.

Buying on-line does not mean you have to "take your chances" and buy through Amazon. You'll pay more perhaps, but you can always go through Anderson's or some other fine store.

I got some great advice from another FPN member about Zeichen-Center Ebeling (www.zc77.de) and they are actually a brick and mortar store in Germany. I placed my order with them and actually saved an additional $70 over the Amazon marketplace price. The ordering process is a little weird, and I haven't received the pen yet, but I will be looking there for any future German pen purchases. Since I saved so much money on this purchase I made a small donation to FPN.

Unfortunately not everyone can afford to purchase their pens from reputable US distributors. I would love to purchase a pen from Binder that I KNOW would be perfect, but the price difference is more than I can justify. I have to save for months for each pen purchase and I want my money to go where it is most effective. I understand that I pay the price for overseas discounting when I get defective or damaged products, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

Ouch! The vendor should have inspected it before sending it out. I agree that with an M1000, you should expect a little more lip service. If it was the factory's fault, then shame on them for letting it leave. It still goes back to the vendor's responsibility. I'm sorry you're having to go through with a lengthy exchange. It's an aggravating nightmare that I wouldn't want to go through.

Although I thought so at first as well, I'm pretty sure that isn't glue on the cap. I used a silver cloth (with impregnated compound) to do a little rubbing but it didn't budge.

Buying on-line does not mean you have to "take your chances" and buy through Amazon. You'll pay more perhaps, but you can always go through Anderson's or some other fine store.

Absolutly, That's what I do most of the time. Fountain Pen Hospital, Fahrneys, Iguana Sell out of Spain, Martini Auctions out of Germany, and have had pretty good luck on eBay(better than amazon)by paying close attention to sellers.

Regards

Jeff

Unfortunately not everyone can afford to purchase their pens from reputable US distributors. I would love to purchase a pen from Binder that I KNOW would be perfect, but the price difference is more than I can justify. I have to save for months for each pen purchase and I want my money to go where it is most effective. I understand that I pay the price for overseas discounting when I get defective or damaged products, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

+ 1.

I could never afford to have the pens I have if I were to buy them all in the US. Besides, some of my pens would have cost more than double if bought here, and I don't think that is a reasonable difference, even if you discount VAT (and I do send in a check every year with the "Use Tax" for stuff I buy online).

Another thing to consider, as already mentioned, is that many of us live in places that do not have any B&M pen stores around, thus we have no other option than buy online.

I also have bought many items from third party through Amazon and I had no problems so far, and in some cases (like Japanese pens) that is probably one of the best sources out there. So, I don't see that buying through this route is "taking chances" - in fact, many of the third party sellers there, in particular the Japanese, are just mom and pops B&M stores trying to make a honest living (I love the personal touch that many of them add, with an origami or a handwritten note).

By the way, even if one buys from so-called "reputable" sellers, there is a chance of problems, as I know all too well from a GvFC that I bought 5 months ago from a very respected seller around here. The pen was defective on arrival but the seller was less than forthcoming in acknowledging it, so it was off to Faber-Castell and not back yet.

So, I just see this as an instance in which, unfortunately, the OP had bad luck and I have my fingers crossed that this does not happen again.

I try to avoid Amazon if possible. Both my wife and I have had several cases of goods not arriving (we have always got our money back). Also in a lot of cases it pays to check the third party that Amazon are selling through and checking their website. Very often the goods are much cheaper from the original seller rather than Amazon. As far as pens are concerned, all the sellers mentioned are top rate.

Peter

Just one thing to add...I live in DC and have THREE B&M stores local to me:

An official Montblanc Boutique - Received horrible service there and they failed to provide ANY assistance or followup with a technical question. They told me the MB 149 wasn't available in platinum finish (even though they do sell it and I own one). This store is more of a watch shop with pens in the back. Plus, when I was there they had NO ink to sell for any of their writing instruments (I even asked). I found this really really strange for a pen company. Maybe the person salesperson was confused. This is definitely not a mom and pop store.

Paradise Pen - In a local mall with full retail pricing and nothing but medium nibs on the shelf. The staff is really nice but they don't know much about the pens except which one is shiny and which one isn't. They tried to sell me one of their house brands with a "gold nib". The nib didn't have any hallmarking but they still insisted it was gold. It was definitely steel with gold plating. This is definitely not a mom and pop store either.

Fahrney's - This is a nice shop with a lot of nice pens. Unfortunately the person I spoke with was not really a pen person. Sure they will be able to help a businessman pick out a rollerball, but they didn't know much about fountain pens (didn't know what I meant when I said I was looking for a Visconti Powerfiller). Still a great shop to look around though. Again, everything is full retail pricing except a small section in the back with sale items. You can occasionally find a gem there though. This is a family owned store, and I would certainly pay a premium to buy here.