Emptying Cartridges With A Syringe?

Munshi

Hello everybody,

A little more than a year ago, when I first started using fountain pens seriously, I was not really aware of the pleasure of using bottled ink. So I ended up buying tons of cartridges. Now, however, I almost exclusively use bottled ink, and those cartridges that I bought initially just sit in a box.

I was wondering if I can empty them with a syringe and collect the ink in separate ink bottles?

Thank you very much!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Munshi

• Charles Rice

• dk76

• ppdiaporama

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do that. Seems like a lot of extra work for little reward.

Just stick the syringe in the cartridge and suck it out. If there are unopened, and you really want to get it out, I'd suggest using the pen to puncture the cartridge, then suck it out. All I've done is just empty out the cartridge. Wasn't a fan of that ink. So I saw no point in saving it.

Make sure your syringe's needle is long enough to make it to the bottom of the cartridge.

However, the ink cartridge is the just a container for the same ink that you will be extracting. Why not just use the cartridges?

Make sure your syringe's needle is long enough to make it to the bottom of the cartridge.

However, the ink cartridge is the just a container for the same ink that you will be extracting. Why not just use the cartridges?

For environmental reasons! I am not a big fan of plastic! Assuming that each cartridge holds 1ml ink, we waste an approx. 50 plastic cartridges for a 50 ml ink jar, which is totally recyclable, if not collectable.

Just to be argumentative here.

You still have the cartridges though. Whether you use it or empty it, the cartridges have been produced and used.

How about you recycle the cartridges as you use them up? And then there's no waste.

I am re-purposing my cartridges. Got a syringe and refilling it with ink I have from a bottle. My problem is I suffer from color A.D.D. I can get through about half a cartridge before I feel the need to switch it up. For this, a converter would be a better fit for me.

On the plus side, the cartridge holds just that little bit more ink than the converter. So should I ever not suffer from color-tiredness, then I could go through a converter.

You still have the cartridges though. Whether you use it or empty it, the cartridges have been produced and used.

How about you recycle the cartridges as you use them up? And then there's no waste.

I am re-purposing my cartridges. Got a syringe and refilling it with ink I have from a bottle. My problem is I suffer from color A.D.D. I can get through about half a cartridge before I feel the need to switch it up. For this, a converter would be a better fit for me.

On the plus side, the cartridge holds just that little bit more ink than the converter. So should I ever not suffer from color-tiredness, then I could go through a converter.

+1

I see your point! But since I switched almost entirely to converters or piston fillers, those cartridges will never be used.

I see your point! But since I switched almost entirely to converters or piston fillers, those cartridges will never be used.

Well in that case it would seem you only have two options. Either throw them away full, or recycle them after you've emptied them with a syringe. You can't recycle them if they are full of ink. :)

Actually, I just thought of a third option: Give them away to someone who uses cartridges. :)

You could even PIF them on FPN. ;)

If it were me, I'd post 'em in PIF. I had a bunch of Sheaffer cartridges that I got rid of that way.

If it were me, I'd post 'em in PIF. I had a bunch of Sheaffer cartridges that I got rid of that way.

What's PIF, Charles? Sounds like a good idea.

"Pay it Forward" Post it in that forum and you are giving them away to whomever meets your specification.

e.g. I have 47 standard Sheafter cartridges for someone in Australia (or where ever). You pay postage. Best ten word theme of why I deserve them gets them.

"Pay it Forward" Post it in that forum and you are giving them away to whomever meets your specification.

e.g. I have 47 standard Sheafter cartridges for someone in Australia (or where ever). You pay postage. Best ten word theme of why I deserve them gets them.

Great idea! Thank you

Its possible. To save the ink inside the cartridge as suggested use a syringe with a long needle. I usually buy cartridge to fill with inks that I like.

For me I can stick with a color for long time, especially if I like it (purple colors). Many pen's cartridge can old lot more ink than a converter can (Parker, Montblanc, Sailor), so for me its really worth it, especially because I rarely like the ink color came in cartridge, so I just empty them and fill them with a color I like.

I have filled empties before. but if they are full theres no point in emptying them unles your trying to put it in piston or alternative fill pens. Like said above I'd chew them up as is. You could save them once emptied for refills.