Pastelize Your Life Permanently! De Atramentis Document Ink White

Morbus Curiositas

Thanks for the info. I believe when I tested the inks I was using some of my wetter pens. Perhaps in a slightly drier nib I would see less bleed through. There is also the chance that perhaps I got a bad sample, this has happened a few times in the past. I'll definitely be looking for a sample of D-A White. It looks like an ideal ink for mixing.

I'll throw my name in the hat for the baby blue vial. :)

I have the DA Document Green, and it bleeds ridiculously on any paper with any nib. No paper/pen combination makes it suitable for two-sided writing (and I have tried best papers with finest nibs).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• amberleadavis

• pictogramax

• Abner C. Kemp

Thank you Peter for all your hard ink blending! You've inspired me to experiment. As it happens I'm taking part in a Massdrop bundle of 5 standard De Altramentis inks. I hope the permanent inks will be available in a bundle some day soon.

Coincidentally, I've been searching online for both the colors you mixed - with no luck! I love the lilac.

Nina

I have to admit, the subject line has caught my eye every time I've checked in on the board. Not because I want to pastelize my life, but because I've wondered how in the world you pasteurize your life. Life in trifocals is much more entertaining...

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have the DA Document Green, and it bleeds ridiculously on any paper with any nib. No paper/pen combination makes it suitable for two-sided writing (and I have tried best papers with finest nibs).

Will contact Dr J on this....

It bleedun a fountain pen ?

Will keep you informed

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I have to admit, the subject line has caught my eye every time I've checked in on the board. Not because I want to pastelize my life, but because I've wondered how in the world you pasteurize your life. Life in trifocals is much more entertaining...

And can I start with my kids? Or should I Pastoralize them?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you Peter for all your hard ink blending! You've inspired me to experiment. As it happens I'm taking part in a Massdrop bundle of 5 standard De Altramentis inks. I hope the permanent inks will be available in a bundle some day soon.

Coincidentally, I've been searching online for both the colors you mixed - with no luck! I love the lilac.

Nina

Great idea

There was a limited edition of the cmyk docu inks in 20cl bottles

I believe Dr ran out of these smaller bottles

You might want to check larrypost australia for a remaining set

I will lead your Idea to Dr J

Regards Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Nix, these lovely document inks are really meant to be mixed with other inks and not necessarily used solo. For example, I love the Fuschia mixed in almost any otherwise dry ink. If you are going to use just the Document green, add some of the De Atramentis Thinner or add some distilled water to a small sample.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nix, these lovely document inks are really meant to be mixed with other inks and not necessarily used solo. For example, I love the Fuschia mixed in almost any otherwise dry ink. If you are going to use just the Document green, add some of the De Atramentis Thinner or add some distilled water to a small sample.

I talked to Dr J

He asked me if he should bring out the ink on the market

He also liked the Idea of sending it to you and spread the D-A White virus in the Usa via samples

I talked to Dr J

He also liked the Idea of sending it to you and spread the D-A White virus in the Usa via samples

I'd love a sample of the DA White. I have the Document Fuscia and am considering the Document Brown.

I talked to Dr J

I'm always happy to infect others.

Is this ink comparable to Noodler's Wotw? That's the only ink similar to the point of this ink that I can think of. Your bottle of DeA ink even shows the same type of bubbles that appear on my Wotw bottle if I shake it at all.

Hi Morphling

Sorr y a bit late.

I haven't use d Noodlers WOTW s I cant compare.

This ink however has white pigments. You will havee to shake pen or bottle to divide the pigment particles.

If you leaf it on yur desk the white pigments will sink to the bottom. I filled a pen wiht it and left it on my desk... At first nothing happens (looks like a hard start) shaked the pen for 2 secs and it wrote smothly again.

Dr J tested this in a pen to but then by leavng it on his desk for two weeks.... Same procedure... shake and write

Dr J and I sugest it is best to regular manitain the pen and rinse it when not used though....

If you have more questions shoot....

Better yet send me your adress an I will send you a sample

regards

Peter

• 2 months later...

Quite awhile back I purchased a sample of De Atramentis Document Blue. The ink feathered and bled through Rhodia and Clairefontaine paper, which was a first for me. As a result, I more or less swore off the document line. I voiced these complaints on this very thread and Morbus offered to send me a sample of mix of Document Blue and the new Document White. I’m always game for sampling so I took him up on the generous offer. Now, it took quite awhile for the sample to get here (international shipping is always fun), but right when it showed up I inked it in a pen and put the stuff through its paces. Over a span of 5 days it was tested with five different paper types, subjected to various fade tests, and heavily scrutinized. I have to admit; I expected this ink to perform poorly based on my previous sample. In fact, the ink performed fantastically and I am happy to chalk my previous experience up to a bad sample (which has happened before). While it may not be a “perfect” ink (good luck finding one) it’s a unique, incredibly permanent, and fairly well behaved writing fluid that I greatly enjoyed. So, let’s get into the specifics:

First, I should note that I used an Italix Parson’s Essential with a steel Medium Cursive Stub nib for these samples. I chose this pen for a variety of reasons. First, it’s a nib size and grind that I would use for daily writing and journaling but also broad enough to show any shading the ink might possess. Second, It’s a fairly traditional screw on cap so I thought it would offer a good gauge of how easily the ink dries out. Finally, it’s a pen that runs a bit on the dry side. I’d read that the Document Line (and De Atramentis inks in general) tend to run on the wet side, my hope was that the drier Italix (~4/10 flow) would balance out the writing experience.

Time to offer some general scores. We’ll be working on a 0-5 scale, 0 is terrible and 5 is excellent.

1. Color: (N/A)

Well it’s a mix so this category isn’t particularly practical and therefore it will not receive a score. For the record, I love the color. The pastel baby blue reminds me of my Mother’s hydrangea plants that lined my back yard as a child – and how mad she would get when I went sifting through the hydrangea patch for lost wiffle balls. It’s a color that’s light enough to be “soothing” without lacking legibility. Of course, the great thing is that you can mix your own.

2. Flow: (3/5)

This is a very thick ink, more reminiscent of paint than fountain pen ink. As a result, I did notice some hard starting and occasional ink dry out though I never experienced a pronounced skip that impeded writing. It’s a permanent ink, it’s not uncommon for permanent inks to have these kinds of issues. It might take a shake or two to get the ink flowing properly after the pen has been sitting overnight but that’s about it. Once the ink does get flowing it is wet and very lubricated. Again, with a feel that resembles using fine paint – somewhat reminiscent of the Noodler’s Bulletproof inks but less slippery and more sticky. It’s quite easy to control your pen while using this ink and I think it would make an excellent choice for calligraphers or artists.

3. Shading / Sheen: (3/5)

There is some definite shading going on with this ink, it’s subtle shading but it is apparent on almost all of the writing samples. There is no sheen but I’m not deducting any points for that with this ink. In fact, I think sheen would completely ruin the soft airy color.

4. Feathering: (5/5)

This ink did not feather on any of my top tier papers and barely feathered at all on cheap Staples paper. Seriously impressive, I don’t think I own an ink that could beat it in this category.

5. Bleeding: (4.5/5)

Again, no bleeding on my top tier papers. There was bleeding on the cheap Staples paper but that’s par for the course for many inks. An impressive showing on par with “boy scout inks” like Waterman Serenity Blue and Montblanc Royal Blue.

6. Show Through: (3.5/5)

Perhaps a bit more than usual but nothing glaring.

7. Permanence: (5/5)

Seriously, this ink is permanent. Apart from lighting the page on fire, you will be able to recover what you wrote. Check out the tests for the proof – and some weird tests like hand sanitizer and vinegar. The only test that altered the ink was a bleach mixture but the remaining writing was perfectly legible and actually quite a nice turquoise’y’ blue.

8. Cleaning: (2/5)

I know this is a low score and perhaps I’m being a bit too hard on the ink. Again, keep in mind this is a very permanent and very thick gluey ink. I’m sure you can imagine how that might be difficult to flush out of a pen with simple water. That said, if you have some patience (or pen flush) the pen will clean out just fine.

Total: 26/35

Now for a subjective rating of sorts. What do I think of this mix?

Quite simply, I love the ink. It behaves well, flows well, is extremely permanent, and was a joy to use. I will note that the photos I’ve seen of Document White by itself makes the ink seem a bit washed out. I can’t really comment on that as I only have the mix at my disposal. The mix, however, is divine and it was perfectly legible on black cardboard. If I had to give the ink a grade it would be an A- and that’s quite a high score for me. It easily beats any Noodler’s bulletproof ink I’ve tried in terms of performance, flow, and dependability. Color is a different story, I can see some people not liking this powdery blue but I loved it.

Oh, and before we go, let me add a few notes. Aside from the papers shown below, I used the ink on Leuchtturm paper with great success and even Moleskine paper with only minor spotting. I also left the ink in the pen for ~3 weeks, which is probably longer than De Atramentis would suggest, however it never dried up and I never really had any issues with it. I did need to shake the converter a bit to get the ink mixed up and the flow moving smoothly, but it was pretty darn maintenance free.

So, that’s my review. Enjoy the scans and pardon the terrible handwriting. I hope this is helpful to some of you that are interested in this ink. I’d like to thank Morbus for the opportunity to try a sample!!

NOTE: I'm having problems resizing the scans so I've sent them to Morbus in the hopes that he is more tech savvy than I.

Thank you, Abner. If you need help, send me the images and I'll resize them and upload them.

I'm glad you like them more now.

If the ink is too thick, De A make a dilution liquid specifically for their Document inks designed to dilute the colour of the ink without changing the waterproof and lightfast properties of the ink.

I'm sure Peter can provide more info.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I have a de. A. document fuchsia bottle. When written with a Pilot VP(medium, quite a wet pen), it did not bleed through Rhodia and had only slight bleedthrough in Moleskine. I am not sure about other colours, but fuchsia is well-behaved and very pretty.

But one thing is not said; that we shall suffer from cowardice, from cravens or the fear of cravens.

Hello To all

Srry for answering so late i have been busy at work

I need a lot of your help

I alredy heave twenty shimmerin inks (containing gold and silver particles copper will follow. Dr J areed aon sending a bottle of e<ch of the to Amberlea see can send samples for testeing then...

Your feed back is importatn to Dr J

• 2 weeks later...

OOO, I'm so excited. I will be glad to share the so that we can test it.