What's Your Best Writer?

Stowford

What is the pen in your collection that just writes the best - the pen that you just know will be an enjoyabe and reliable writing experience?

For me it would have to be my Platinum Century in fine. Perfect line and flow. No skipping. Comfortable in the hand. I find myself constantly turning to it in front of several others in my collection. Perfect for work and correspondence. What's your best writer?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• agentdaffy007

• flipper_gv

• TgeekB

• openionated

I would say my Pilot VP but I replaced the nib unit as I dropped that pen.

It's a mix of the Pilot Justus95 and the Pilot Custom 743 as both has great balance so the size doesn't feel that big. It just works and it's been like 5 months since I cleaned then.

Also I think you lag/double poasted. (Posted)

#Nope

Writing Sample:

10265631_1241520682531803_14148642547060

Nibs:

734886_1241520735865131_27284912341963508878_1241520775865127_809503108331604566

Bonus Kon-Peki Shading:

10462359_1241520802531791_58620437744779

Bonus Yama-Dori Sheening:

10710773_1241520872531784_24251701208815

Overall, the best writer is the ST Dupont. It's just very pleasant.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

This merits a few answers:

Of my italics, the best writers are three: Franklin Christoph 1.5, Conklin Duragraph stub, and a Prera with stub from anothe rPilot , I think a Plumix.. who knows?

The smoothest and wetter are the Pelikans: M200 Italic,400NN OM and a stiff hards 400NN. They are soooo wet and smooth! But I don't like wet pens, so I have retired them to sleep for a while.

And the fines: I like the TWSBI mini with EF and the Heritage 912 F. First is dry and the second is wet and smooth.

Like, it depends on my mood which one I will use.

Best writer for me, is a Pelikan M805 with F nib. However my favorite is a Franklin Christoph Model 3 with Masuyama F italic nib.

All my pens are good writers otherwise they would have been moved out so let me put it in another way. If it all got lost for whatever reason, the KaWeCo Dia 2 and the Delta Dolce Vita Fusion would be the first I would replace.

Does that help? ;)

My F-C no. 20 Marietta with medium stub nib is a favorite writer. The question always becomes, what ink is good enough to go in this amazing pen. my TWSBI 580/AL starts up the first time, every time, and is my standard go-to. My Pilot Custom 91 in Soft Fine is a favourite in terms of nib feel.

I've got a bunch of others that I love but these particular pens never go un-inked. My Edison Collier is trying to break into the top ranks, but I keep on filling it up with glittery inks and then not using it much because... glitter. Clearly something is wrong with me.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I picked up an Alfred Dunhill AD2000 that had previously had the nib "worked on"? The pen looks pretty much new but it writes like a dream, SO smooth. Being a metal body it is sometimes cold and reminds me that I am using a proper pen

My best writer is my Lamy 2000 it's super smooth and has just the right wetness. It was perfect right out of the box. It's a little annoying because I don't like hooded nib pens that much.

My Lamy Studio EF and Pilot Elite E95S EF are my #1 and #2 "go-to"s.....Ironically, they're my first 2 FP purchases since losing my Parker 45 years ago!!:(

I've since had the 45 replaced.....it's a REALLY nice writer, but the medium nib is too wide for my everyday writing (small - REALLY small -- journal notes)....

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

My best writer is probably my Nakaya. My pen log has the most entries with this pen, and it's only been filled with Iroshizuku Asa Gao.

My go-to pen is consistently a Parker "51." I always have one of my "51"s with me at work, and there's always at least one in rotation. The weight, diameter, balance, and material are exceptional. The "51" (and I enjoy both vac and aero) is an exceptional pen.

Buzz

That would be my first Pen of a Lifetime -- my blue swirl Pelikan M200 in fine. The customer service guy at Pelikan SRW probably sent me a half-dozen or more nibs before I got one I really, really liked, and the nice folks at Chartpak have replaced the cap at least that many times. I no longer clip the pen to a polo shirt buttonhole or T shirt collar; if I have no breast pocket, it goes in my front pants pocket. I have no pen I like better.

Very high marks to the RNX by Caran d'Ache. Dependable and velvety smooth.

(Here's a picture of the pen, above my grandfather's "Fix Pencil.")

post-72672-0-94104300-1451406658_thumb.jpg

Edited by speculator

My go-to pen is consistently a Parker "51." I always have one of my "51"s with me at work, and there's always at least one in rotation. The weight, diameter, balance, and material are exceptional. The "51" (and I enjoy both vac and aero) is an exceptional pen.

Buzz

You are right.

Since I got my Sailor 1911L with an amazing 21K MF nib, its won by landslide in writing experience. Previously used my various Sonnets as daily writers, and they are good too, but they have some drawback, need to used regularly otherwise they can be dry out. And sadly that's the case with my Duofold either. If I put away one of my Sailor for weeks, than its no question that it will write instantly. Sadly that's not the case with my Sonnet or Duofold (Parker Urbans are better in this). Still, writing with Sailor 21K nib is simply like a dream.