Sailor Realo Pro Gear Or Pilot Ch 92? (Or Any Other Suggestions Welcomed)

pollandakuma

So my 19th birthday came... And I only got a Kakuno. I originally planned to get a Conid, but my "bank" (read:mom) denied this transaction. I simply HAD to get a gold-nibbed pen after using my Parker 75, so I "called" the "customer service" everyday... My limit is 199 USD :)

I wanted to get a pen with a unique filling system to hold lots of ink so that it could be a daily writer. The reason why Lamy 2000 didn't make it on that list is because I am afraid of The Sweet Spot. I don't like hooded nibs, but Lamy 2000 sure looks like a possible candidate.

I'm also looking for a nib that's smooth and gives. I've been in love with my Parker 75, but the grip is painfully slim and its a present, so I don't want to ruin it...

I'm really indecisive about this. Can someone tell me more about the pros and cons of both? Thank you very much! :D

Broke

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pollandakuma

• Graphemer

• dfo

• junlon

Top Posters In This Topic

So my 19th birthday came... And I only got a Kakuno. I originally planned to get a Conid, but my "bank" (read:mom) denied this transaction. I simply HAD to get a gold-nibbed pen after using my Parker 75, so I "called" the "customer service" everyday... My limit is 199 USD :)

I wanted to get a pen with a unique filling system to hold lots of ink so that it could be a daily writer. The reason why Lamy 2000 didn't make it on that list is because I am afraid of The Sweet Spot. I don't like hooded nibs, but Lamy 2000 sure looks like a possible candidate.

I'm also looking for a nib that's smooth and gives. I've been in love with my Parker 75, but the grip is painfully slim and its a present, so I don't want to ruin it...

I'm really indecisive about this. Can someone tell me more about the pros and cons of both? Thank you very much! :D

A Realo with shipping should be barely outside of your budget and their nibs are intended to be hard. A Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is a great pen and quite a bit cheaper. Check out jetpens.com or engeika.com (no relation to either site).

dfo

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

A Realo with shipping should be barely outside of your budget and their nibs are intended to be hard. A Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is a great pen and quite a bit cheaper. Check out jetpens.com or engeika.com (no relation to either site).

dfo

I was looking at engeika, they have the realo and CH 92 just in my budget. But now I'm moved by the Lamy 2000 *facepalm*

Broke

Some things you might want to consider when making your decision (other than price!)

1. Whilst Sailor nibs are a wonder (I have an 'm' and an 'f' that are absolute pleasures to use), the realo doesn't hold oodles of ink: nibs.com has the sailor piston fillers holding 0.9ml of ink. I seem to recall reading that in practice it holds just a touch more than a sailor converter (e.g. 0.75 ml). Plus, it has that ink window in what I take to be an odd spot (in view when the pen is capped).

2. The pilot ch92 is a very nice pen too (demonstrator!) but it's narrower/thinner than either the Sailor or the Lamy. If you like pens with a bit of girth, the ch92 might disappoint.

3. The Lamy is a workhorse pen, but the nibs seem to be hit or miss out of the box (not a huge deal, if you're willing to tinker) and the styling is not necessarily to everyone's taste.

Myself, I'd probably choose the pilot. Or, if I were patient and willing to buy secondhand, I'd look for a Lamy 2000 and a CH92, which you should be able to get for under $200 (no bets about shipping though).

Hope this helps!

I agree with Graphemer's #3 point, if you do get one especially in EF or F you'll want to have the retailer check the nib before shipping. With the 92, I'm not sure but you might be able to get a softer nib for it if you are not a fan of hard nibs, all of Sailor's nibs are nails.

If this listing is of any indication, seems you can only get the standard F, M, FM, or B nib for it, I'm not sure if they made any of the #5 nibs in Soft or FA.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkvh-15srs/

Edited by KBeezie

Some things you might want to consider when making your decision (other than price!)

1. Whilst Sailor nibs are a wonder (I have an 'm' and an 'f' that are absolute pleasures to use), the realo doesn't hold oodles of ink: nibs.com has the sailor piston fillers holding 0.9ml of ink. I seem to recall reading that in practice it holds just a touch more than a sailor converter (e.g. 0.75 ml). Plus, it has that ink window in what I take to be an odd spot (in view when the pen is capped).

2. The pilot ch92 is a very nice pen too (demonstrator!) but it's narrower/thinner than either the Sailor or the Lamy. If you like pens with a bit of girth, the ch92 might disappoint.

3. The Lamy is a workhorse pen, but the nibs seem to be hit or miss out of the box (not a huge deal, if you're willing to tinker) and the styling is not necessarily to everyone's taste.

Myself, I'd probably choose the pilot. Or, if I were patient and willing to buy secondhand, I'd look for a Lamy 2000 and a CH92, which you should be able to get for under $200 (no bets about shipping though).

Hope this helps!

I see. Then I would go with the Sailor or Lamy, probably. Thank you for your advice! I already have a Kakuno, which is a nail, so I guess I don't want another nail...

Broke

I agree with Graphemer's #3 point, if you do get one especially in EF or F you'll want to have the retailer check the nib before shipping. With the 92, I'm not sure but you might be able to get a softer nib for it if you are not a fan of hard nibs, all of Sailor's nibs are nails.

If this listing is of any indication, seems you can only get the standard F, M, FM, or B nib for it, I'm not sure if they made any of the #5 nibs in Soft or FA.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkvh-15srs/

Thanks for replying! Where do you reckon I can get a Lamy 2000 safely?

I don't think pilot made any soft nibs for 92...

Broke

I bought my Lamy 2000 EF from Amazon.com and got no problems with the nib. It writes smoothly.

Both Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 92 are good pens. - but my Pilot 92 FM nib writes about the same line with Lamy 2000 EF.