Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus Ink - Hellblau (Light Blue)

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner is one of my favourite Ink makers. They offer nice and reasonably priced (especially in Europe) standard inks as well as two gall inks (Salix and Scabiosa). It seems the company is a little underrated among fountain pens aficionados. I believe their products should receive more attention.

Few months ago the company’s introduced a line of six Dokumentus Inks sold in 50 ml glass bottle. Dokumentus ink is the world's first fountain pen ink that conforms to the requirements of DIN ISO 12757-2 (the standard that determines archival quality). Rohrer and Klingner Dokumetus inks has been certified for use by registrars on official documents, they’re ph-neutral, permanent and archival.

Some criteria of this certification require color to remain readable after a defined dose of sunlight and under the influence of water the ink may only extend so far that the text line remain visible. ISO 12757-2 requires legibility and the ability to be stored for long periods of time. These inks should show resistance to water, light, ethanol, hydrochloric acid, ammonia, and bleach. I’ve tried only water. Test was positive. Water won’t do any harm to the text written with one of Dokumentus inks.

fpn_1450711579__rk_dink.jpg

The line consists of six colors:

1. Braun (Brown)
  2. Dunkel Blau (Dark Blue)
  3. Grun (Green)
  4. Hellblau (Light Blue)
  5. Magenta
  6. Schwarz (Black)

fpn_1450941263__hellblau_rk.jpg

Hellblau (Light Blue) is kind of OK blue. Nothing exciting except for archival properties.

fpn_1450941374__hellblau_rk_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1450941329__hellblau_rk_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1450941442__hellblau_rk_leuchtturm_3

fpn_1450941457__hellblau_rk_leuchtturm_4

Tomoe River, Kaweco Sport Classic, broad nib

fpn_1450941499__hellblau_rk_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1450941505__hellblau_rk_tomoe_2.jpg

fpn_1450941510__hellblau_rk_tomoe_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Sport Classic, broad nib

fpn_1450941527__hellblau_rk_leuchtturm_1

fpn_1450941534__hellblau_rk_leuchtturm_2

Oxford notebook, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

fpn_1450941517__hellblau_rk_ox.jpg

Water resistance

(white balance is slightly off - artificial light, shot taken 5 hours after putting this page into water)

fpn_1450711596__rk_dink_2.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• visvamitra

• Manalto

• Yarn-Yogini

Thanks for the review.

This one I rather like. The cream colored papers seem to really bring out the best in it, though -- the white paper made it look a little insipid.

I suspect that a finer nib would choke off the things I like. But it's going on my list of "try a sample".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the review.

This one I rather like. The cream colored papers seem to really bring out the best in it, though -- the white paper made it look a little insipid.

I suspect that a finer nib would choke off the things I like. But it's going on my list of "try a sample".

I agree with you that it looks better on creamy paper. But still it's not attractive enough for me to get a bottle.

Thanks for the review. It's an inoffensive blue, don't you think? The dunkel blau has a little more oomph and, judging by these photos, a touch of violet.

James

Thanks for the review.

While I find that a dryish fine nib is usually required for a poor quality paper, a wettish fine nib (like my Pilot Century 3776 Soft Fine) usually makes an ink look more intense.

Also, whilst both the Light Blue and the Dark Blue don't seem to inspire, I wonder what a blend of the two would look like.

Vis, any chance of a swab of an equal parts mix of the two?

It would be interesting to see how it compared to Koh-i-noor Document Blue.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Sorry for the shortage here... everybody here at home needs me for cooking and they're all busy fooling around with non-inky things. 26th of December... Phooey....

Herbin dip pen on Rhodia paper. Things would have looked better with a better pen and more pens and papers... but... judge by yourself....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Light%20and%20Dark_1.jpg

Have a merry one!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The mix made me like both the light and dark better.

Well, my hat off to James. He has taste, so I have taste.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for the review.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Great work as always. Mike, thanks for the comparisons and the mixes.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone has been using this ink, and which pen they're using it in?
I have tried it in a few of my pens and have not had success.

In my Pilot Metropolitan F nib, it creeps AND the nib/feed dries really fast, which makes me have to constantly run it under a tap to get in going again. (meaning, I set the pen down, turn the page of my notebook and now it doesn't write kinda thing)

I tried it in a cheap Hero 966 with a 0.3mm hooded nib which was better but still getting the stop start issue, and ironically has been the best pen so far

I now have it in a Jinhao 599 and again the stopping issue. I've had to run it under water a few times today after it has sat capped 2-3 hrs.

I don't get it...

I'm ready to give up! I wonder if there's something I'm doing wrong, or I've just not used the right pen.

I have a love/hate thing going on with the colour (depends on which other colours I have on the page, the paper, the day, etc) and I am considering getting the green to make myself a custom turquoise, but if I can't get it to behave well I don't see the point.

I have yet to try it in my TWSBI or my Lamy

Thoughts anyone?

To think one can write Truth is but an illusion of words. Now BEAUTY! That's a poem of words & forms!

profile pic credit: Tashi Mannox

Great review. I kinda like this ink, looks very serene.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell