Snail Mail Letters

Fuzzy_Bear

I challenged my self 4 days ago. Write a personal letter, everyday, for a month.

Anyone else want to join? I've done 6 in 5 days.

Peace and Understanding

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• linearM

• asnailmailer

• sharonspens

Hey, there is a challenge of this nature each year in the month of February. You'll see it mentioned here in this forum soon enough. My guess is a lot of people will "join" you then. LOL

That February challenge is a good time to catch up with all of my pen pals, BTW.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Check out http://lettermo.com. There are a few people who are on the site all year, but things really get going in February. I've participated for about three years. I've met some really nice people many of whom I'm still writing to after 3 years.

Keep up the letter writing.

Still trying to catch up on holiday cards, about 20 ready to head to the post office.

Edited by linearM

If any of you would like to use "old postage stamps"on your letters, they are available "at face value." I am talking about stamps that came out five, ten, or fifteen years ago. The unused U. S. stamps are always good for mailing letters. I have a huge number of the these "old stamps" that I use for everything I mail. If you "google" something like ---- "U S postage unused stamps at face value" you should be able to locate sellers who will sell you $10.00 worth of older stamps at face value. You will have to use more than one stamp to meet the 49 cent modern rate. For example, three 10 cent stamps plus 2 five cent stamps, plus one 8 cent stamp, and one 1 cent stamp. The sellers of these older unused stamps likely will send you a variety of different value of unused stamps.

If any of you are interested in how these stamp dealers make a small profit by selling $20.00 of unused stamps for $20.00, I will explain it to you.

c. S.

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few postal project sites out there. Lettermo is one (and was started before InCoWriMo I think). There's also Postcrossing (the forum has some non-postcard postal activities), SendSomething is another one. There are forums (including mine), and blogs and facebook groups and more... places to seek correspondents and penpals (they can be hit and miss).

!

I would like to join such challenge but I find it hard to do. Who to write to? I sent out a bunch of hand-painted, hand-written cards for Christmas, and I only received one card back by snail mail - from the oldest person in the bunch. Some people did not bother to respond, some sent a generic email, some a quick message on Facebook, and some just gave me a call to say thank you. It's discouraging.

Edited by john74

Some people might not know what to say, other than thank you, and ask how you are. Some of the InCoWriMo and LetterMo plus intro letters via penpalling sites have been like that, not saying much or it is all about them. However, not all are like that - it may take a while to find people you can "click" with or establish some sort of correspondence you both enjoy, with or without that click. Letters should make conversations.

!

I have quite a few pen pals, most have come from one or two places, from FPN and Lettermo. In both cases I don't just pick a person and say,"Hey I think I'll write to this guy." Usually there is something that makes me think the person would be interesting to write to. I usually follow up on their profile to see what interests them. Usually we have some things in common but I also want to find things I know nothing about. It gives us a certain commonality and yet room to grow. I don't worry about age or gender and that makes for more interesting correspondence. I'm sending letters to Japan and Australia, Wales and France, and lots of points in between. I save the letters I receive and will soon be bundling the mail I have received in 2015 which should be about 150 letters. The one thing is you have to send to receive. It is certainly a good way to justify my fountain pen obsession...my wife sees me putting them to use. A good share of the people I write to have been friends for four or more years. I'd say the average letter is four pages long but it isn't unusual to get an eight page letter and I have received letters twelve pages long.

Like LinearM, I have a number of pen pals I've collected from FPN. Several have faded out over time, but there are at least four I've had for a couple of years now. I try to write once a month, but my time tends to ebb and flow during different parts of the year. We write about pens, business, hobbies, our own and family members' illnesses and proclivities, and (once in a blue moon) politics or religion. I'm careful about the latter two since those can be touchy subjects. I send holiday cards to all of them, and they are more likely to get a note included than most of my family members. Letters from me tend to be two sheets, front and back, regardless of the size of paper I'm using at the time.

I've also started two traveling journals, each with four other people. Those journals are like writing letters, except that I know the "letter" will be read by four other people before cycling back to me for the next round.

Letters start out a bit superficial, as to be expected. However, the longer you write the more comfortable the sharing will become.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

....*snaps*

I was just filling out my desk new calendar (a physical one made of read paper and everything), transfering birthdates (and when to post the card memos) as well as other needful reminders, and came across a notation for InCoWriMo. :huh:

I could not for the life of me remember what that was for. Thank-you. I tried it in 2015 and realized it's rather stupid easy for me to do...but only since I'm already committed to posting my new year cards at that point, to coincide with the Chinese one (I'm not Chinese but like to design a card annually that reflects the animal of the year). Not officially participating in it again, but it's a super idea for those who are casting about for letter writing challenge/goal.

The one thing is you have to send to receive.

This is VERY true. I have actually had people pick up pen and write letters after years of only emailing when I have insisted on sending them such things.

I have also noticed over the years that letters or postcards can freak people out. I have actually been asked WHY I am sending them, in such a manner that I felt it was invading their privacy. Those people, whom are friends, I've struck off my 'write to' list. They could not handle a random hello via a piece of paper. If it was a one off...I'd just shrug it off. But several individuals from around the globe.... :wacko:....??!! Anyone else have something like that happen?

So NOW, I warn people (via social media) that I just like writing letters and post cards. If they recieve one from me they are under no obligation to respond in kind....just know that I was thinking of them. It's that simple.

When people choose to write me they often apologize that they don't know what to write about, and I reassure them that ....it's as simple as leaning over the fence and chatting with a neighbour. Be conversational. There are no rules...just start talking on paper and see where it takes you. :)

Good luck Fuzzy_Bear with your month challenge!

Edited by Pira

Looks like I'm on schedule. Have 3 to mail out today. One that I've mailed will come back. Forgot the @$%+$# stamp.

What I never realized, possibly part of the reason physical letters have gone away, is the cost. 49¢ per letter, USPS.

Peace and Understanding

Oh. The other thing. In doing this to people I already know, including two FPN'rd ego were kind to me at a low point. So, my list is short of the number of people.

Part of this is also a Christmas present for my parents. Turns out my parents, blessed they are still here, say they understand me better because of just the two letters they've received so far.

Seems something they've said is true. Handwritten letters can say more and you also get a better understanding of yourself.

Writing has become introspective and retrospective for me at this point.

Peace and Understanding

I agree ~ because letters force you to think. With no delete or undo button you are forced to compose your thoughts before throwing them down on paper.

Writing letters has a tremdous amount of upside. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a similar situation. Although my mother-in-law and my wife's aunt both respond via post. My mother responds via email (although she is in California, and sometimes even I can't wait for the email response). But although I don't have the time to commit to that many letters, I find the opportunity to write 2-4 times a week. The postal worker (no, he's nice) probably thinks I'm crazy sending letters two towns over, but I think he gets it. If only to keep his union job safe....

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the thread called InCoWriMo. I've gained two folks so far to write to, and time will tell if it continues beyond February.

If you get pen pals here at FPN, most letters start by telling about your pens and ink. It's a good way to see new inks in use. I look at a person's profile here to see if any common interests are there. One mentioned some jazz music I like.

I think 49¢ is cheap. What else can you get for 49¢? My letters travel over 1000 miles for that price. I'm in the middle of the U.S. and send letters to NY and California. For $1.20 I send letters to England and Australia.

I send out more Christmas cards than I receive. I take the attitude of Scrooge's nephew Fred. You send the cards to let someone know you are thinking of them. Sometimes you get one back, and sometimes you don't. But you keep trying if you can afford to.

Posted Image