Professional Looking Journal Or Notebook

jm722

I've been reading through every thread I could find, but most are fairly old and it seems that papers change over time (i.e. Quo Vadis Habana changing from white to ivory). I am looking for options (journal cover, notebook, etc.) with these features:

-refillable

-leather

-approximately 4x6 to 5x7

-professional looking (browns, tan, museum calf)

-lays flat

-takes good paper refills or fits well reviewed notebooks (Habana, rhodia, clairfontaine, etc.)

I don't really have a particular budget in mind, I guess under $200. I'd prefer good quality over budget choices since I'll be using it daily.

I will be using MB Permanent Blue on it, if that matters.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jm722

• Cushy Butterfield

• my63

• da vinci

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298679-tomoe-river-journals-and-more/?p=3523474

Have a look at this thread I know they are not refillable but they are so far under your budget you could by multiple books.

If it is a notebook cover you are looking for then there are lots of leather workers who could make you a notebook cover including myself sorry for the self promotion but it is Christmas after all.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Don't apologize for the plug, I looked at your blog and you've got some wonderful stuff. The bridle document case is particularly beautiful.

My guess is that I'll go with a journal cover, because Tomoe River paper is so great and it's nice to switch out journals with a really nice cover always ready to be swapped.

Btw, I'm hoping for a cover that is a similar color to my bridle leather briefcase http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/17/a6c3eea66719e56b67ca2daf02c3a8c3.jpg

I've got the Herz leather cover Nanami sell for one of my Seven Seas in caramel and I think it's lovely. Perfect fit, very tactile, beautiful and well made. 'Nuff said!

Edit: it doesn't have a fastener but their broad elastic bands (a delight in themselves) pack include the right size to use with the journal and cover and actually add to the retro charm.

Edited by Cushy Butterfield

I've got the Herz leather cover Nanami sell for one of my Seven Seas in caramel and I think it's lovely. Perfect fit, very tactile, beautiful and well made. 'Nuff said!

Edit: it doesn't have a fastener but their broad elastic bands (a delight in themselves) pack include the right size to use with the journal and cover and actually add to the retro charm.[/quote

That was one of my leading choices so far. I'm definitely buying a journal from there when they restock regardless, I like the paper a lot.

If it is English bridle leather you are looking for then these are one of the best manufacturers left in the UK

http://www.je-sedgwick.co.uk/category/leather-colours/

The colour of your case may be quite difficult to match as the colour darkens with age light Havana looks pretty close.

I recognise the hardware (buckles etc) on your case but not the style around the handle.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I have a passion for Oberon journals and portfolios. Jenni Bick has Oberons: http://www.jennibick.com/collections/refillable-journals-and-covers

You can also order directly from Oberon's web page: http://www.oberondesign.com though they are on holiday break until January 11, 2016.

I've ordered from both sites, and have been pleased with the quality and durability of the pieces. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

After searching around I think I'll have a hard time matching my briefcase, which is fine as this will likely be a desk journal for work and meetings. I've found two that really intrigue me thus far:

1. Thomas Lyte Bridle Leather (http://www.thomaslyte.com/a5-removable-cover-journal-polished-bridle-leather-tan) - it just looks nice and bridle leather.

2. Horween Oxblood CXL (https://www.etsy.com/listing/214640667/moleskine-leather-cover-004-horween?ref=shop_home_active_3) - I would get their A5 size, but this link has the color. Horween CXL leather is beautiful, especially as it ages. I have some other CXL shoes and leather goods and they're fantastic. It would be about $70

3. Hermann Oak Natural Saddle (https://www.etsy.com/listing/202381112/leather-moleskine-cover-large-handcut) - i'd probably ask for the fastener to be removed. Hermann Oak is great bridle leather and this is a similar color to my briefcase (not sure how much I care anymore)

Essentially a nice CXL, or tan/chestnut bridle leather.

As for Oberon, I have felt their stuff and it's really nice; but most are too intricate for what I want. It'll likely be a home writer for me, but I'm focused on something more business oriented to sit on my desk while I work.

Must say the Thomas Lyte one looks rather nice. Does anyone have one and can comment on how closely it fits the Seven Seas? One of the attractions of the Herz one for me was that it fits the Seven Seas like a glove. If the Lyte one does the same, may well take advantage of the sale myself. Rather fancy the black croc one.

Must say the Thomas Lyte one looks rather nice. Does anyone have one and can comment on how closely it fits the Seven Seas? One of the attractions of the Herz one for me was that it fits the Seven Seas like a glove. If the Lyte one does the same, may well take advantage of the sale myself. Rather fancy the black croc one.

How is the drying time on the Seven Seas. From what I've read, there seems to be a difference in drying time for certain notebooks that use Tomoe River paper.

I'm looking for fast drying because I'm going to use it for notes and billables backup

How is the drying time on the Seven Seas. From what I've read, there seems to be a difference in drying time for certain notebooks that use Tomoe River paper.

I'm looking for fast drying because I'm going to use it for notes and billables backup

I've not found any problems with drying time but then I was brought up using blotting paper so use it automatically both under what I'm writing to keep the page clean and to leave between one sheet and the next when I turn the page or close the book.

Contacted Thomas Lyte to check measurements and they couldn't confirm whether their cover would fit Seven Seas as they said they had no notebook with the same measurements to check. They did say they would refund if I found it didn't fit but not sure if I want to go through that hassle. Especially as I don't actually need another cover. Then again, that patent leather one is a thing of beauty! Shall I? Shan't I? Decisions, decisions.

Oberon makes refillable journal covers in leather, and of varying sizes from small to quite large. I have several, and in all sizes and several different designs and colors. They're beautiful and well made, but I don't know if they're "professional" enough for you, since they're all embossed with designs. I don't think I've ever seen a plain cover by them....

http://www.oberondesign.com/collections/journals-notebooks-portfolios

"In the end, only kindness matters."

• 5 years later...

JOURNAL:

Essentially, a journal is a notebook with a goal in mind. ... The most common journals are simple daily reflections, like diary entries that you write at the end of each day.
NOTEBOOK:

notebook (also known as a notepadwriting paddrawing pad, or legal pad) is a book or stack of paper pages that are often ruled and used for purposes such as recording notes or memoranda, other writing, drawing or scrapbooking.

The Atelier NEORAH A5 CLASSIC NOTEBOOK has

• Premium Leatherette
  • Spill-Resistant
  • 208 pages / 104 sheets
  • Rounded Corners 
  • Label Stickers
  • Signature Elastic Band
  • Expandable Back Pocket

Chic Sparrow is my ride or die brand. They have 4 elastic bands, a pen loop, pockets, and a stitched border if you get a deluxe style. You can get a “classic” (just the bands and an elastic closure) but you can add on stitching and a pen loop for an extra cost. They have pocket size covers that will fit field notes and moleskine size books.

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 8:17 AM, Karmachanic said:

Stalogy A5, plain leather cover.

I just started using a stalogy notebook and I got to say I needed that in my life much earlier.  This is the answer OP. 

Edited by Mister K
Spelling, incomplete though