Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus Ink - Grün (Green)

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner is one of my favourite Ink makers. They offer nice and reasonably priced (especially in Europe) standard inks as well as two gall inks (Salix and Scabiosa). It seems the company is a little underrated among fountain pens aficionados. I believe their products should receive more attention.

Few months ago the company’s introduced a line of six Dokumentus Inks sold in 50 ml glass bottle. Dokumentus ink is the world's first fountain pen ink that conforms to the requirements of DIN ISO 12757-2 (the standard that determines archival quality). Rohrer and Klingner Dokumetus inks has been certified for use by registrars on official documents, they’re ph-neutral, permanent and archival.

Some criteria of this certification require color to remain readable after a defined dose of sunlight and under the influence of water the ink may only extend so far that the text line remain visible. ISO 12757-2 requires legibility and the ability to be stored for long periods of time. These inks should show resistance to water, light, ethanol, hydrochloric acid, ammonia, and bleach. I’ve tried only water. Test was positive. Water won’t do any harm to the text written with one of Dokumentus inks.

fpn_1450711579__rk_dink.jpg

The line consists of six colors:

1. Braun (Brown)
  2. Dunkel Blau (Dark Blue)
  3. Grün (Green)
  4. Hellblau (Light Blue)
  5. Magenta
  6. Schwarz (Black)

fpn_1450890991__grun_rk_1.jpg

I strongly dislike the color of this green ink. It behaves well though and if you need green bombproof ink it may be the one.

fpn_1450890794__grun_rk_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1450890649__grun_rk_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1450890826__grun_rk_leuchtturm_3.jpg

fpn_1450890845__grun_rk_leuchtturm_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Sport Classic, broad nib

fpn_1450890903__grun_rk_leuchtturm_5.jpg

fpn_1450890945__grun_rk_tomoe_4.jpg

fpn_1450890965__grun_rk_tomoe_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Sport Classic, broad nib

fpn_1450890864__grun_rk_leuchtturm_1.jpg

fpn_1450890884__grun_rk_leuchtturm_2.jpg

fpn_1450890903__grun_rk_leuchtturm_5.jpg

Oxford notebook, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

Water resistance

(white balance is slightly off - artificial light, shot taken 5 hours after putting this page into water)

fpn_1450711596__rk_dink_2.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• visvamitra

• stephanos

• DrDebG

Excellent review! I love my Rohrer & Klingner inks. I have most of them (except the IG inks). Regarding the Dokumentus inks, did you notice any adverse effects to your pens?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for the review.

I'll pass on this one, though -- not a green I like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@DrPenfection - well, actually I use only brown. It behaves well. The other inks were in pen short time, just to make the review. So far Brown behaves well. But it's not standard ink so once we use them some care should be taken.

Thanks, Vis! I will check into them more carefully. I do need a nice brown.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks Vis! I love bright and cheerful greens. I'm iffy on this color, is it because it is too blue? I may get it just to try it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for (yet another) excellent, brief introduction/review. I'm looking at this line of inks now, and your reviews are useful in helping me decide.

• 11 months later...

It's actually the perfect green if you're looking to match a TWSBI Diamond 580 in Green or a Leuchtturm 1917 in Emerald:

http://www.scriptorius.net/TWSBI_Green.jpg

http://www.scriptorius.net/My_Emerald_Journal.jpg

It's actually the perfect green if you're looking to match a TWSBI Diamond 580 in Green or a Leuchtturm 1917 in Emerald:

http://www.scriptorius.net/TWSBI_Green.jpg

i wonder if ink will stain this pen...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I don't have experience with the green, but I have used both the brown and (dark) blue versions. Excellent inks. Of the two, I prefer the brown, which is not a million miles from R&K's sepia or J.Herbin's Cacao de Brésil in tone.

BUT

I have found that the ink leaves a residue in the pen, in the three different pens I have used these inks. The presence makes cleaning the pen both a little more work and (in my opinion) more necessary.

Having said that, though, the inks behave very well and are a pleasure to use.

I cannot remember which ink I used in which of my TSWBIs, but whatever combination it was, the ink did not stain it.

I'm always perplexed when people (or companies) call an aqua, teal or turquoise "green." As Amberlea said, it's too blue. I'll add that it's not dark enough to make a statement, so I join the others with a tepid response to the color.

Green is a tough color, maybe because it's so dominant in nature. I'm most drawn to botanical greens and olives, that are soothing and closer to tones found in nature. The vivid or neon greens are (to my eye) jarring, but once they wander into the turquoise/aqua/teal category, they evoke water and many of these I find have a cheerful and sometimes tropical feeling to them. Not the most practical color to use day-to-day, but nice to see in a review on FPN.

Thanks, as always, for your superb review of this ink.

James

I don't have experience with the green, but I have used both the brown and (dark) blue versions. Excellent inks. Of the two, I prefer the brown, which is not a million miles from R&K's sepia or J.Herbin's Cacao de Brésil in tone.

BUT

I have found that the ink leaves a residue in the pen, in the three different pens I have used these inks. The presence makes cleaning the pen both a little more work and (in my opinion) more necessary.

Having said that, though, the inks behave very well and are a pleasure to use.

I cannot remember which ink I used in which of my TSWBIs, but whatever combination it was, the ink did not stain it.

Haven't tried the brown; wasn't all that enamored of Dunkelblau, but I'm quite fond of Hellblau (the light blue). I have a sample of Documentus Magenta, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the review. This looks a bit like the other German (Lamy/Pelikan) green inks - too light for me.

• 2 months later...

Yes, it is a light green so I use it for annotating my notebooks where the main text is written using Pilot Blue-Black.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

• 5 months later...

I guess I'm the weirdo, because I like these cooler greens.

I received this ink as lagniappe from...somewhere, and put it to immediate use for my recipe index cards, where liquid resistance is vital. It turned out to be a splendid choice, because there's zero squinting to read this one from the card two feet away in a hectic kitchen, that's for sure!