580 Al Flow Issues

proton007

I've read several posts here, and in most cases the solution is sending the pen back to TWSBI.

This 580 AL I have is about a year old, and I've used it almost continuously, but now the flow problems are starting to annoy me.

Firstly, when I fill the pen, the flow is too wet..the ink almost drips.

Then, the flow gradually starts to reduce...until it's writing close to dry.

Yes, if I turn the knob the flow increases again, but then after a page or so it's back to dry.

I've made sure the feed channels are wide and clear, the nib has adequate gap between the tines, and the pen is clean.

Looks like there just isn't enough air going into the pen, the vacuum at the back is too strong and preventing the ink from flowing out.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem before I decide to do get this pen repaired?

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• proton007

• mmg122

• DonLeone

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this happen with all inks? IOW, could it be an ink problem?

All inks I've tried so far have had the same problem.

It starts if I leave it for a while, but once I'm back writing, the flow starts dropping again.

EDIT: My recent adjustment increased the overall flow, but also reduced the time in which the pen dries out. Now it goes out of ink completely, and has to be left alone for a while for the ink to start flowing again.

The amount of writing time I get after that seems proportionate to the time I leave the pen alone.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

My 580ALs work perfectly. It sounds like a problem with the feed. If it were me, I'd figure out how to take apart the nib unit and investigate the feed up close.

I had a similar problem with a Manuscript Italic pen that was an impulse buy. It had massive flow issues, dried out super fast, etc. Everything you describe. When I opened it up it turned out that there was some piece of plastic in there clogging the feed. No amount of cleaning would have flushed that out.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

My 580ALs work perfectly. It sounds like a problem with the feed. If it were me, I'd figure out how to take apart the nib unit and investigate the feed up close.

This seems was the issue. I've tried to clean the feed earlier, but never focused on making sure the channels are clear. I did see small plastic particles clogging the feed when held against a light source.

After an attempt at removing them, or rather pressing them down because I don't have anything as thin to run through the feed, looks like the problem has subsided.

Thanks Don Zardeone, I will update the thread again after some writing.

Edited by proton007

- Alan Watts

Update:

So it looks like the trick with the feed has done it's job. The flow goes down, but then there's a sudden gush of ink and the pen continues to run until the next time this happens.

Looks like the feed may need some more adjustment, but before I destroy the feed by fiddling with it too much I've ordered a new jowo nib/feed unit.

- Alan Watts