• Left FPN

• RMN

• Wandering Man

• sztainbok

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warning! :excl: Don't use Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning

Nope,

Wow :yikes: ! I had not known that wiping a little isopropyl alcohol on plexiglass or acrylic would do that.

I currently have an acrylic, temporary filling on top of a molar. Good thing I don't drink alcohol, although will ethyl alcohol do that too or does only isopropyl alcohol have that effect?

I will certainly keep this lesson in mind from now on. Thanks to both of you for posting.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Same goes for Acetone.

Do not use it on your pens

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

anyone an idea if these would fit a Waterman Carene? They feel more solid than the cartridge that comes with the carene

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pelikan-converter-p-1155.html

While it states they fit other fountain pens that use standard international cartridges, unless it actually states they fit Waterman fountain pens from 1980+ I would pass them by.

I made it home this weekend, so I could try it ou if a standard converter fits a Waterman Carene

Link to standard convertor: https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pelikan-converter-p-1155.html

The connection to the section seems to be compatible. But such standard converter is slightly longer, and the diameter of turning part is wider => result: it does not fit.

Probably one could re-use the turning part of a waterman converter on a regular converter (there is no wear and tear on that part). But I will only try that once my waterman converter starts leaking.

Edited by Krulle

anyone an idea if these would fit a Waterman Carene? They feel more solid than the cartridge that comes with the carene

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pelikan-converter-p-1155.html

Can't see pictures: Error 404 not found

I recommend you copy then paste your links using the small single chain link box on the full editor, and ensure the "s" of "https" is no longer there. Then we can see them.

SOME (not all types) Waterman pens have a ring inside the barrel. That ring makes that some SI cartridges will not fit properly. There seems to be a slight difference in the base diameter of SI carts. It's probably only a matter of tenths of millimetres. The base on the long Waterman carts is slightly narrower and just slides inside the ring, and makes sure the long cart doesn't wobble.

Apparently the standard Schmidt converters also suffer from this, the screwgrip will be slightly fatter.

What one could try is take out the turning knob of the Schmidt and replace it with the Waterman knob.

But I don't know if that will fit as the newer Waterman converters are not similar to Schmidt (the previous Waterman converters were almost identical)

I can't test that as all my converters are still somewhere in a box from moving house.

D.ick

~

~

• 4 weeks later...

My sister has our mother's watermans fountain pen dating to the 1950s. I remember my mother giving up on it because the style of cartridge was no longer available. What does a person do who wants to use this fine old pen?

Coastie_Ed

My sister has our mother's watermans fountain pen dating to the 1950s. I remember my mother giving up on it because the style of cartridge was no longer available. What does a person do who wants to use this fine old pen?

Coastie_Ed

Welcome to FPN.

We would need a picture of the pen so I am guessing it is a C/F model.

The converters are no longer in production but they are still available from some sources. Search ebay or Google 'Waterman CF C/F converter'. They are not cheap.

As an alternative you could buy CF cartridges, which are more readily available, and fill them with bottled ink using a syringe.

• 2 months later...

This is a most interesting and informative thread.

What I am finding corroborates what I personaly have always felt, that with some exceptions fountain pens should have their own filling mechanisms, not external attachments.

Cartridges are convenient of course and I use them myself in cartridge pens, but these are not true fountain pens as they have no 'fountain' -- rather a portable reservoir.

Though the idea of a converter is clever in principle, converters have rarely worked for me. Most of my so-called cartridge-converter pens never respond to converters for any number of reasons -- bad fit, seals loose or easily damaged, ink flow inhibited because the ink sticks to the plastic walls of the converter, connections loose or badly made, inside 'nipples' corroded over time, etc. Ink is abrasive and damages plastic, given time to do so. Resorting to cartridges improves performance in my pens, assuming cartridges are made to fit the pen.

The old (original) Parker 45 has worked with converter, as it was made for that purpose. But both my Sonnets work best with Parker cartridges -- I fill them by syringe with my preferred ink.

Besides, converters (when they do work) rarely hold as much ink as the 'long' or big cartridges from Aurora, Waterman, and Parker.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I too have about two or three dozen spare converters culled over the years from various converter pens -- most sit in my pen box waiting for the pen cemetery.

Many thanks to the posters whose knowledge and research has fuelled this thread.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

• 2 weeks later...

Waterman 88 cartridges.

It is yet a mystery to me for which pens these were intended.

Pictures courtesy Mark Hoover.

fpn_1451403682__waterman_88_carts_1.jpg

fpn_1451403744__waterman_88_carts_2.jpg

Hi, all together.

Lately, but hopefully not too late I'm able to answer this question. :)

These cartridges fit my NOS MAN previous version perfectly https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/181370-waterman-old-gentleman-and-old-man/ (the left one).

Regards, Thomas

Hi, all together.

Lately, but hopefully not too late I'm able to answer this question. :)

These cartridges fit my NOS MAN previous version perfectly https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/181370-waterman-old-gentleman-and-old-man/ (the left one).

Regards, Thomas

Thanks, I added a remark to that post.

D.ick

~

~

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Waterman brochures refer to them as screw converters because the piston mechanism screws in and out.

The unit does not screw into the section.

attachicon.gif DSCN0189.JPG

I have three Laureats from the 1990's and one modern Carene which all use the current version of Waterman's converter with no problem.

Today I received a Waterman Executive from the 1980's with two screw-in type converters (similar to the one shown in the middle of Force's picture).

Will this pen accept the new Waterman converters should I break both? And will the newer watermans accept the screw-in converter without a problem should I forget and try to stick it into one of them?

Edited by Wandering Man

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

I have three Laureats from the 1990's and one modern Carene which all use the current version of Waterman's converter with no problem.

Today I received a Waterman Executive from the 1980's with two screw-in type converters (similar to the one shown in the middle of Force's picture).

Will this pen accept the new Waterman converters should I break both? And will the newer watermans accept the screw-in converter without a problem should I forget and try to stick it into one of them?

Note that that middle converter is NOT a screw-in converter. The rings on the mouth piece are decoration only. The converter is push-fit. The piston however moves with screw-action.

As far as we know they are exchangeable with the current converters. You can try for yourself, as you have the current ones for your Laureats and Carène.

D.ick

~

~

Note that that middle converter is NOT a screw-in converter. The rings on the mouth piece are decoration only. The converter is push-fit. The piston however moves with screw-action.

As far as we know they are exchangeable with the current converters. You can try for yourself, as you have the current ones for your Laureats and Carène.

D.ick

Thanks. I tried screwing it into the Executive, and it did not really feel like I was screwing anything. It worried me that I might be stripping plastic threads in the pen. I was able to run a thumbnail along the grooves and found that the threads pulled my thumb closer to the end.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Thanks. I tried screwing it into the Executive, and it did not really feel like I was screwing anything. It worried me that I might be stripping plastic threads in the pen. I was able to run a thumbnail along the grooves and found that the threads pulled my thumb closer to the end.

I have amended my post #2 to clarify this point.

Waterman terming it a screw converter does not help the matter.