Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus Ink - Braun

visvamitra

I love R&K inks. I picked up a few bottles while in Germany before they were widely available in the US. I'd like to try some of these.

I see that they are available from Anderson Pens here in the US - anywhere else?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThomBerg

• Bill P

• inkstainedruth

• nibtip

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love R&K inks. I picked up a few bottles while in Germany before they were widely available in the US. I'd like to try some of these.

I see that they are available from Anderson Pens here in the US - anywhere else?

Goulet Pens has the regular inks, but not the Documentus line. Vanness has them as well (including carrying the Documentus line); some of the other pen & ink online retailers might, (but I mostly haven't shopped at them so I can't say for sure).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

How does this colour compare with R&K's sepia? On my screen, they look quite similar.

Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. I'm in love with R&K Sepia, but don't know if I should jump to buy this one.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. I'm in love with R&K Sepia, but don't know if I should jump to buy this one.

It's been a while. Can anyone give a little comparison of RK Sepia and Dokument Braun? If they're similar than I'm sold.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Sepia is darker and more reddish brown, the dokumentus braun is more greenish brass colored. Btw, the Sepia is rather resistant against water and light as well.

post-122632-0-70484200-1543574355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andreas Weber

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

Here are two pictures of Documentus brown and sketching Lilly.

Samples were done on Midori MD 10th anniversary notebook.

The two inks seem to have the exact same color.

post-135914-0-59621000-1543575028_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-87735000-1543575097_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Andreas! That helps a lot. R&K Sepia is my go-to sepia for use in vintage pens due to its good water resistance and easy clean up, but I was always hoping for a similar shade that was 100% waterproof to put in modern pens.

Sepia is darker and more reddish brown, the dokumentus braun is more greenish brass colored. Btw, the Sepia is rather resistant against water and light as well.

Thanks, inking! You aren't kidding...those look exactly the same! I guess that's good to know for those living in places where the Sketch inks are more readily available than the Document inks.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 3 weeks later...

Do the two inks - Dokumentus Brown and SketchInk Lily - also behave the same? Flow, showthrough, feathering, lubrication, etc.

Do the two inks - Dokumentus Brown and SketchInk Lily - also behave the same? Flow, showthrough, feathering, lubrication, etc.

In my experience yes to all your questions. Good lubrication no feathering etc...

But i don't know for lightfastness waterproofness that sort of thing that i don't care much for.

• 5 months later...

A bit of a revival of an old thread, but I'd like to comment that Lilly (at least I think it's Lilly - it's one of the brown greens) is also exactly the same as the Super5 green.

A bit of a revival of an old thread, but I'd like to comment that Lilly (at least I think it's Lilly - it's one of the brown greens) is also exactly the same as the Super5 green.

Super 5 inks are made by R+K.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive this oldie but goodie thread.

I had this a sample vial of this ink for a long time, and I just tried sketching with it.

spacer.png

I love the grayish brown (sometimes green-ish) hue of this ink. The washes is applied using a waterbrush.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

On 11/30/2018 at 5:53 PM, nibtip said:

post-135914-0-59621000-1543575028_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-87735000-1543575097_thumb.jpg

Thank you for this comparison - it's exactly what I was looking for.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

4 hours ago, penwash said:

I had this a sample vial of this ink for a long time, and I just tried sketching with it.

spacer.png

I love the grayish brown (sometimes green-ish) hue of this ink. The washes is applied using a waterbrush.

Oh, I love this sketch (as well as the super cool pen)!

Also, thank you for bringing this thread back up to the top. Somehow this interesting ink wasn't on my radar screen previously.

7 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Oh, I love this sketch (as well as the super cool pen)!

Also, thank you for bringing this thread back up to the top. Somehow this interesting ink wasn't on my radar screen previously.

You're welcome. Sketching adds another dimension for me to enjoy fountain pen inks (and vintage pens).

This ink reminds me of Kyo-Iro 01 "Gion's Cobblestone" but less dry.

I like both.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

6 minutes ago, penwash said:

This ink reminds me of Kyo-Iro 01 "Gion's Cobblestone" but less dry.

I like both.

I've been using that Kyo-iro ink a lot lately. I added a teeny bit of surfactant and it writes wonderfully now.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:47 AM, penwash said:

spacer.png

Wonderful 🤗