Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus Ink - Braun

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner is one of my favourite Ink makers. They offer nice and reasonably priced (especially in Europe) standard inks as well as two gall inks (Salix and Scabiosa). It seems the company is a little underrated among fountain pens aficionados. I believe their products should receive more attention.

Few months ago the company’s introduced a line of six Dokumentus Inks sold in 50 ml glass bottle. Dokumentus ink is the world's first fountain pen ink that conforms to the requirements of DIN ISO 12757-2 (the standard that determines archival quality). Rohrer and Klingner Dokumetus inks has been certified for use by registrars on official documents, they’re ph-neutral, permanent and archival.

Some criteria of this certification require color to remain readable after a defined dose of sunlight and under the influence of water the ink may only extend so far that the text line remain visible. ISO 12757-2 requires legibility and the ability to be stored for long periods of time. These inks should show resistance to water, light, ethanol, hydrochloric acid, ammonia, and bleach. I’ve tried only water. Test was positive. Water won’t do any harm to the text written with one of Dokumentus inks.

fpn_1450711579__rk_dink.jpg

The line consists of six colors:

1. Braun (Brown)
  2. Dunkel Blau (Dark Blue)
  3. Grun (Green)
  4. Hellblau (Light Blue)
  5. Magenta
  6. Schwarz (Black)

fpn_1450712140__braun_rk_1.jpg

Braun is the best ink of the pack. Not only it has all archival ink properties, it also has stunning colors. That's precisely the kind of brown I enjoy most.

fpn_1450711739__braun_rk_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1450712110__braun_rk_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1450712049__braun_rk_leuchtturm_3.jp

fpn_1450712049__braun_rk_leuchtturm_3.jp

Tomoe River, Kaweco Sport Classic, broad nib

fpn_1450711857__braun_rk_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1450711876__braun_rk_tomoe_2.jpg

fpn_1450711901__braun_rk_tomoe_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Sport Classic, broad nib

fpn_1450711919__braun_rk_leuchtturm_1.jp

fpn_1450711981__braun_rk_leuchtturm_2.jp

fpn_1450712002__braun_rk_leuchtturm_5.jp

Oxford notebook, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

fpn_1450712020__braun_rk_oz.jpg

Water resistance

(white balance is slightly off - artificial light, shot taken 5 hours after putting this page into water)

fpn_1450711596__rk_dink_2.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThomBerg

• Bill P

• inkstainedruth

• nibtip

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. I like the water resistance. But I'm not sure I care for the color. This one I'd have to try a sample and decide.

Do you know how the R&K document inks compare to the De Atramentis ones? I've tried a few of those and they didn't wow me because there is a lot of spread (and the Document Red is a simply *awful* color).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

¡Caramba! I always enjoy your reviews, and this one is no exception. I agree R&K is underrated (Alt Goldgrün is a big favorite); I've found prices to be reasonable here in the U.S. as well. This news about 'Dokumentus' is particularly welcome and must be to others here who have inquired about archival inks.

The brown is a soothing color I call 'Elephant Gray' - I have no idea why, although it makes sense to me. Nice - must have.

James

Yes, I will get a bottle.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

In my opinion R&K inks are much better than DA Document inks. DA Document inks tend to feather on almost every single paper. R&K inks have no such issues.

I can second this. I have tried samples of many DA inks because I was attracted to the color,only to find atrocious feathering issues on every paper.

Edited by J85909266

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Yes, I will get a bottle.

Uh, I will if someone will tell us where we can buy them in the US and elsewhere.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Thank you for the review. But none of the colours in this line appeals to me at all.

I'm so glad you spoke up; I was just about to mail you your Christmas present.

James

I agree with you visvamitra, R&K make wonderful inks and have a few must have colours.

I think this brown is a must have for me. Thanks again. :)

Thank you for taking the time to review this ink, Vis! This is a nice brown, but it is a bit too grey for me.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you for the review. But none of the colours in this line appeals to me at all.

We share the same ink tastes. This ink reminds me of coffee unfit for consumption.

Vis, thanks for another great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review, looking very interesting. I love R&K Scabiosa, but it is not fully waterproof. This seems to solve that issue.

Anyone tried it for sketching and washing over with watercolors?

Interesting comments by inkstainedtruth, visvamitra and J85905266, prefering it to De Atramentis Document inks. I have been using DA Document Brown for sketching for some time without any problems, in fact, it has been great for me (although I used it always on quality watercolor paper where bleeding was never an issue).

If the majority claims that R&K is better, maybe I should give it a try?