New Addition; M400 White Tortoiseshell

OrangeSport

So I've had my latest addition about a week now. It's a white tortoiseshell M400 with a board nib.

post-123739-0-83585300-1450557478.jpg

I usually use fine nibs, so was intrigued to see how this was to use. It's ever so smooth, and flows really reliably. I was using Montblanc blue ink originally, but have just filled it with an orange ink by Cult Oens.

It's a stunning looking pen; very eye catching. So far so good. I'm really impressed.

Edited by OrangeSport

Parker / Montblanc / Pelikan / Lamy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• masterguns

• Manalto

• OrangeSport

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations! The white tortoise is one of the most beautiful Pelikans, in my opinion.

I find that R&K Alt-Goldgrün is a perfect match for this pen.

Enjoy your new pen.

Beautiful pen. I love the coloring of the white tortoise. I second the recommendation for Alt-Goldgrun. A perfect pairing.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I love the white tortoises, and put Noodler's Burma Road Brown in mine. Don't let the name fool you--it's really an olive sort of green.

Mine's got Herbin Ambre de Birmanie in it :-)

I love this tortoise as to my mind it has the quality of the vintage binde - it's not pinstriped, but has little flecks and shimmers of different colours within the stripes. Still looking for its big brother the m600 white tortie, but they are difficult to catch; I had my nets laid for one recently, but it escaped...

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I just clicked on this thread, hoping there was a photo, to get a convenient glance at this beautiful pen. Congratulations on your new acquisition. I don't subscribe to the match-the-ink-to-the-pen approach, so any good ink will be a joy to use.

James

The white and tortoise is such a beautiful combination. How does the white plastic do if dipped in ink while filling? Will it stain?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The white and tortoise is such a beautiful combination. How does the white plastic do if dipped in ink while filling? Will it stain?

I've never experienced any staining or the like on mine. I do practice pretty good pen hygiene, though, by thoroughly wiping the section and feed after a fill.

The white hasn't stained on my pen when it has dipped into the ink. However, I'm not using Noodler's bulletproof or any other kind of permanent ink, so I can't speak for those inks.

I have one, and it wasn't cheap (alas) and I love it. I don't use it enough though. It is the prettiest pen I own. Mine has a broad nib, as well. Smooth.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

beautiful pen

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

It's such a beautiful pen but too small, I suspect, for my hand. How does it compare in size to the Souveran M800?

ETA: Never mind - I found a highly-detailed answer at good ol' Goulet Pens:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2012/02/pelikan-m600-white-tortoise.html

Yeah, it really is stunning, but its pretty much too small for my taste. I can certainly write well with it, but I much prefer the M800/1000 sizes. I rarely use mine, but I can't seem to bring myself to sell or trade it. I also have a red stripe M400 that sits right next to the white tortoise in my pen box. I bought both for their colors. I have been seriously contemplating selling both of my M400s in order to fund another pen, but haven't done anything about it yet.

I use the following inks exclusively in my Pelikan M400 Tortoise White:

Kobe #21 Shinkaichi Gold
Iroshizuku Ina-ho
Diamine Wagner
Bungbox Green Tea 88

Soon to add Alt-Goldgrun to the rotation!

Glad you're enjoying the pen!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

• 7 months later...