New Here & Looking For A New Pen.. I'd Love Some Opinions!

7heDaniel

Hey guys. I have been given money from my father to purchase a pen for my 18th birthday last September; I have a budget of £500 (but I want to save some money so that I can purchase a few inks along with the pen).

I have narrowed it down to two pens:

• Montegrappa Nerouno Linea - Rose Gold
  • Omas Milord

I am fond of the black/gold look; I have a watch and ring that are these colours, and I like how my EDC items all complement each other.

I love the design of both the Montegrappa and the Omas. One is more exciting, while the other is more conservative. I like that on both pens. With the Montegrappa, however, I don't know how I feel about the 1912 or the aesthetics of the nib. But I love everything else about the pen, so it's making my decision so so so so so very difficult.

I am looking for a C/C pen. I know most people would be looking for a piston filling mechanism in this price range, but for some reason, as an 18th, I feel drawn towards a C/C pen.

So.. Could anyone give me some pointers on what direction I should go?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7heDaniel

• OCArt

• northstar

• PAKMAN

Hello 7heDaniel. That's a large budget. What fountain pens are you using now? I have no personal experience with either pen but I know from my own pen path that it took some exploring with modestly priced pens to learn my exact preferences. Please tell us what you have used so far?

"It's funny; in this era of email and voice mail and all those things that I did not even grow up with, a plain old paper letter takes on amazing intimacy."  Elizabeth Kostova

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

Vanness Pens - Now selling Online!

Welcome !

Give an 18-year-old £500,000 for a car, and he will buy a Lamborgini. He will kill himself by age 20.

What do you currently use for daily writing ? Let us proceed cautiously and achieve the proper fit. If this is your

FIRST fountain pen, I suggest investing £1 in a Jinhao x450. Decide what you like about it and what you do not

like about it. Then, choose your £200, £300, or £400 fountain pen.

When I was 18 years old, I didn't listen to anybody. Good luck !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome to FPN!

As others have said, it would be better to know what you've used and what your preferences in dimensions are...

I agree with Sasha Royale on the suggestion of starting with a Jinhao X450, as a reasonable starter, assuming this is your first fountain pen. If you want to spend a bit more but still be in the affordable realm, I'd suggest a Parker Urban, which does come in a black/gold color combination and should cost about £27, if my estimates are correct. The catch with the urban is it has a unique profile and is slimmer than an X450. It's still my favorite carry pen thus far (I don't have any pricey pen investments yet...)

Hope that helps! :lol:

Wow. I would love that type of budget!

I had to find a heck of an excuse to buy my first nice fountain pen (you could buy 5!)

Good luck in making your decision though, you certainly have a hard decision to make.