fountainpenlady

Just curious, have you ever fallen in love again?

Fallen in love again with a fountain pen you purchased? For some personally sound reason, you decided to remove ink, clean the pen thoroughly, sufficiently or not and retire it or sell it to someone more deserving or foolish enough to want it more than you? On the other hand, you decided to move on to another maker, brand, or leave the game of fountain pen loving? I ask this because it is what happens to me over the years. I started with Montblanc, next moved to Pelikans. Lamys, A Bexley once. Now, my collection has become yet another metamorphosis of a perfect collection for my taste. For now, perhaps temporarily satisfied.

Also ask this question because I was about to retire my Omas Ogiva Alba in orange. My extra fine point writing instrument failed to agree with Iroshizuku inks and I was using them nearly exclusively. Even though I am unable to see as blatantly the visual magic of Diamine's newest line Shimmertastic, it is my new favorite ink line nearly immediately; just tried red lustre. It works beautifully with my Omas Ogiva! I have already purchased a bottle of it and samples of several other colors. All for my Aurora borealis beauty! In love once again!

So, I want to know from you have you ever fallen in love...again? :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• The Good Captain

• Manalto

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you saying the Shimmertastic ink is showing its stuff in an XF pen? Wow - I wasn't expecting that to be true! I had Magical Forest in a fine, but it didn't really show off until i put it in a wet medium nibbed pen.

I haven't fallen back in love with a pen in the way you describe. I have, however, pulled a pen back into rotation after a draught and wondered why I hadn't used it for a long time because it felt so comfortable in the hand! Anytime I decide to let a pen go, I have given it ample opportunity to impress me; no pen has come back after such a test.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

No.

Then you are certainly missing out! It is the difference between spending money buying pens simply because you can afford them and enjoying what you already have simply picking them up again and enjoying them because you are in love again. Sadly, there are many like you who don't get it.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Are you saying the Shimmertastic ink is showing its stuff in an XF pen? Wow - I wasn't expecting that to be true! I had Magical Forest in a fine, but it didn't really show off until i put it in a wet medium nibbed pen.

I haven't fallen back in love with a pen in the way you describe. I have, however, pulled a pen back into rotation after a draught and wondered why I hadn't used it for a long time because it felt so comfortable in the hand! Anytime I decide to let a pen go, I have given it ample opportunity to impress me; no pen has come back after such a test.

Sharon in Indiana

Now, it is not to the fullest, in terms of the facets. Yet, I had put away my Ogiva because I just could not get past the seemingly extensive wet tines. I only write with extra fine nibs, so I certainly may not be getting the full advantage of the flecks. Yet, there is for me there is the return of enjoying writing with the pen once again. Having no problems with the feel of the pen, other than the experience of not finding an agreeable ink, it has become a complete pleasure doing so. Otherwise, we could simply get an advertising pen, or gel, or cheap ballpoint and be done with it. Or simply use technology and forget about fountain pens all together.

The Ogiva has become a particularly pleasurable writing experience above all the rest of my pens over the many years; including my first a Montblanc, Meisterstuk 149, several limited editions, Marcel Proust, M800 Green Demonstrator, de Medici. The aforementioned, each failed to as you say, come back and impress me.

Perhaps, a writer would say "falling in love again," it is the same as putting it back into rotation, for those less metaphorical. I guess you are the only other one besides myself who has done this before. I would imagine, others simply throw their pens away, or sell them and keep it moving. You learn something everyday. :yikes:

Sadly, there are many like you who don't get it.

It would appear, also sadly, that there are some like you who don't appreciate satire...

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It would appear, also sadly, that there are some like you who don't appreciate satire...

On the contrary, I do when it is offered. No, is not satire, it is snarky as the younger generation has defined it. Sadly, not everyone commands every element of the English language as well as they imagine. It takes imagination not everyone possesses. Yet, it seems there are those who feel brave enough to attempt the feat, in spite of their shortcomings. :lticaptd:

On the contrary, I do when it is offered. No, is not satire, it is snarky as the younger generation has defined it. Sadly, not everyone commands every element of the English language as well as they imagine. It takes imagination not everyone possesses. Yet, it seems there are those who feel brave enough to attempt the feat, in spite of their shortcomings. :lticaptd:

Your command resides within a very active imagination, and you manifest feelings of bravery,

Let's just move along, and not take ourselves so seriously.

Nice Omas by the way.

Edited by gary

Just curious, have you ever fallen in love again?

Fallen in love again with a fountain pen you purchased? For some personally sound reason, you decided to remove ink, clean the pen thoroughly, sufficiently or not and retire it or sell it to someone more deserving or foolish enough to want it more than you? On the other hand, you decided to move on to another maker, brand, or leave the game of fountain pen loving? I ask this because it is what happens to me over the years. I started with Montblanc, next moved to Pelikans. Lamys, A Bexley once. Now, my collection has become yet another metamorphosis of a perfect collection for my taste. For now, perhaps temporarily satisfied.

Also ask this question because I was about to retire my Omas Ogiva Alba in orange. My extra fine point writing instrument failed to agree with Iroshizuku inks and I was using them nearly exclusively. Even though I am unable to see as blatantly the visual magic of Diamine's newest line Shimmertastic, it is my new favorite ink line nearly immediately; just tried red lustre. It works beautifully with my Omas Ogiva! I have already purchased a bottle of it and samples of several other colors. All for my Aurora borealis beauty! In love once again!

So, I want to know from you have you ever fallen in love...again? :wub:

Yup...all the time.

With pens, with inks...I now feel that, unless a pen is just too ergonomically weird for me, then all I have to do is find its perfect ink and we're on a honeymoon again. Sometimes, you hit the perfect ink first, and then quickly realize all other inks fail in that pen (I'm talking to you, Sheaffer 440 F and Noodler's Luxury Blue!).

Other times, it takes a while.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Yup...all the time.

With pens, with inks...I now feel that, unless a pen is just too ergonomically weird for me, then all I have to do is find its perfect ink and we're on a honeymoon again. Sometimes, you hit the perfect ink first, and then quickly realize all other inks fail in that pen (I'm talking to you, Sheaffer 440 F and Noodler's Luxury Blue!).

Other times, it takes a while.

I am there. I have also been here before as I think of it. My stinky Bexley is also a favorite of mine. I tried nearly any remedy to stop the resin from having an offensive odor over the years. Yet to no avail; yet, it has sentimental value and writes wonderfully with a Goulet #6 extra fine nib. In terms of my newest re love, I continue to enjoy nearly exclusively.

In spite of the other pens inked and carried also. I have ordered and received my first batch of other colors of Shimmertastic samples and one full bottle of one of color. I have several other samples on order. All for this one pen I had given up on, nearly regret having purchased and was nearly tempted to sell to someone else. :wub:

It happens to me all the time; this is one of the benefits of having "too many" pens.

The "No" responder reminds me of the party-goer who imagines himself witty, while those who have retained a modicum of sobriety know otherwise.

Edited by Manalto

James

It happens to me all the time; this is one of the benefits of having "too many" pens.

The "No" responder reminds me of the party-goer who imagines himself witty, while those who have retained a modicum of sobriety know otherwise.

I agree. We forget we do not know each other. Our mutual enjoyment of writing instruments, inks, etc. does not arbitrarily mean we can interpret beyond what is written. Emoticons, or something besides one word whose connotation is negative would help immensely. Satire to me is when you write something, which denotes irony, or old time folly; it's funny and can not be interpreted as anything else. When done well, it promotes a lightheartedness. I tend to enjoy the smile or laughter more than Hors d'ourves. :lticaptd:

Your command resides within a very active imagination, and you manifest feelings of bravery,

Nice Omas by the way.

Thank you for a much more polite response than I was going to post. It's probably fortunate that my wife deterred me.

The Good Captain

In case you all were wondering: I just wish I'd posted the single word, 'Yes'. Would that have stopped all the flow of garbage that people seem to find it necessary to write when someone puts up a comment that they particularly don't agree with? Or understand?

I seem to recall that this forum is about fountain pens - the clue just might be in the acronym - and not about making personal comments about the posts made.

I have a shed-load of pens; as my wife and bank statements will confirm. Why aren't I allowed to make a simple and inoffensive 'joke' response to what was actually, a rather interesting point?

Dear 'fountainpenlady' - I sincerely do hope that you find enjoyment from all the other earnest responses and, just in case you have any interest in my comments at all: the answer is YES. When I met and then married my current (second) wife.

Hope that will cease this/our tedious/unnecessary diatribe.

Merry Christmas.

The Good Captain

Thank you for a much more polite response than I was going to post. It's probably fortunate that my wife deterred me.

:lticaptd: I have moved along, still awaiting the original question, which simply asks has anyone returned a pen into rotation after putting it to rest. In terms of your wife, she actually saved you. As someone who loves words and knows their power, I play with them routinely. Must not have read my avatar description. Merry Christmas!

post-35018-0-79646800-1450639244_thumb.jpg

Nice Omas by the way.

Move along, those as we say in the military stuck on stupid who are determined to stay there. Merry Christmas!

Computer glitch. Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas!

:D