Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen - Three Years Later

Edjelley

Review Redux
Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen

lamy-2000-fountain-pen-review-redux-2015
Review Paper: Rhodia No. 18 Lined Pad

Specs:

• Time Owned: 3 Years (since 12/25/2012)
  • Nib: 14k platinum-coated gold
  • Material: Makrolon and brushed stainless steel
  • Filling Mechanism: Piston with nearly invisible tail knob
  • Weight: 25 grams
  • Measurements: 5.5″ closed, 6.0″ posted
  • Ink Capactiy: ~2ml

Intro/About:

I've mentioned throughout the site that the Lamy 2000 is my favorite pen...and well, three years later it still is. The initial excitement over getting the pen has long since worn off. The purpose of these Review Reduxs is to show how a pen has held up over time, if I still enjoy it, how much use it gets, and if I've gotten my moneys worth. This is the first entry in an ongoing series, so check back regularly for more extended-use pen reviews!

Appearance:

The 2000 has held up quite well over the last three years. The brushed Makrolon body does a reasonably well job of keeping scratches at bay, but it does show some scuffs. The matte finish has smoothed out a bit, being polished by my hand after constant use. The finish is still very much matte, but if you look at a new pen and a used pen side-by-side, there's a noticeable difference. Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen Review Redux 2015-4The clip has held up well, still springy as the day I got it. I'm happy with how the 2000's appearance has aged. It shows some wear, but by no means looks thrashed. I haven't been overly gentle with the pen, so it's good to see that something used so regularly can continue to do so for several years.

Performance:

A common complaint about the Lamy 2000 is the nib. There's a very apparently sweet spot, which can be easily confused for a scratchy nib. At first, the flow was a bit weak and the sweet spot was very small. I had the pen worked on by Richard Binder at the Long Island Pen Show, the pen is PERFECT. There are plenty of folks out there who work on nibs, so if you're not happy with yours, it may be worth sending it out. The pen is easy to disassemble, making cleaning and maintenance easy. Every piece of the pen is either fitted with threads or friction-fit (feed/nib into the grip) and everything goes back into place easily. Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen Review Redux 2015-20I've greased the piston barrel with a q-tip a few times, and it's kept the knob turning smoothly with little to no effort. Worth noting, I've lost a piece of the pen during a cleaning in the past. There's a small washer that has the two "ears" that keep the cap on, this piece is small and light, so it's easily misplaced. A quick email to Lamy's repair center, and a new one was on the way for $5. The pen is easy to maintain, parts are easily obtainable, and there really hasn't been any consistent problems with it. The workhorse Lamy 2000 has really lived up to its nickname.

Usage/Opinion:

The Lamy 2000 was on of the first pen over $100 I've added to my collection. It was a huge step into the hobby, and it's never an easy purchase decision when making that jump. I was extremely excited when I got the pen, and I can honestly say that I still am. The understated and utilitarian design, solid performance, great reliability, and writing performance result in a daily-use pen that I'm still happy to pick up every time I to write. In the three years I've owned the pen, it's barely gone un-inked. I'm still as excited to use it as I was when I first got it, which I've found to be rare in my collection. The Lamy 2000 has been in production since the 1960's, and it's gone relatively unchanged. There must be quite a few people out there who feel the same way I do to warrant this, and that's a great sign.

Pros:

• Still looks great
  • Ink Capacity
  • Reliability

Cons:

• Nib needed some work
  • Some very small parts are easily lost

Does It Hold Up?

Absolutely. The Lamy 2000 is a great value for a solid, dependable workhorse fountain pen. It never gets pushed aside, and for me, it's almost always in use. Several years later, I'm still just as excited to write with it as when I opened up the package for the first time. I've since purchased an all original 1960's Lamy 2000 and a new Stainless Steel model as well. This particular 2000 was my first, and I doubt it will be my last!

For more photos of the pen, check out this link!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8281994784_555e82af5b_o.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edjelley

• TSherbs

• rajesh06

• flipper_gv

Very nice review, definitely gave you time after the honey moon to know if you really like it or not.

Although I had mine for only one year now, I share your opinion. Very nice, reliable, consistent writer. A great workhorse.

Good review; my experiences over a longer period of lighter use are quite similar. Imo the best thing you did was have the nib tuned. Mine works fine but I've had other pens that have been disappointing until someone spent some time on the nibs.

Very nice review, definitely gave you time after the honey moon to know if you really like it or not.

Although I had mine for only one year now, I share your opinion. Very nice, reliable, consistent writer. A great workhorse.

I'm definitely going to do this with a few other pens in my collection, I think it will be helpful to a lot of people. It's hard to not be excited over a new pen, and sometimes that can get in the way of a review!

Good to hear that my thoughts are shared as well.

Great redux review! It's nice to read what people think of their pens after using them for a while.

Thanks! I'm going to keep going with the series. I plan on doing the Pilot VP, Sailor Pro Gear Imperial, Nakaya Neo Standard, and probably a few beginner pens as well.

nice review

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Great review! I've owned my Lamy 2000 for a little more than three years now, and it's also still a pen I reach for daily.

Looking forward to reading your future reviews.

Enjoyed the review! Love my 2000 also as much as when I first got it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Lovely review. I think my L2K is probably my best pen - EXCEPT for any-old Jinhao installed with a JoWo #6 with very minor Micro-Meshing. (And my L2K was smoothed by Sorowka.)

Something about those steel JoWo nibs.Sorry to rattle on about it, and I'm going to stop doing it before I ger barred. But I've never had better writers. (Randal agrees!)

Best expensive pen: L2K. No doubt.

Thanks for your review - good idea to write a review after the first wow impressions have made place for real user experience. I have had mine for about the same period. It is still the pen I most enjoy using, more so than my other favorite pens: Pilot VP (bit too heavy for extended writing) and Pelikan M205 (bit too small section). From an esthetical POV, I find the Lamy an exceptionally well designed and classy object. Nib (medium) performance has improved over time: a bit scratchy at the start, it is now writing very fluently. Worth every cent: exceptional value for money - bought on Amazon.de for a good price.

What about the metallic grip section? Is it slippery?

Not at all and I'm not a fan of metal sections. This pen is just, just, oooooo :wub:

Do you write with the cap posted or not?

I prefer the cap to be posted - but my complaint with the L2K is that the cap does not post securely.

Do you write with the cap posted or not?

I prefer the cap to be posted - but my complaint with the L2K is that the cap does not post securely.

Really? I find that my L2K posts incredibly securely - far better than most. I'm not one who usually posts my pens, but I find the L2K superbly balanced whether posted or not.

Really? I find that my L2K posts incredibly securely - far better than most. I'm not one who usually posts my pens, but I find the L2K superbly balanced whether posted or not.

I agree with this. It posts really well.