Question With Caps

kmart_security

Bought these these at an antique store and they cleaned up pretty nice and though there was old ink inside the plungers still function quite well. My question is in regard with the caps. I cannot tell if they truly belong with the pen they came with or if they might have been switched.. I did some research on my own but can't find a page where it says this cap with this nib and section - blah blah blah.

So any help in ID'ing these pens with the correct cap would be nice. Thanks.

And I also picked up a red one with the dot on the top of the cap as well but since it all matched I didn't have to worry. It had a lifetime nib in the style of the one on the right.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx346/km4rt_secur1ty/20151214_100812.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx346/km4rt_secur1ty/20151214_100733.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kmart_security

• Ernst Bitterman

• ppdiaporama

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know they are sheaffer tuckaways, the question is the right cap with the right pen and nib. It seems the open nib is after '45 and the other could be pre '45? But did they still continue to make the caps with the white dot on top after they found a way to put it in the metal or was the transition whole across the board?

EDIT: I did more reading, one looks to be a statemens, the other a Sovereign?

Edited by Astewa

This is very tricky, and I won't claim to have it right. Looking into some old Pennants, it looks like that trim in 1946 with a triumph point was a Tuckaway II, and that cap didn't appear with an open point. In 1947, the conical point is a just plain Tuckaway, while the open point is a Lady Sheaffer. I have a 1949 catalogue, and the TD version apparently didn't come with the triumph point, and the open point with that cap is now the sole Tuckaway left standing.

No clue for 1948 or exactly what went on between 1941 and '45 (after the initial and quite different Tuckaway and before the Pennant material), and I'd join you in thinking that the top-dot on the one cap suggests a somewhat older pen, but I have no foundation for it. All of which is to say that the caps and the pens they're next to are, if not original to one another, correct enough that no one can complain about them.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg