Xeen17

Hello Everyone,

I've been looking through this site for many years but only gained the courage to join today :D

I went to a school from ages 9-13 where use of a fountain pen was compulsory. The pen of the day was Parker - but I don't remember owning one at that age. Biros were banned from the school. I quite liked that we had to use a fountain pen. Back then, it was one of the things that set us apart from other local state schools along with having to wear a uniform and learn a musical instrument.

I've been fussy about stationery ever since, but only linked my nerdy relationship to pens and paper back to my middle school very recently. I like to have the perfect pens, the perfect inks and the perfect writing pads - perfect for me that is! I don't mind others using different stationery and I don't dictate.

I don't need to own an expensive pen to enjoy writing with a fountain pen.

Currently, I have some fantastic Chinese pens (Duke Ruby & Jinhao Bookworm Celluloid fountain pens), a lovely Cross Beverley White and a decadent Grifos Cappuccino.

I like highly pigmented inks, so my blacks would be Aurora or Lamy. However, I prefer purples/violets though and I'm currently enjoying Diamine Shimmer Purple Pazazz in my Cross & Grifos pens and Private Reserve Tanzanite in my Duke Ruby.

When I'm unable to write with a fountain pen (I often have to write on self duplicating paper) I revert to gel ink pens because of the depth of colour of the ink.

My writing pads for home and work are A4 Black n Red Wirebound 90gsm notebooks. I don't really have a problem with the ink seeping through to the other side of the page.

Now that I've exposed the true extent of my nerdiness, I'll sign off. :)

Many thanks!

~ Plan for Tomorrow * Live for Today ~

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xeen17

• PAKMAN

• Sasha Royale

• northstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome !

Sorry that you took so long to join in. We don't bite ! We are mostly nice people. (Okay. Sometimes, I actually DO bite. :rolleyes: ) Even the grumpy members are generous in sharing experiences. The variety of ink is glorious. I think you will find many that please.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Greetings from California and a warm welcome to FPN. Glad you've joined up with us; it's great to have you here.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome to the club? It's a great hobby (passion)... Enjoy it! Question: Does England (or the UK) have any native FP manufacturers? Showing my lack of global knowledge here...

JC3

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everybody, I really appreciate it :wub:

Question: Does England (or the UK) have any native FP manufacturers?

That's a great question GardenCity-NY.

When I was a girl I thought Parker pens were British, mainly because they were seen as the quality pen of choice at school - just as Timex was the watch of choice (another US brand I mistakenly thought was British). However, I've known that Parker is American for many years now but wasn't sure of any UK brands off the top of my head until you asked the question.

A few years ago when I was looking for a keepsake pen for my husband to buy me, I happened across this pen.

http://www.bespokebritishpens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/AR_F_01_A-100x100.jpg

It's by Jack Row, a British pen designer and this pen comes from a range based on some UK architectural sites - in this case, The Gherkin, a building that can be found in Central London. Although starting at £7,299, :yikes: the pen was more than a little out of my league, it did bring British pens to my attention.

In addition to Jack Row, the following brands are British:

1. Conway Stewart
  2. Yard-o-Lead
  3. Onoto
  4. Henry Simpole

There are others, but the first two in the list are the best known of the lot.

Thanks for reigniting my interest in British pens ;)

~ Plan for Tomorrow * Live for Today ~