Kaweco Sport

latetotheparty

This is a quick review of a Kaweco Sport that I bought for a Secret Santa gift. So I tested it before wrapping. It's the first and only time I've written with a Kaweco pen.post-126058-0-99083400-1450058458_thumb.jpg

It was around $22 dollars. I chose a fine nib. The body is bordeaux and made of plastic. The paper is Franklin-Christoph's notepad (made from sugar cane). I used J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, which I think is a nice, leafy green color.

post-126058-0-36486100-1450058596_thumb.jpg

The pen wrote straight out of the box and was surprisingly smooth. It is smaller than my Franklin-Christoph pens around the grip section, but it was not so narrow to be uncomfortable. The threads are sharper than on my FCs, but, again, not such an issue as to make it uncomfortable to write. I tried with the pen posted and unposted. It feels too dinky and small to write more than a few sentences unposted. Posted, it is very comfortable. I don't like heavy pens and this is indeed very light.

I like the bordeaux color. The plastic feels more fragile than the acrylic of my FCs, but still not so delicate that I'm worried about gripping it.

The only downside of the pen so far is that the official converter is useless. It's so tiny that I'm hesitant to squeeze too hard for fear of dislodging it. Other than that, I think it's a great pen for the price, especially considering it's made in Germany where labor costs are not cheap.

post-126058-0-06095600-1450058620_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• latetotheparty

• mehandiratta

• Amberjack

• Dickkooty2

Nice review. I too am a fan of the Kaweco Sport.

My first was a bordeaux but it was confiscated by my teenager so I bought myself a black one.

The plastic does feel fragile but I can tell you that I have carried a Sport for a couple years now on extensive travels around the US. Sometimes protected but sometimes just in my back pocket. It has never broken, leaked or failed to start. If I lost it I would buy another immediately.

Jack

Nice review. I too am a fan of the Kaweco Sport.

My first was a bordeaux but it was confiscated by my teenager so I bought myself a black one.

The plastic does feel fragile but I can tell you that I have carried a Sport for a couple years now on extensive travels around the US. Sometimes protected but sometimes just in my back pocket. It has never broken, leaked or failed to start. If I lost it I would buy another immediately.

Jack

Thank you Amberjack for taking the time to read and respond. Good to know that it is robust. I had the Franklin Christoph P40 briefly before I swapped it for a full size FC. The FC felt much more solid, but there is obviously a significant price difference between them. For the money though, I really was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the Kaweco wrote gI've its lessential than $25.

Thanks for the review ... I've been debating getting one of these for my daugther

I got the orange ice version for my niece and she loves it. Thanks for taking the time to read.

i love the classic green color on kaweco sport.... along with the gold clip

Thank you for responding. Yes, the green version looks lovely too, very classic.

nice review.. its a wonderful pen.. small pen with smooth nib and at a very reasonable price. I hope someday we get this pen in India.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

i love the classic green color on kaweco sport.... along with the gold clip

I have this one and the combo of the green and gold is very elegant! I also have the mint...

I love my Kawecos and I'm always tempted to buy another! COLLECT ALL THE COLORS!!!

I love these pens. I've purchased four -- one for my Father, Mother, Friend, and one for myself. All four have written extremely well, feel fairly solidly constructed, and are used frequently. My Father is a lefty overwriter and finds many nibs quite scratchy -- the medium nibbed Kaweco Sport (in bordeaux as a matter of fact) is his favorite pen. As far as "inexpensive" fountain pens go, this one is really quite hard to beat. Great review!!

The Kaweco Sport is a great pocket pen, it is light and small, perfect.

Thank you for the review!

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond Appletree!