Oversize Wahl-Eversharp Decoband With 14K Superflex Nib

zaddick

Thanks, Zaddick. As others have said, a thorough and insightful review. Like you, I checked these out at the SF Show, and spent a lot of time talking with Syd, as I've been following the development for the last year. Unfortunately, it was one of the rare times where I let my head lead my heart: I tried the pen any number of times, and I couldn't shake the feeling that it was too big for me, and as a result would just be some sort of trophy on the wall. I tend to not do that with pens, so I'm waiting for a Doric re-imagining and hopefully that pen (or some pen to come) won't be another gargantuan object.

Then again, that big beautiful pen saved me a lot of money! :)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• ArchiMark

• kirchh

• whichwatch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review and pictures. I purchased the pen in the Blue Lapis yesterday on their website. Hopfully, I will recieve the pen shortly and then I can add my feedback to the group

This pen is incredible, and thank you for the review.

There is one major issue I have with this pen that is a bit of a deal breaker: the clip.

It's tiny, poorly stamped, and leaves what appears to be an obscene amount of cap poking out, should you clip it to something.

It's not a hammer or machete. I do not need that kind of purchase on the draw. That design is absurd.

I love everything else, and I feel it has design features sorely missing from the premium pen price category: unique feed, large, unique nib, choice of material other than acrylic/resin, not a C/C filler.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

• 2 weeks later...

This pen is incredible, and thank you for the review.

There is one major issue I have with this pen that is a bit of a deal breaker: the clip.

It's tiny, poorly stamped, and leaves what appears to be an obscene amount of cap poking out, should you clip it to something.

It's not a hammer or machete. I do not need that kind of purchase on the draw. That design is absurd.

I love everything else, and I feel it has design features sorely missing from the premium pen price category: unique feed, large, unique nib, choice of material other than acrylic/resin, not a C/C filler.

This is a fair point. I agree the stamping could be sharper and the clip appears to be small, but it is a faithful representation of the clip on the original Decoband that this pen was based on. Not only is this a large pen, but the combo of the size and weight together make it a significant challenge for most shirt breast pockets. Maybe a Leatherman belt holster would be a good fit. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Just a quick update from me... after a couple fills I cleaned the pen this weekend and set it to dry. Man, it was pretty darned easy to clean compared to so many pens I own. It would be quite easy to change colors in this pen without issue. Another positive in my book.

It's a cool pen but I don't understand why in the world it's so obscenely large. I mean, the MB 149 already stretches the limits of most normal sized hands. Plus, I feel like pulling this pen out in a meeting involving non fountain pen people would make you look.. well for lack of a better word .. like a complete d-bag. The flex nib is cool, I love the general design, not so happy with the stamping but w/e, but I can't imagine trying to use a pen that size comfortably and I certainly wouldn't want to lug one around with me. Maybe they'll release a midi version!!

Thanks for the excellent review btw. Neat to see the pen in such detail.

Ummm....maybe some of us just like having obscenely large pens..... :)

I'm happy with my lil' rosewood baseball bat......

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070970_zpsq8osrouh.jpeg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070971_zpshxblmt6r.jpeg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070973_zpsfkzzkzxf.jpeg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070974_zps6y9bjq1g.jpeg

B)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Mark - that nib looks awfully dry and ink starved. Please tell me you have used the pen and these are old pictures!

Umm.....yeah......

This better?

:)

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070977_zps445ofkho.jpeg

Ummm....maybe some of us just like having obscenely large pens..... :)

I'm happy with my lil' rosewood baseball bat......

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070970_zpsq8osrouh.jpeg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070971_zpshxblmt6r.jpeg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070973_zpsfkzzkzxf.jpeg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/P1070974_zps6y9bjq1g.jpeg

B)

Nuthin' wrong with having a BIG pen!

Umm.....yeah......

This better?

YES! No need to revoke your membership. :)

YES! No need to revoke your membership. :)

Whew....that was a close one.....

;)

I like how you've hidden the fact that the pages in that journal are 10" wide and 18" tall... ;)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I like how you've hidden the fact that the pages in that journal are 10" wide and 18" tall... ;)

Thanks.....although not a secret now.......

:rolleyes:

I'm ashamed to say I haven't inked my Decoband either. Too many new pens, too little time. Even worse, I'm expecting a Montblanc Heritage 1914 in the mail, and I'm considering getting a Namiki vermilion urushi No. 50 (Emperor size).

For those Freudians in the peanut gallery, sometimes a big pen is just a big pen.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't inked my Decoband either.

Well, shame on you! The pen writes beautifully and is SOOO well balanced. You really have to try it.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't inked my Decoband either. Too many new pens, too little time. Even worse, I'm expecting a Montblanc Heritage 1914 in the mail, and I'm considering getting a Namiki vermilion urushi No. 50 (Emperor size).

For those Freudians in the peanut gallery, sometimes a big pen is just a big pen.

I have a similar affliction. I alays play with the 1914 at the MB boutique. I just haven't convinced myself to buy one. The nib has good spring. I also just bought a Namiki #50 last month. I'd say go for it on that pen. Is much lighter than the 1914 and had a bigger nib. Not as much spring though.

The pouch shown in the picture is labeled as being an antioxidant product, but I believe it is an acid scavenger. About what would you like elaboration?

--Daniel

For example, what is an acid scavenger, and what can be the implication for the pen?

For example, what is an acid scavenger, and what can be the implication for the pen?

Acid scavenger info

The hard rubber can release some sulfur for a short period after the material is machined, which can then form sulfuric acid in the presence of atmospheric moisture. That, in turn, can attack metal trim. An acid scavenger removes acid from the environment.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Thanks for the info, Daniel....

So, basically it's sulphur sucker.....

Mark