The Unparalleled Skills Of A Master Ink Mixer

migo984

The more I find out about, and use, inks, the more I realise the unbelievable skill, knowledge and experience that is required to make a truly unique, complex and beautiful ink.

My favourite ink, beyond doubt, is BungBox Sweet Potato Purple. For me it is the perfect balance of colour, shading, sheen (wow! that sheen!), saturation, texture, and behaviour. Yes it has its quirks and can be a pig to clean out of some pens, but I just love it. On the page, for me it is just wonderful. One day I'll probably find something as good or similar, and hopefully cheaper and more accessible, but not so far.....

Today, my awe of the ink master went up another 1,000 notches. I have spent several (many) hours, fruitlessly trying to mix an ink the same colour, shading, behaviour and sheen as SPP. I have come close, but not close enough. I have the beginnings of sheen in my mix, and with a few more hours, I think I could get the colour even closer, but it still needs work. This just proves to me that if you find a unique ink that you love, it is worth seeking out and paying for that ink. Your mileage and opinions may vary, obviously.

Here is a pic of where I've got to so far. SPP is shown with a close-ish production ink, Levenger Pomegranate.

My mix is made up of 6 different colours, in various proportions.....

Verba volant, scripta manent

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• jmccarty3

• migo984

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy that! I've tried mixing for years, too. No to save money but to reach perfection. Har, har, har. http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Laugh.png

Your job above looks really good IMO. But as you say, getting the colours "right" and how many to mix (check the chromatogram, eh?) is not simple. There'll always be something missing, e.g. an "edge" or a "hint" here or there. Then I end up fooling around with surfactants (usually tensides) and things like phenol and/or sodium azide.

I don't mind spending a lot of money on a fantastic ink. It does, however, peeve me somewhat that some of these are so difficult to order (whether or not they are a LE ink) and then get sent and received, with or without customs here. http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/blackyum.jpg

Mike

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

One can only pray that the master has apprentices. This is an art of the highest order.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

It took me a number of years and several published attempts to duplicate Parker Penman Sapphire (Faux Penman Sapphire #2b, #8b & #9). And even then, I was gazumped by Amberleadavis with her Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire. And that was just a simple (but extraordinary) Blue.

And you have been able to recreate a purply brown (or is that a browny purple?). My hat is off to you.

And on another note, if you have a chance to try the real purple sweet potato, do. It is white on the outside and purple on the inside, not to be confused with the edible styrofoam that is purple on the outside and white on the inside. True purple sweet potato has much more texture than the common orange sweet potato, and doesn't turn to mush like the orange.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching