Waterman Hemisphere Rollerball And Uniball Refill ?

While I have read (on FPN) that the Waterman Expert RB takes the Uniball 207 Signo, its not clear if the Waterman Hemisphere also takes Uniball 207 signo refills or the jetstream refills?

(I am also given to understand that both Expert and Hemisphere take the Piot G2)

If anyone has experience with Hemisphere RB and Uniball refills, may please comment.

Thank you.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Though there were no answers, I did some "research" on internet and found that whichever pen takes G2 would take take the Uniball refills.

Though the German and Japanese roller refills are "seemingly" interchangeable, the difference is at the junction where the tip is attached to refill body. Some pens like Sheaffer 100 rollers have machined the section in such way that the Japanese refills don't even enter properly into the section - making any Japanese refills impossible (300 & vfm rollers take uniball). This is often the case with many other rollerballs that come with Schmidt originated roller refills- particularly those nice looking acrylic rollers that are made with Schmidt roller refills.

It is really not clear why pen makers tend to make pens that are not compatible with other better refills. While answer to this is obvious, these refill manufacturers dont even provide refills with waterproof inks. The worst of these soluble ink refills are Schmidt and Parker (even if their tip is really fine which is a plus)- the water soluble ink negates everything.

I hope this info might help others also

I put my savings to test

I have a Waterman Hemisphere Roller in black/gold. It takes Pilot G2 refills fine. I put a Uni UMR-80 Gel refill in and it works, but it is a bit too long (it can be shortened). A Uni SXR-C1 refill from a Jetstream doesn't work in the Hemisphere, the nib below the refill shoulder isn't long enough and the refill is overall too long (but I have heard of people taking a razor knife to these and making them work). A Pentel LR10 Liquid-Gel 1.0mm refill out of an Energel pen (sort of) fits and is a really good performer, but it's a tight fit where the refill emerges from the Hemisphere's section and overall the refill is a couple/few millimeters too long. But you can easily shorten the Pentel LR10 Liquid-Gel 1.0mm refill with a nail file or razor knife. None of the Pilot G2 or Uni compatible refills I tried in the Hemisphere so-far are as good as the Waterman branded refill (Schmidt made perhaps?). The Pentel refill is almost as good as the Waterman refill, but only in the 1.0mm version. Keep in-mind, I'm not a ballpoint/rollerball person at heart, but I use them when need-be. Regards, David

I have a Waterman Hemisphere Roller in black/gold. It takes Pilot G2 refills fine. I put a Uni UMR-80 Gel refill in and it works, but it is a bit too long (it can be shortened). A Uni SXR-C1 refill from a Jetstream doesn't work in the Hemisphere, the nib below the refill shoulder isn't long enough and the refill is overall too long (but I have heard of people taking a razor knife to these and making them work). A Pentel LR10 Liquid-Gel 1.0mm refill out of an Energel pen (sort of) fits and is a really good performer, but it's a tight fit where the refill emerges from the Hemisphere's section and overall the refill is a couple/few millimeters too long. But you can easily shorten the Pentel LR10 Liquid-Gel 1.0mm refill with a nail file or razor knife. None of the Pilot G2 or Uni compatible refills I tried in the Hemisphere so-far are as good as the Waterman branded refill (Schmidt made perhaps?). The Pentel refill is almost as good as the Waterman refill, but only in the 1.0mm version. Keep in-mind, I'm not a ballpoint/rollerball person at heart, but I use them when need-be. Regards, David

Many thanks for your reply.

To add to what you have written, my experience of hacking refills is very simple - if the tip elongates out a spring can be put in front; if the back side length is short then a stub or anything like a small cotton ball can be put in back; if its longer & plastic the back can be cut.

The only problem occurs when there is a pen using schmidt refill - if you see the elongated part there is no step between metal tip and plastic. Some pens like Sheaffer 100 that are machined very precisely for Schimidt would not take G2 or Uniball.

My choice is for most purposes is an F/EF FP with Pilot ink. But for many outdoor occasions I prefer Uniball - rollers/ gels /vision elites and jetstream. These are available in .38 and .5 versions and i find them excellent for outdoor purposes. And signo gels if they get a good shell - nothing better than that.

Thanks & regards

anup

I put my savings to test