Remove End Finial On Jinhao 159?

grahamtillotson

Anyone out there tried removing the end finial off of a Jinhao 159? The cap one comes off, but an initial test of the barrel finial (my hands) shows nothing moving or unscrewing. Now that they have multiple colors I'm interested in swapping some parts to create hybrids and see how they look.

Thanks!

Graham

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• grahamtillotson

• I like mango cheesecake

• Martolod

Hah!!!

I tried exactly just that for the exact same reason as you. Unfortunately trying to remove the finial or false blind cap proved disastrous. Let's just say that a custom paint job is now my next project. . .

Ha! Indeed I made the same discovery. For the sake of research I'm posting the setup below, which seems to be a ribbed pressure fit with some form of cement. I'm guessing it may be possible to work the finial off with heat and pulling straight back, but as you said the finish is so easy to scratch that it probably isn't worth it.

Graham

fpn_1449757101__159_finial.jpg

Totally brilliant idea Flounder. Worked like a charm. Let the games begin ;-). Note one of the pens below has a swapped nib also (Bock from a TWSBI).

Graham

fpn_1449788741__159b.jpg

fpn_1449788729__159a.jpg

Could you maybe hammer the blind cap off from the inside using a drift?

hah -meant to say finial there. I've had the idea of a touchdown 159 in my noggin for a while, guess i have blind caps on the brain.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Dang that looks so cool!

Sort of a Jinhao Dolce Vita

Sadly to say my blind cap looks very similar to Graham's photo example.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old, but HOW did you get the endcap off of those two Jinhaos? I really wanna make myself a Yellow/Black one, but nothing will get the end to even budge and I don't wanna break anything. Hot air? Hot water?? Soak for a week?? What do?

From the description they put a rod (drift) down the barrel and pushed the cap off from the inside. Possible it needed a gentle hammer or heating to loosen the cap.

From the description they put a rod (drift) down the barrel and pushed the cap off from the inside. Possible it needed a gentle hammer or heating to loosen the cap.

Yep. Pop a brass rod in the barrel, hold the barrel in one hand, few taps on the rod with a hammer, tada.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review