I Know It's A Sheaffer, But What Is It?

Davjohn

fpn_1449639340__sheaffers.jpg

I have 2 of the 2nd from left, 6 of the 3rd from left, and 3 of the far right. All I know is that they are engraved "Sheaffer", but nothing else. The 3rd from left were sold as "School Pens". If I Google "Sheaffer School Pens", the 3 on the left will appear. The one on the right appears labeled as a Viewpoint.

If you know what they are, please let me know.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davjohn

• Sailor Kenshin

• dan in montreal

• jar

The two left appear to be the third iteration of the cartridge pen (AkA School pen). The next is a newer "School Pen" and the far right is a NoNonsense but not sure where "Viewpoint" comes in. Can you show us the section and nib on that one?

My Website

I'm inclined to think #4 is a NoNonsense, too. The band on early Viewpoints is a little thinner, and I think before the switch to an open window in the barrel, they were all transparent. #1 may be a second-iteration rather than a third; I think I see a little bit of a cone on the tail.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The two left appear to be the third iteration of the cartridge pen (AkA School pen). The next is a newer "School Pen" and the far right is a NoNonsense but not sure where "Viewpoint" comes in. Can you show us the section and nib on that one?

Is there an easier way to upload pictures?

fpn_1449706755__snib.jpg

I'm inclined to think #4 is a NoNonsense, too. The band on early Viewpoints is a little thinner, and I think before the switch to an open window in the barrel, they were all transparent. #1 may be a second-iteration rather than a third; I think I see a little bit of a cone on the tail.

You are correct, sir. There is a slight cone on both ends.

I think the 'Viewpoint' was the translucent NN model. I have it in smoke, but they also may have come in green, blue and burgundy.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Look at this website. The No Nonsense Sheaffer is on that page with the card and blister pack with the Viewpoint label. The other pens are there, too.

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferNoNonsense.htm

Older ("vintage") Viewpoints do not have the rubberized section. Did you see that part on Penhero? Unless I am remembering the name wrong, which could well be the case here, but I recall buying a few translucent NN pens in a Staples or OM, and I thought that was what they were called...

Davjohn,is your pen solid color plastic or translucent?

PS: Turns out my memory did not fail. Older translucent NNs were called Viewpoints.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

Older ("vintage") Viewpoints do not have the rubberized section. Did you see that part on Penhero? Unless I am remembering the name wrong, which could well be the case here, but I recall buying a few translucent NN pens in a Staples or OM, and I thought that was what they were called...

PS: Turns out my memory did not fail. <a href='https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/37003-nononsense-color-range/page-5' class='bbc_url' title=''>Older translucent NNs were called Viewpoints. </a>

Actually, no and thanks for pointing it out. I had not noticed the blister pack with the model name in the article! I always assumed the Viewpoint name designated a specific iteration of the NN line - rubber section and snap cap. I stand corrected.

PS: Turns out my memory did not fail. <a href='https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/37003-nononsense-color-range/page-5' class='bbc_url' title=''>Older translucent NNs were called Viewpoints. </a>

The pens in question are solid black, solid plastic section with no rubber, the caps are thread on, and the nibs are marked "F".

I did buy them at a Staples.

The pens in question are solid black, solid plastic section with no rubber, the caps are thread on, and the nibs are marked "F".

I did buy them at a Staples.

So that would seem to be a regular NN. Is the trim gold or silver in color?

• 2 weeks later...

My first ever fountain pen was like one of the three on the left, but had a red barrel. I found it in my father's desk drawer, totally unused, and adopted it. Several years after that it died a spectacular death in my jeans pocket. I replaced it with one much like the one on the right, which was nothing like my old one. Squared-off ends -- and I never cared for that clip compared with the sleek older one. That was my last Sheaffer.

Around then my dad bought one with a broad nib. Makes me wonder where that one went. That one would have.been a slightly more expensive model. As I recall that one ran about USD 5 in about 1979. My cheaper model was in the USD 2-3 range.