Why Does My Lamy 2000 Has A Crack In Its Grip That Does Not Leak

mathleteandeconlete

Hey fellow fountainpennetworkers;

I know that a lot of your guys have had cracked and leaky Lamy 2000s,but mine confuses me a little bit.My lamy was bought on the counter(exactly the one displayed on it),and it feels pretty good,the nibs, the barrel,all great.But a month later ,when I inspected the nib(don't blame me for being overly careful,cause any one will take great care of a pen more than $150),I find there to be a nearly 1 cm crack(a visible black line) ,starting from the joint of steel and morkoron (I don't know how to spell it).But strange enough,it does not leak,but when your finger touches the crack, it feesl just not so smooth.It does not leak .I feel it eventually would someday,with the viscosity of the ink holding the leak back just for now.

Sending it over to Germany is so effort-taking ,and its not easy to get these crack sealants in where iI live ,so what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• mathleteandeconlete

• Algester

• dfo

Top Posters In This Topic

It is called Macrolon.

And if it has a lengthwise crack that is not good. --> run back to the counter where you bought it.

However if it is a circular crack, right where the "ears" are, that should be there. That is the point where the section unscrews.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thank you guys .I 've went back to the counter and guess what the girl at the counter told me?She said that it's normal for a handmade product to have this"uneven surface"/It really shocked me,to hear so official a reply from a Lamy salesperson.

Ehhh, I very much doubt a Lamy macrolon pen is hand-made....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

depends on what model you got if its late 2009 model then the reason it's not leaking because the section is fully stainless steel with a makrolon binde if you do not mind the crack just go ahead and use it if you do mind the crack because cosmetics then contact lamy germany ASAP

Leaking should only occur on the older models because it's the inverse Makrolon section with a stainless steel binde

and depending on the agreement upon the service you may or may not have to pay for the parts and shipping and or shipping to germany

Edited by Algester

Ehhh, I very much doubt a Lamy macrolon pen is hand-made....

D.ick

Most pens require quite a bit of human labor. Check out Lamy's website: there are a few videos showing the body of a Lamy 2000 being ground by hand on a grainer (table sander). A CNC mill is only used to rough out the shape of the makralon barrel and steel section.

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci