Sentinel Snorkel Dying After About A Page Of Writing

Mister5

Hi, I was wondering whether the Sentinel Snorkel has to have the end cap loosened for heavier amounts of writing, kind of how you might on a TWSBI Vac or Pilot 823.

The reason I ask is that after about of page of writing using the Sentinel, it seems to die on me.

I haven't tried loosening it after a heavy writing session lately as it's not in rotation at the moment. I recently had the pen repaired by indy-pen-dance so it should be in good shape snorkel-wise.

My guess is the answer is "no" but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one for sure.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mister5

• Florida Blue

• northstar

• Bentlink

Your guess is correct in that there is no need to loosen the blind cap. It should be flush when in use.

If the pen is correctly restored then maybe you need to leave the Snorkel tube in a little while longer. After you push the plunger tube down, wait about 10 seconds before taking the Snorkel tube out of the ink.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Your guess is correct in that there is no need to loosen the blind cap. It should be flush when in use.

If the pen is correctly restored then maybe you need to leave the Snorkel tube in a little while longer. After you push the plunger tube down, wait about 10 seconds before taking the Snorkel tube out of the ink.

That's my usual technique for filling the Snorkel (or for the Touchdown for that matter). Usually I wait 20-30 sec. I don't think its the amount of ink in the pen that's the issue, as after a while, it seems the feed fills up and can go for a little bit more.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

That's my usual technique for filling the Snorkel (or for the Touchdown for that matter). Usually I wait 20-30 sec. I don't think its the amount of ink in the pen that's the issue, as after a while, it seems the feed fills up and can go for a little bit more.

Do you see bubbles in the ink when you push down on the touchdown tube? That would indicate air being expelled. Perhaps the feed is dry and needs to be submerged in ink.

You could try filling it and measuring how much ink it holds. Snorkels don't hold a lot of ink, but it should write for more than a page.

Also, check the pen for hairline cracks. Usually in the ribbed section or bottom of the barrel near the blind cap. It won't properly seal if their's a crack.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

The vac 700 got a ink shut down mechanism and that's the reason for loosening the blind cup on them for long writings, but as for snorkels there is not such system, and therefore the problem with your snorkel is else where.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Clean the pen thoroughly with a 10 percent ammonia solution or a pen flush (especially the Snorkel tube--draw the solution in and expel repeatedly) and if the flow is still poor return it to Independance.

Also-- if the pen has been sitting dry, the external feed will need wetting to ensure transmission from the inward feed of the snorkel. When filling the pen, dip a little bit of the point into the ink after the 10 second wait for ingestion (about up to the breath hole). It won't be necessary when refilling, but it's sort of VITAL when the pen has been out of action for a while.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Sometimes when the snorkel tube is lubricated with silicone grease it goes where it should not. When the tube is extended give the little slits a clean even using a bit of paper/dental floss etc to get into the slot.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give these techniques a shot once I've used up the ink in this eyedropper and in a Pelikan. Too many pens too little time.

Two possible causes I've learned the hard way:

1) if the new sac is a bit too long, it's in mechanical compression in the protector. Now a plunge of the touchdown tube needs to overcome this before reducing the sac volume and you get less drink of your ink (I did this) shorten the sac or replace with one of correct, shorter length.

2) the tiny breather hole in the barrel is blocked. This has the sack pulling a vacuum on the feed as its ink is exhausted (I did this too) remove the barrel and clean the tube with a fine wire or blast of air

I've got more mistakes to pass along, and am working hard to make new ones

Edited by Bentlink