Hi Folks,

I'm pleased to be joining this forum, having spent some time reading posts and learning about pens I have then gone onto purchase. I'm not new to fountain pens, having used them since I was a child. I only started acquiring more pens earlier this year when I realised that Caran d'Ache had discontinued their Caribbean Sea ink.

*shakes fist*

I'll admit, I panicked and seriously considered dropping over 200€ on the last six bottles I could find online. Then I took a moment and thought about what else I could do with that money...

Highlights of my collection are Pelikan M200, M400; Edison Pearlette; Franklin-Christoph P66 'Coke Bottle Pen'; Visconti Salvadore Dali, a couple of Conway Stewart from 1950's; Parker 51; TWSBI 580AL (no cracking yet).

Suffice it to say, I'm enjoying myself.

I'm also enjoying different inks and thanks to Diamine, I have not only found a reasonable replacement for Caribbean Sea, but broken my addiction to turqoise inks. I also like some of the Pelikan Edelstein inks, Noodler's, J Herbin, Graf von Faber-Castell...

I have reached the point, however, that my friends are beginning ask questions: "You paid how much for a pen?" and "How many pens do you own? Seriously?" So I decided it was time to join up and talk to some people who understand.

I'm pleased to meet you all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waldiland

• stephanos

• iancorben

• Kris1

Yes, Waldiland, with that collection I think it was time to join us. Welcome aboard!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome, Waldiland !

Your friend's wife has "how many" pairs of shoes ? Yet, he has not found the thing that gives him joy.

My father, as well, was a fan of turquoise inks.

Write with joyl

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome, Waldiland !

Your friend's wife has "how many" pairs of shoes ? Yet, he has not found the thing that gives him joy.

My father, as well, was a fan of turquoise inks.

Write with joyl

We all have our weaknesses; some of us are prepared to admit to them. I was explaining to my sister just today that I gave up wasting my money on partying into the night many years ago and, while I quite like a glass of wine, getting wasted of an evening does not constitute a hobby. And you're right, some of the people I have received strange reactions from don't have something in their lives that is entirely their own pleasure.

Were there any inks in particular that your Father enjoyed?

Hello Wahl, hello tbickiii :)

I have reached the point, however, that my friends are beginning ask questions: "You paid how much for a pen?" and "How many pens do you own? Seriously?" So I decided it was time to join up and talk to some people who understand.

Welcome.

+1 on the above!

Out of interest, what did you find to replace Caribbean Sea?

Thank you Stephanos. I found that Diamine Marine is the closest match (that I have found) to Caribbean Sea. Marine has more black and doesn't shade in the same way, but it's close enough for me. Did Caran d'Ache ever reveal why they decided to discontinue Colours of the Earth?

Time for a change, I suppose; shake off the (perceived) dust and create new interest. I never tried the older colours. I got (back) into fountain pens after Caran d'Ache introduced their Chromatics bottles, which are lovely and a bit bigger than the older bottles, but they seem so overpriced that I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. Same with the Graf von Faber Castell inks.

I mean, Iroshizuku are also expensive in Europe, but one can buy those directly from Japan at much lower cost - if you buy them one at a time and are prepared to wait, then you usually don't go over the threshold for customs.

I am rather particular about turquoise: I love the idea in principle, but in practice, this is one shade of ink that usually disappoints. So, thanks for the tip about Diamine Marine - I'll give it a try in the coming year.

Your flag says Germany: which Land are you in?

I own one Graf von Faber Castell ink: Moss Green. It is expensive and it's a nice colour, but that's not it's greatest problem. The blood cap is so smooth that I often need assistance to open it. It's quite annoying.

Some turquoise's disappoint. I also enjoy Waterman South Seas Blue/Inspired Blue. It's more of a blue-turquoise and shades very well, whereas Caribbean Sea and Marine are more green-turquoise.

I live in Saxony. Are you in Germany?

I own one Graf von Faber Castell ink: Moss Green. It is expensive and it's a nice colour, but that's not it's greatest problem. The blood cap is so smooth that I often need assistance to open it. It's quite annoying.

Some turquoise's disappoint. I also enjoy Waterman South Seas Blue/Inspired Blue. It's more of a blue-turquoise and shades very well, whereas Caribbean Sea and Marine are more green-turquoise.

I live in Saxony. Are you in Germany?

I do not know much about the inks you mention but in my opinion Dresden is one of the most beautiful cities in Germany and in Europe.

I do not know much about the inks you mention but in my opinion Dresden is one of the most beautiful cities in Germany and in Europe.

Yes, Dresden is quite lovely.