Any Canadians With Experience With Lamy Al-Star Purchases On Amazon.ca?

canukeneh

Hey guys. Just found your forum today as my wife has found a sudden interest in fountain pens and would like one for Christmas. As such, I was looking for something in the middle of the road price range, not too cheap, but not exorbitant. From what I've read, Lamy seems to both provide a pleasant writing experience and priced right for beginners.

I see the Safari is very popular but I thought the aluminum build quality of the Al-star would make for a better present. I've found them listed on Amazon for less than what I can find them for in local retailers, and was wondering if anyone here has experience dealing with Amazon or their third party retailers for Lamy pens? I've read there are lots of concerns with fakes, and the occasional review on Amazon.ca says they received a fake. So while I want to get the best bang for my buck, I'm hoping any experiences people can share can help me avoid the folly of purchasing a fake Lamy pen.

Here is link to the amazon.ca product/seller I'm interested in. It says sold by Stylish Kitchenware and fulfilled by Amazon.ca. Obviously the name of the vendor raises flags as it seems it would be quite eclectic for a store named that to sell writing implements. The reviews seem mostly positive for them with no mention of fakes, but instead of receiving black ink, they received blue.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lamy-AL-Star-Fountain-Graphite-Cartridges/dp/B00V56CHKE/

There's also there's the shipped and sold by Amazon.ca option which is more expensive and doesn't come with additional ink refills. While this particular link doesn't have any reviews that suggests they received fake products, others sold by Amazon do.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lamy-Al-Star-Fountain-Purple-L29F/dp/B002YQF69I/

This Lamy Safari ships from and sold by Amazon.ca is one example that had reviews that the product sent was a fake. In the reviews one user even posted pictures comparing to a genuine pen.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lamy-Safari-Fountain-Pen-Charcoal/dp/B0002T401Y

Lastly if you have any suggestions for other online retailers (Canadian preferably) that you've had good experience with (genuine products) with similar price points or at least better than brick and mortar stores, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

C

Edited by canukeneh

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thriolith

• canukeneh

• kreinhard

• RMN

I'm not Canadian, eh, but I do enjoy visiting there. ;) I've bought that charcoal Safari from your third link, with gift box, from that seller (Creoly). It delivered fairly quickly, had a customs sticker on the box, and the pen is genuine as far as I can tell. I only have maybe 14 or so other Safaris of various vintages to compare to, though. Oh, it also came with a Lamy guarantee card, dated and listing Creoly as the delaer.

Edited by kreinhard

These pictures are useless to see if they are fakes, any way, they probably used stock pictures.

There are fakes out there on Amazon, as far as I can judge from various reports here.

And often in these cases the advertisement pics were the real deal, but the actual product proved fake, in some instances.

However, some fakes are decent pens, and some are absolute junk.

Only way to be sure: buy from a well know shop, either on-line or B&M. In the latter case you can hold it and see for yourself.

I personally like the Al-Star better. I got myself the limited Edition Copper Orange earlier this year.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Just an fyi I got a fake from Amazon and it was shipped via prime. Go with goulet or jet pens or a Canadian retailer to be sure.

Wonderpens.ca is a site I have ordered from. Fast and packed nicely. Although their price is around 50CAD for a Lamy Al Star. The distributor is lsfgroup (can't remember if it's .ca or .com). Their prices are a little higher as well.

I can't say anything about amazon since I have yet to order from them. Best of luck to you.

I have a Blue Ocean Al-Star from Stylish Kitchenware, it came with the 5 black cartridges. No issues.

I just received my Copper Orange Al-Star from Wonder Pens just yesterday. Hard to beat their service.

I have a Blue Ocean Al-Star from Stylish Kitchenware, it came with the 5 black cartridges. No issues.

I just received my Copper Orange Al-Star from Wonder Pens just yesterday. Hard to beat their service.

Thanks for all the reply guys. Thriolith, can you confirm the Ocean Blue Al-star from Stylish Kitchenware is genuine from what you can tell? i.e. from either comparing it to Copper orange Al-star you just received or looking at the other tell-tale signs that are listed out there, like the breather hole location on the nib, the cross top not not extending as far, etc...

Since the seller I'm considering on Amazon.ca is Stylish kitchenware, it would be great to confirm before I pull the trigger. I'm thinking of getting the purple al-star for my wife. Does anyone have this one, and if so, how does it look in person?

I'm not Canadian, eh, but I do enjoy visiting there. ;) I've bought that charcoal Safari from your third link, with gift box, from that seller (Creoly). It delivered fairly quickly, had a customs sticker on the box, and the pen is genuine as far as I can tell. I only have maybe 14 or so other Safaris of various vintages to compare to, though. Oh, it also came with a Lamy guarantee card, dated and listing Creoly as the delaer.

If not Canadian, regarding your purchase from Creoly, do you mind me asking where you ordered from (i.e. what country), and did you have to pay any customs/duties when it was delivered.

Edited by canukeneh

Creoly's been good with notebooks and converters for me, no customs/duties. Shipping from the UK was pretty quick too.

I've ordered from wonderpens before ... quick and well packed. Wonderpens is in Toronto

I regularly visit, and occasionnaly purchase from la Boutique du stylo in Montreal. They have an online shop www.stylo.ca

The Al-Star is a few dollars more at stylo.ca but they offer free shipping.

Both have great customer service and back up what they sell ... I've returned pens to stylo.ca countless times for refund, exchange, or tuning.

If not Canadian, regarding your purchase from Creoly, do you mind me asking where you ordered from (i.e. what country), and did you have to pay any customs/duties when it was delivered.

I'm in the US, ordered via amazon.com (Prime membership) and didn't pay anything extra as far as I know. My recollection is that the box actually shipped from Canada.