mehandiratta

This may sound strange to some, however, I enjoy writing with my Eco 1.1 vs. my 580 mini 1.1. When I first purchased the 580 I had to send it back to TWSBI to 'fix' the nib. Upon its return, it still did not write as I would have expected for a stub nib. It sat in my pen case for close to a year before finally pulling it out and writing with it. However, the Eco wrote beautifully right out of its box. It is not as fancy in some minor respects as the 580 mini, but it is a true delight to write with. Chesterfield Antique Orchid, Noodler's Ottoman Rose & Iroshizuku Kon-Peki look beautiful in the pen!

Edited by Helen350

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• amberleadavis

• Sooovasion247

• Jamerelbe

This may sound strange to some, however, I enjoy writing with my Eco 1.1 vs. my 580 mini 1.1. When I first purchased the 580 I had to send it back to TWSBI to 'fix' the nib. Upon its return, it still did not write as I would have expected for a stub nib. It sat in my pen case for close to a year before finally pulling it out and writing with it. However, the Eco wrote beautifully right out of its box. It is not as fancy in some minor respects as the 580 mini, but it is a true delight to write with. Chesterfield Antique Orchid, Noodler's Ottoman Rose & Iroshizuku Kon-Peki look beautiful in the pen!

The nibs are different..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I love my TWSBIs, but uh... well... I think the Eco gets more use than most of my other pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I love my TWSBIs, but uh... well... I think the Eco gets more use than most of my other pens.

Well Same here and I must agree with you.. part of the fact is that it is inexpensive... and I usually am not that worried with my Eco taking a beating... which is not the case with 580 or Vac .... M extra careful with them...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Ditto. If someone takes it, I won't have to hunt them down for my pen, I mean, I might hunt them down, but I don't have to hunt them down. :P

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The ECO is the most expensive pen I have, so I WILL hunt down the person who takes it. That said, if I see them using it correctly and extensively, I might just let it go.

I totally understand. It also depends on if it's a little kid using it correctly or opposing counsel. If it's the judge, the judge keeps it.

Ditto. If someone takes it, I won't have to hunt them down for my pen, I mean, I might hunt them down, but I don't have to hunt them down. :P

Ha ha Ha

vaibhav mehandiratta

Well my 2nd TWSBI Eco (black) arrived yesterday afternoon. Got it inked with Chesterfield Antique Orchid. Will be doing a bit of nib tuning today.- tines too snug together. I would surely hunt my Eco down if a light-fingered student got too excited. I have a few tuned Jinhao 599s for give away

I too have pens to give away.

I totally understand. It also depends on if it's a little kid using it correctly or opposing counsel. If it's the judge, the judge keeps it.

Lol gotta get those subtle connections xD. Just don't get caught bribing the judge using a fountain pen.

I'll give some of your guys' pens a new home! I'd love to try new pens! ;)

Pengineer, when you get a few more posts, you should try the TWSBI loaner and Esterbrook loaner programs. They are great fun.

Looks a little better than a medical syringe..

Just an opinion..

A syringe of any kind in a court room these days will get you in trouble. Here in Clark County, we experienced a Hep C outbreak from dirty syringes. The case has finally finished litigation.

As for looks, let me say that the pen is prettier in person.

Got mine with an EF nib. The EF nib did need a bit of tweaking and polishing to get it to write as smooth as I wanted, with Noodler's Gruene Cactus.

I am more of an EF/F writer, though I do have a Lamy 1.1 that I will pull out for doing Christmas cards. Most of my pens range from EF to F to M, but I keep getting drawn back to the EF nibs. Maybe because I like the thin lines which reminds me of writing with a dip pen.

It is quite fun to look at the ink inside the pen. And that becomes a challenge, to select an ink that looks good in the pen.

I plan on getting the ALL CLEAR Eco as soon as they are available for sale.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Very good review. I had a 540 where the body cracked. I had a 700 and the cap(s) cracked. Twice. This review convinced me to try again and I am very happy that I did. I now have two, both with 1.1 stubs and I use them every day. Great writers that hold a lot of ink and are comfortable to use.

Got mine with an EF nib. The EF nib did need a bit of tweaking and polishing to get it to write as smooth as I wanted, with Noodler's Gruene Cactus.

I am more of an EF/F writer, though I do have a Lamy 1.1 that I will pull out for doing Christmas cards. Most of my pens range from EF to F to M, but I keep getting drawn back to the EF nibs. Maybe because I like the thin lines which reminds me of writing with a dip pen.

It is quite fun to look at the ink inside the pen. And that becomes a challenge, to select an ink that looks good in the pen.

I plan on getting the ALL CLEAR Eco as soon as they are available for sale.

I have yet to lay my hands on EF ... will surely get one....

I think getting Japanese fine will be equivalent to western Fine ....

Now the All clear Eco is Launched...do update us when you get that one...

Very good review. I had a 540 where the body cracked. I had a 700 and the cap(s) cracked. Twice. This review convinced me to try again and I am very happy that I did. I now have two, both with 1.1 stubs and I use them every day. Great writers that hold a lot of ink and are comfortable to use.

Thank you for the appreciation ....

I love stubs.... my goto nib size....

and I think eco dont have much trouble as compared to 540....

vaibhav mehandiratta

I have yet to lay my hands on EF ... will surely get one....

I think getting Japanese fine will be equivalent to western Fine ....

Now the All clear Eco is Launched...do update us when you get that one...

I have the all clear EF. It writes perfectly for me. There is a bit of feedback, but it is certainly not scratchy.

I have the all clear EF. It writes perfectly for me. There is a bit of feedback, but it is certainly not scratchy.

well I blv if i go EF way .. I will buy japanese pens...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Great review, lovely handwriting. I have been using a 580 EF for almost a year now, I have been very happy with that. I also have an Eco (Black, M point) that I have a lot of fun with, I use it for sparkly inks, currently Diamine Blue Pearl. I have been writing with a Goulet 1.1 nib for the last few months and finally got tired of the cheap Jinhao pen. Just ordered the clear Eco with the 1.1 nib. Should be a lot of fun.