mehandiratta

TWSBI ECO - 1.1 Stub Nib

eco-1.jpg?w=768

This is the first non Indian pen I am going to review and I hope you all like the review and please leave the comments if you like.

The same has been reviewed at my blog and you are welcomed to visit my blog to check the reviews : LINK

This pen actually took almost 4 months to come into my hand. Even though I have TWSBI 580 Al Orange but I was more excited about the ECO. This pen was bought from Frank of FONTOPLUMO. It was booked as soon as it was launched and Frank was kind enough to hold the pen for more than a month and he was even kind enough to hand over the order to a visiting friend (Kapil Apashankar) in Netherlands and i must also mention this that the pen was on hold despite me not making the payment. And in the end I bought not just Eco but lot more pens for myself which will be reviewed here slowly.

Also let me take this opportunity to thank Kapil for taking all the pain of collecting the pens and sending it across to me from Pune.

So this is review about TWSBI ECO.

eco-11.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO

DESIGN AND BUILT : 04/05

The pen came in a no nonsense plastic box and the pen and the accessories were well packed. I took the white color model. The pen currently comes in two colors: Black and White. However there are certain other colors being proposed by TWSBI on their blog.

It’s a well designed elegant pen and even though it looks chunky when capped. It’s a beautiful pen when inked.

eco-16.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Beauty Shot

The barrel is clear acrylic which is again of good quality and is circular instead of faceted design of TWSBI 580 or VAC. The grip section is also clear acrylic and you can see the ink flowing to the feed from barrel to section and feed. I kind of love the demonstrators. They actually take the color of the ink you put in. Looks lovely.

eco-12.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Capped

The pen is actually one piece from grip section to barrel, only knob being different.

Some people have not like the cap design but for me it’s just okay and carries the design cues from the faceted design of 580 or Vac. The cap and piston knob both have faceted design. All the trims are chrome silver finish and the centre band of the cap has TWSBI and ECO imprinted on the band.

eco-14.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Cap View

eco-15.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Cap Clip View

eco-13.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Cap and Piston Knob – Faceted

eco-17.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Cap Inner View

The best thing about the pen is the rubberized O ring at the joint of piston knob and barrel which really helps in secure posting of the Cap. One thing to be noticed here is that apart from the nib and cap clip there is no metal part in the pen. Also like the O ring at the bottom there is one more O ring at the front of barrel which ensures the Cap doesn’t slip of and is securely closed.

Below image shows the pen capped and uncapped for comparison. The pen is just tad smaller than TWSBI 580 when it is capped.

eco-5.jpg?w=768

I love the pen and I believe there is no good quality piston filler demonstrator in this price range.

Below are the few images showing the comparison of the pen with others.

eco-3.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO vs Parker Sonnet vs Pelikan M200 Cognac – Capped

eco-4.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO vs Parker Sonnet vs Pelikan M200 Cognac – Uncapped and Posted

The pen is similarly prized as Lamy Safari and I believe this is better bet.

BALANCE : 05/05

The pen is very well balanced whether the cap is posted at back or not. Its a sizable pen and it is just a tad bit longer than 580 when posted.The pen posts really well and securely but for me its amazing when writing with cap not posted at back, but thats my personal preference.

The pen is 139 mm when capped and 168 when cap is posted at back.

Below are the images showing the comparison of writing with cap posted and cap unposted.

eco-7.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Writing Unposted

eco-6.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Writing Posted

NIB & INK FILLING MECHANISM: 05/05

The pen I am reviewing comes with friction fit 1.1 Stub nib and boy it writes so amazing. Loved the nib and the ink flow. 1.1 Stub gives you a crisp writing with lovely welcome feedback. I love it.

Yes the nib is friction fit and is easily removable. Nib is #5 steel nib and option of EF, F, M, B and 1.1 Stub is available on ECO.

eco-10.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Nib Unit Side View

eco-8.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Nib Unit Top View

eco-9.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Nib Unit Bottom View

The ink filling mechanism is via Piston which is the best considered ink filling mechanism. The pen holds almost just less than 2 ml of ink.

eco-2.jpg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Piston Filling Mechanism

The piston knob is easily removable via plastic wrench that is supplied with the pen. There is also silicone grease supplied with the pen.

Below are the images of my handwritten review and the writing sample:

img_20151108_130632-01.jpeg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Handwritten Review – Page 1

img_20151108_130709-01.jpeg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Handwritten Review – Page 2

img_20151108_130740-01.jpeg?w=768

TWSBI ECO – Handwritten Review – Page 3

CONCLUSION:

I am totally in love with this pen and the my iroshizuku ink looks stunning with this pen. The pen actually takes any color you want with the ink you put in the pen.

Buy it – thats my advice. Beautiful quality product at surprisingly low price (25 Euros) with TWSBI lifetime warranty.

The review has been posted simultaneous at my blog. Kindly visit blog for more detailed reviews here : LINK

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• amberleadavis

• Sooovasion247

• Jamerelbe

Excellent review! It seems like a very functional pen. Truthfully, however, I am not fond of demonstrator types of pens, so I doubt whether I will purchase one of these.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Fantastic review Vaibhav and congratulations on acquiring such a great writing instrument

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Great, com,prehensive review of the pen I'll never buy :) I just don't like its looks.

Thank you... I agree it's personal choice

vaibhav mehandiratta

Excellent review! It seems like a very functional pen. Truthfully, however, I am not fond of demonstrator types of pens, so I doubt whether I will purchase one of these.

Well the truth is I was also not fond of demonstrators till I got hold OF ASA Galactic... Now I love demonstrators

vaibhav mehandiratta

Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ LOL). Look at the colour of ink I've got in my white TWSBI Eco today.......

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_12_2015/post-100486-0-55663500-1449045646.jpg

Oh wow... The bright inks really light up the pen.. Amazing

vaibhav mehandiratta

Fantastic review Vaibhav and congratulations on acquiring such a great writing instrument

Thank you prithwijit

vaibhav mehandiratta

Vaibhav, the handwriting, photography and analysis of this pen are fantastic. Thank you for investing so much time in this review.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thank you for the detailed review Vaibhav. I read the review on my cell phone and enjoyed it a lot.

Since I am using the twsbi pen much, your review kind of reminded me to ink that once in a while :)

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

with this ink pen is looking more beautiful.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Vaibhav, the handwriting, photography and analysis of this pen are fantastic. Thank you for investing so much time in this review.

Thank you Bob... M glad you liked it..

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thank you for the detailed and help review. It must take a lot of time and effort to do that.

Thank you !

Yes it takes time and patience to do that.. To put across what I want to say in pics...

Thank you for going through review...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thank you for the detailed review Vaibhav. I read the review on my cell phone and enjoyed it a lot.

Since I am using the twsbi pen much, your review kind of reminded me to ink that once in a while :)

You should with some bluish ink...

vaibhav mehandiratta

with this ink pen is looking more beautiful.

Ink is Iroshizuku Tsutsuji.. Shared by one of my friend Rishminder

vaibhav mehandiratta